Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone starts with saying i am young and what not, i'm 18 years old. yes i might be young in age standards but i've driven a car since i was 6 learned how to drive a stick at 8 and have been under the hood with my now past away farther since i was 10. did quite a few swaps in my day and even did some for some friends for money on the side.

iIhonestly just want an opinion on this. my parents are buying me an imported r34 skyline from japan, they offered to pay for everything. ( the car,import fees dop and other federal regulations to get the car certified).
as my graduation present from high school. so now my vr4 will become my daily driver and my skyline will be the weekend car and the mazda 6 i have will be sold hah.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In for pics ... why not get a used GTR if they can afford it they go for $50,000 or less for 2009 models. r34 price + import + converting it to lhd will cost a lot.
since i was little it was my fathers dream and myself to own one. and as my father passed when i was 15 it made me want to have one even more now. mom and step dad respect that vision for the reasons i want it. the car alone will run me 39k then import cost is around 1800 then converting the lhd is around 3-5k ( if i can get it done in the usa a buddy of mine owns a shop and has done it before he would do it for 1500). so i mean its quite expensive but then again.. what 18 year old can say they own a r34 skyline

i do like the gtrs tho easily tune-able! but then again who can say they have an r34

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its either i get an r34 threw Canada or i import an r33.

·
Registered
98 Posts
must be nice lol. I got first semesters college books. I get to keep the student debt though. I tried to trade them but they wouldn't budge.

·
nope
249 Posts
since i was little it was my fathers dream and myself to own one. and as my father passed when i was 15 it made me want to have one even more now. mom and step dad respect that vision for the reasons i want it. the car alone will run me 39k then import cost is around 1800 then converting the lhd is around 3-5k ( if i can get it done in the usa a buddy of mine owns a shop and has done it before he would do it for 1500). so i mean its quite expensive but then again.. what 18 year old can say they own a r34 skyline

i do like the gtrs tho easily tune-able! but then again who can say they have an r34

Thats a good story, take care of it, love it, and dont be scared to let the beast loose.. goodluck to ya!
im also 18 :p

·
GTO's a happening
14,000 Posts
I wouldn't bother unless it's the GT-R.

a buddy of mine owns a shop and has done it before he would do it for 1500
I've heard that before but found it to be untrue. Very interested to hear if it can be done.

Is it a GTR? if not then it'll be slower than your vr4. GTS is like 240 but bigger/ heavier and 2 more cylinder.
It depends on what the previous owner has done. ;)

Scotty

·
mitsu lover
967 Posts
This has always been my dream as well ever since I was 14. It is a beautiful car and to me it is the cars of all cars to ever be made in Japan. But I realized one day is it worth it... Even if I managed to get one here what type of condition would it be in. Do I want to buy a car sight unseen. Than my biggest problem with owning these cars PARTS!!! When I need to buy something even small stuff I can't just run down to the local parts store or even go on most websites to buy stuff. And I hate waiting a long time for parts to arrive. I would also go paranoid that someone would steal it lol. I'm in for pics though. My .02 R34 is better than the R35 ;-) I would also take a Silvia over the new R35 as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You must be very rich, but hey if you've got the money why not? R34 is definitely on my list of cars I would consider buying if I had the money. But depending on what state you're the importing law are different and they might decide to screw you

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
VR4 for a DD? Dude, keep the mazda (too).

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
R34's aren't legal in the us to drive on public roads.
This... sorry to be a dream crusher, at least for the next few years. When the vehicle is 25+ years old, you can import it :)

I heard they were seizing "legally imported" Skylines because the place (motoplex or something like that) that went through the testing faked a lot of the paperwork/crash data.

·
mitsu lover
967 Posts
This... sorry to be a dream crusher, at least for the next few years. When the vehicle is 25+ years old, you can import it :)

I heard they were seizing "legally imported" Skylines because the place (motoplex or something like that) that went through the testing faked a lot of the paperwork/crash data.
Oh yea forgot about that rule/law. Seems like should be less restrictive if it is just a track car though.

·
Premium Member
4,789 Posts
As posted above, the R34 is not street legal at this point in time.

Congrats on graduating high school though, must have been lots of hard work.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts