Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded my sl for a vr4 and notice that the clutch and stick shift is pretty tough, not as smooth as other manuel car. You gotta step pretty hard for the cluch to go down. Leg can be really tired when stuck in a traffic jam.

Would replacing a new RPS Clutch improve the smoothness?
and the stick shift it's like(uhg, get in gear damn it)
people (sale people) i talk to tells me, "it's a sport car, it's like that". My @ss. I got in to a Mitsu. EVO and it's like smooth and light as heck.

Anyway, hopefully someone got the answer. thanks

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Well the clutch in a VR4 definitely takes much more pressure to push down. But you say it is hard to get in gear? That should not feel any different. Is this when driving? Or just sitting still. Could be back syncros in the transmission. Could be the clutch not fully disengaging. Does it have a short throw shifter? Cause that makes it tougher to shift.

The RPS actually makes the pedal harder. Whereas the 3sx clucthes are excellent and give you a softer pedal. The 3sx clutch is actully easier to drive with than the stock.

·
Registered
79 Posts
its hard because of : twin turbos vacuum pressure and the 6 cylinder .... its like this for all heavy duty cars

the evo isnt like it because its a single turbo 4 banger....

dont worry....you feel it as an annoyance at first and then it becomes second nature so its no biggie at all....i should know since i switched from a 2.0 jetta to a rt/tt.....hah big difference in power....

plus, for me at least, the longer i drive it in a single run as it gets heated up it gets smoother to press in...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That's kind of weird.....I drive a 5spd SL and I've driven a VR4 before. With the clutch assist, I found the VR4 pedal the same, if not a bit easier to depress than my SL. If the pressure it really high, try bleeding your hydraulic lines for the clutch. You may need to just get some air out of there.

·
Registered
108 Posts
didida
It sounds like you may have a stuffed "one way valve" between the intake manifold and the clutch vaccum assist booster. Mine failed and I had very heavy clutch pedal pressure when boosting (alot of the time).
Stevet

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for reading and/or replying.

My shifter n clutch, both are stock.
I'll ask n try the things you guys told me about.
The 3sx clutch sounds good. Will check into that.

Anymore suggestions would be helpful.
I really like the car. If I can't make the clutch n shifter easier, then it's bye bye. Evolution 8?

·
Registered
580 Posts
maybe the previous owner removed the clutch booster canister
it makes your clutch harder... you can check that too...
It is located on the passenger side, in front of the wheelwell, on the bottom of the car. Basically way under the passenger headlight.

good luck hope you figure stuff out

·
Matt Sherman
3,898 Posts
RickyN29 said:

The RPS actually makes the pedal harder. Whereas the 3sx clucthes are excellent and give you a softer pedal. The 3sx clutch is actully easier to drive with than the stock.

with your 3sx clutch, how long have you had it? Have you notice any slipping, or problems with it. I haven't seen many "reviews" on it, but they sound like an awsome deal. if I get a TT i was going to get upgrade clutch...and 3sx was one of the ones I'm lookin at.

Matt

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
from 3SX Performance

here's what they said in the email:

Our clutches have a little more pedal pressure required than the stock clutch, but not as much as the RPS clutches. I've driven the RPS's and they definitely require more pressure on the pedal. Steve has the Stage 3 in his car (a 4-puck sprung hub) in his car and the pedal pressure is a little more than stock but is definitely not going to kill you if you get stuck in traffic. I just went out and pressed on it a few times and it's got a good solid feel but doesn't require a workout to depress. Pedal pressure will be the same for all our clutches as they all use the same pressure plate.

so the 3sx clutch is not softer than the stock one?
hmmm. now I'm back to more researching.

Hey RickyN29 what do you think?
can anyone else recommend a 3sx clutch?

thanks

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
Well, I upgraded from OEM to the 3SX Stage II and I am pretty sure that the pedal was equal if not a little easier than the stock one. One thing for sure is that the car is much easier/smoother to drive with the 3sx. When I was looking to buy a clutch I talked to numerous members and they all highly recommended the 3sx. Only one member I spoke with has had problems. After 1200 miles on the clutch it began to slip after just a few minutes of hard driving. Obvious this is abnormal, could be installed wrong, or possibly manufacturer defect, but I don't know.

I think you are safe going with any product from 3SX. Great company, great products, exceptional service.

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
didida said:
Thanks to all for reading and/or replying.

My shifter n clutch, both are stock.
I'll ask n try the things you guys told me about.
The 3sx clutch sounds good. Will check into that.

Anymore suggestions would be helpful.
I really like the car. If I can't make the clutch n shifter easier, then it's bye bye. Evolution 8?
The clutch is that bad/hard, that you would sell it? I run a RPS II, which in my car requires TONS of pedal pressure. Get used to it, don't sell it! It's tolorable.

·
Moller Skycar tester
362 Posts
South Bend Clutches, DXD series as well as the 3sx clutches use lower PSI pressure plates then ACT, Centerforce or RPS.

The South Bend DXD clutch uses a 2400 pound pressure plate which is not much more then the stock pressure plate. This clutch holds 500 HP at the wheels and feels like stock pedal pressure.

The RPS clutches for instance use 2600 and 2900 pound pressure plates, thus the increased force required to press the pedal, pushing the throwout bearing, releasing the pressure plate from the clutch disk.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
CLUTCH ASSIST must not be connected or working. I have NEVER had anyone that drove my car (male or female) complain about the clutch being hard.

Easy test. Try pushing in the clutch in and out 10 times with the car OFF. Start the car and try it again. If it isn't easier with the car running you have a problem with the clutch assist.

Note: Air in the clutch hydraulic lines would cause a spongy clutch and possibly make it difficut to shift, but it wiould not increase the required clutch pedal pressure.

Clint

·
I am the 1.85% =
2,362 Posts
didida said:
would changing to a lighter flywheel make the clutch a little easy on the pressure?
No. A lighter flywheel only affects the rotational mass allowing the engine to rev quicker. The pressure of the clutch is only dependent upon the pressure plate itself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts