Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
So*Cal Vr4
56 Posts
And just to add on .. To make the car to us legal standards takes much more than $1500-$5000 on making it left hand drive.. You would have to buy another 2 exact GTR's ,pay the government to crash it and check if its withing us safety standards. All that runs up into the thousands and thousands of dollars that in the end you'll end up paying upwards of $100k and destroying a couple of r34 skylines for one skyline... That's the reason MotoreX did that Scam with the r34's.. It was too much money to make them DOT approved.

·
Super Moderator
3,199 Posts
sorry guys that i've been sol the past few days i had graduation practice and work this whole week. but yes you can drive it in the usa streets. you have to get it modified to meet every single dot rules for your state before being imported, via by your ri in japan. once you do that you may import it and go threw a whole lot of other custom issues. Even if it doesn't pass i can still own it and have it in my garage and tune it as a track car until the 25 years are up. It isn't the point of driving it on the streets for the reasons i want it. the reason i want it is to remind me of my farther and myself love for cars. ( we could never agree on any car ever except for the gt-r skylines).
You should probably read what others have posted in regards to the legality of it. I know at your age you know everything, but this topic has been discussed at length and quite a bit of research has been put into the topic. Just don't blow it off and read only what you WANT to see.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
sorry guys that i've been sol the past few days i had graduation practice and work this whole week. but yes you can drive it in the usa streets. you have to get it modified to meet every single dot rules for your state before being imported, via by your ri in japan. once you do that you may import it and go threw a whole lot of other custom issues. Even if it doesn't pass i can still own it and have it in my garage and tune it as a track car until the 25 years are up. It isn't the point of driving it on the streets for the reasons i want it. the reason i want it is to remind me of my farther and myself love for cars. ( we could never agree on any car ever except for the gt-r skylines).
No. You cannot drive on USA's streets in a R34 LEGALLY. It has nothing to do with "DOT", it has to do with NHTSA and FMVSS. It also has nothing to do with your state, it's Federal law

·
Lawn Ornament Since '08
2,670 Posts
^^^^^
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
...........If you go through with it your not going to be able to drive the car on the road. IE above post. But in honor of you father and for the sentimental reasons I say go for it. Import the car and keep it in the garage. DO NOT BRING IT OUT unless you KNOW cops aren't going to be around fo some reason.

If it was a dream you and your father shared screw what everyone says and get the car. keep it until its 25 years old (you might not get a chance like this again) then register it as a collectors car. If you get a 96 It'd probably easier to make it street legal around 2021....

Long story short, do it.
Hey look, I replied to this post before it was posted lol. Honestly since it means that much to you just get the car over here and keep it in your garage. Work on it when you want to feel close to your dad.

·
Registered
944 Posts
No. You cannot drive on USA's streets in a R34 LEGALLY. It has nothing to do with "DOT", it has to do with NHTSA and FMVSS. It also has nothing to do with your state, it's Federal law
Running a test pipe is also a violation of federal law but no one really checks or cares. With a r34 skyline they will probably get you.

·
Lawn Ornament Since '08
2,670 Posts
^^^
Ghetto rig a "heat shield" around your test pipe to make it look like a cat. My friend did that with his GSX and got away with it every time he takes his car through emissions. Or so he said.

·
Lawn Ornament Since '08
2,670 Posts
Just to be safe when the op is towing it home or to the track put a car cover over it. Not the cheap $30 ones either. The expensive multi layed car covers that have a zipper on the bottom and conform to the shape of the car.

·
?Mark
16,578 Posts
Soooooo you're saying he can't drive it on the street BUT he can drive it to and from the drags? What about dirt roads?

Scotty
No because it was still illigally imported.

·
?Mark
16,578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Soooooo you're saying he can't drive it on the street BUT he can drive it to and from the drags? What about dirt roads?

Scotty
What if it was towed from where it came from the boat to your garage? would it be legal???????????--*&
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yeah he could make it a track car that would have to be towed to the track, but it would have to be imported in pieces... which means he would have to pay somebody to, at the very least remove the engine, from the chassis. Pretty sure it also has to be in a separate container. Also, he would never be able to make it a legal car because of the import paperwork. Even if he stored it until it was 25+ years old, it still wouldn't be legal to register it because it wouldn't have the proper import papers ;)

·
Pay it forward
1,325 Posts
Why are people even wasting their time responding to this nonsense..............
Seriously, Ten pages. Let the kid think what he wants, if he has the money to bring it here in pieces just to look at it. So be it.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Seriously, Ten pages. Let the kid think what he wants, if he has the money to bring it here in pieces just to look at it. So be it.
10 pages :confused: I only have four ;)

I like to argue sometimes, especially with the young and naive.

·
In a metal band with JCVD
1,760 Posts
This thread is brought to you by: Penis brittle, the official snack of all threads dildos.

-Upper Management

·
?Mark
16,578 Posts
nein nein nein nein, which side of NEIN dont you get lol

81 - 100 of 125 Posts