Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
At 50hp per cylinder cooling is more important than max pressure sealing.

Headgasket failure in stock 6g’s is almost unheard of. Na 2j’s pop headgaskets all the time.

·
The dark shall be with us
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hmm never head head gasket to be a big issue on 2jz. I think na 2jz had different heads than the turbo. Maybe the boosted ones? I know the mk3 turbos had gasket issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,227 Posts
I read somewhere that someone's friend was an engineer and said if no coolant goes under fire ring on MLS gasket, the gasket get blown. Considering 2jz has no coolant under the fire ring or any hemi cylinder heads and do fine , then I guess it's not as big of a deal as they thought.

At this point, there is NOTHING holding 6Gs back other than owners. Billet crank, aluminum rods, pyramid rings, (pin or weld if you want), big turbos and turn up the boost. Most seem to forget that last part too.

Unless the foundry screwed up and cast the blocks as 6 cylinders in error. Was supposed to be 8. Damn foundry.

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Transmission still weak though. I think if you want to see the true potential of 6g, we got to go with rwd set up and a 4 link rear suspension. The gearing customization is pretty much limitless and gearing is very important when it comes with drag racing and you can match it with your power band of your engine if you have the option to do so.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Lol it's human nature not to be satisfied. That's why we are always advancing.

Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I’d rather blow a car up 16 times figuring out how to optimize it than not run it for a decade.

No matter how much pencil work you do it still takes physical implementation and testing/failures to get it right. Ask your engineer friend about that.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Transmission still weak though. I think if you want to see the true potential of 6g, we got to go with rwd set up and a 4 link rear suspension. The gearing customization is pretty much limitless and gearing is very important when it comes with drag racing and you can match it with your power band of your engine if you have the option to do so.

How is the trans weak? People are putting 1200+ horsepower through the 5 speeds without stripping gears?

Launching a 3800lb car on drag radials will break any cars drivetrain.

People are cutting 1.2 60’s with stock Dsm t cases. They are much weaker than the getrag parts. Light weight and slicks help a lot. But that comes back to the downfall of the platform, unrealistic expectations.

These people are convinced that a 3800lb 30 year old car can run 9’s make 1200hp and still be as streetable as when it was new.

·
7,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
I didn't mean just breaking the gears or case. I have a connection in Malaysia where I can make billet case for affordable price. I meant more like gearing optimized for drag racing since everyone see the car potential based on how well it does at the quarter mile. Brain should update his build thread. I want to see how well his face plate doing. I might go with 3rd and 4th gear on my 5 speed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
At 50hp per cylinder cooling is more important than max pressure sealing.

Headgasket failure in stock 6g’s is almost unheard of. Na 2j’s pop headgaskets all the time.

Pretty sure 2jna head gasket is same as 2j-t.....no head gasket problem, good nternals for high HP...

Now the engine before the 2j was the 7mge and 7mgte and those popped head gaskets between as early as 60k on original motor.....

7m head was a shit head gasket for real....pretty sure the gasket failed to have metal rings around cylinder holes until later it was redesigned....

Inline 6 headbolts called for 58lbs of to torque.....forums recommend 80lbs.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Pretty sure 2jna head gasket is same as 2j-t.....no head gasket problem, good nternals for high HP...

Now the engine before the 2j was the 7mge and 7mgte and those popped head gaskets between as early as 60k on original motor.....

7m head was a shit head gasket for real....pretty sure the gasket failed to have metal rings around cylinder holes until later it was redesigned....

Inline 6 headbolts called for 58lbs of to torque.....forums recommend 80lbs.
I have seen many lexus’s With the 2j na and a blown headgasket.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,227 Posts
7m has soft head material. They pushed the failure HP up tremendously when one guy started using steel inserts in the head stud holes.

6 g heads will yield too. I’ve mushroomed with head studs on both 6g and 4g. Really screws up your tq on the stud when the material yields. I used inserts on 4g with great success. No reason you can’t do the same for 6gs. I personally would if planning on tq’ing beefy studs down hard.

And before anyone says, get larger washers, yes that helps but not the same deal.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
The inserts keep the metal from crushing inward towards the stud in the bolt hole. Load capacity goes way up when you brace something.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,227 Posts
Yeah, the aluminum can’t really go anywhere with a hardened steel insert in the hole approx an inch plus the steel shoulder

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,227 Posts
What's the tolerance/clearance between the head bolts or studs and the holes in 6G heads? I guess I've never noticed how much of a gap there is.
Havent measured, but it’s enough to smash aluminum and even press it into the stud threads. The shouldered inserts eliminate the issue.

Can you guys elaborate on these steel inserts?

I’ll search for some pics when I get a chance Or my 4Gswap thread has them in there somewhere. I bough 4G specific ones and later found out I could have used off the shelf ones from machine shop for domestics. They have a lot of sizes available already.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
61 - 80 of 80 Posts