Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be short and to the point tomorrow I will go further indept with exact names of each wax.
After waxing my car about 4 times over the last few days I've tried using several different brands the results are as follows

First I use Meguiares Paste Cleaner wax. This left the surface nice and smooth and got rid of some of the oxidation. Very good product to use in place of DAWN.
Second - I used Meguiares Stage 2 POLISH - the surface actually felt really really nice. The surface had a very strong reflective surface to it. Couple coats were needed in problem areas. Especially hood and around sunroof.
Third - I used Zymol - Comes in a blue bottle, comes out blue.
This is a very good wax. While the shind isn't as good as meguaires gold class. This wax last longer and will end up looking better in the long run. Dust easily wipes off(having a black car this is very important). This was also the easiest wax to apply and remove. I did one body part at a time. One whole fender then let it turn to a haze and buff off. Easy to remove. This also beads the water up so as soon as they hit the just slide right off basically.
Fourth - Meguiares Gold Class - This product does have a better shine than any other product I've used. However it only last for a few days. Its water repellent compounds however are the best. Water seems to just sit their and leave waterspots.
Fifth - Meguiares (forgot name comes in tan bottle cost about 8 bucks) This was the hardest one to remove once it turned to a haze. There wasn't much of a difference in this than the Gold Class to make the purchase worth it. Does not repell water as good as Zymol.
Sixth - Mothers Liquid Cleaner wax - This product removed/hid scratches better than the other products. Easy to apply easy to wipe off. The shine/Smoothness it left isn't as high as the other either. This should be the first coat of wax or used as a touch up to rid of scratches. Tested this one on my black paint/blue flake and White paint of a older mustang. Better results on the Mustang.

-Jeff
Zaino Tests coming this spring :)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I'm in the process of starting over myself. Started on Thursday. Washed the car with DAWN *GASP!* and I was amazed at how damn easy the old zaino just wiped right off... when I got done getting it all off the car was so dull it was depressing lol. So I started the zaino process... Z1... then Z3. One coat on Thursday, another on Saturday, and then a 3rd yesterday. I'm thinking about going to 5 coats which would make the 4th tomorrow. Not sure if I'm going to put 2 more on or not... probably will since it gets easier each coat you apply and shinier each time as well... and for some reason my Dad &/or Sister always seem to want to stand out there and watch me wash & wax for an hour or 2 lol they say "We have nothing better to do" sad huh? :p
I wish I had a black car... or that our red cars were as naturally bright and shiny as the Pontiac red you see on firebirds and grand ams. Guess I could always zaino my Dad's durango since it's black heh ;)

Why wait till spring to zaino? I did it the other day when it was 50 degrees and it still dried just as fast... I just went inside and watched TV for an hour or 2 then went out and buffed it back off. That's why I like it... hot... cold... in the shade... in the sun... it doesn't matter. :)
I just wish they'd hurry up and release that damn quick drying additive so you can put more than 1 coat on per day.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do it now, but I'm broke and gettign tired of waxing it for the year :)

-Jeff

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Ah good point ;)
Kinda surprises me now... I don't get sore or tired at all when I wax my car now.. but my 280lb body building bro in law was bitching after just 1 day of waxing his new truck :p
I put coat #4 on today btw... I can take pics when I'm done if anybody gives a damn... other than Bob that is I know he wanted some when I was supposed to do this waxfest months ago... ;)

·
Ferrari Nut
2,675 Posts
Here's my best secret formula, because I ran into the exact same problem you guys did.

1) Meguires Polish OR Zymol cleaner wax
(To bring the gloss back and light swirl marks)

2) Either Eagle 1 or Mothers PURE CARNUBA WAX
Important note, the body panels must be cool! No residual heat from just turning off your engine cooking the hood etc. The reason is, because the wax cools faster and sets harder. Let the wax set on the car for about an hour. Go and kill some time watching tv or better yet, get on the net and hope you forget!! It's better that way. Then I go for about two more coats, 3 total. 5 in the summer.

Buff it off and you got glossy wax shine.

KEEEPING THE WAX ON BETWEEN WASHES:
I'm a die hard detail nut, so this is how I make it last. Washing either by hand and hose, or if I have to, use car wash soap with wax additives in it.

IT IS THE DEATH PENALTY TO USE DISH OR LAUNDRY SOAP! NEVER LET THAT TOUCH YOUR CAR, UNLESS YOU WANT TO STRIP IT OF EVERYTHING AND START OVER.

was that shouting enough for you all? :D

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing I do...which i forgot to mention and is very important. After I buff the zymol off completely. I only let it set for a few minutes, it says don't let it dry out.

I take a hair spray bottle. Put it on the mist spray. Then I cover each part of the car with a slight mist and buff off again. This helps set the wax, leaving a smoother shiney finish.

-Jeff

·
Dare to be Stupid
2,739 Posts
Try some Liquid Glass polish. I haven't been able to find it around here lately, but I used to have a can of it and it was the best stuff shinywise I ever used. Also gave it a slickness I've never seen with anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts