Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT I BROKE IT GOING 80mph!!!!

damn :(

i had just bought this 92 VR4 and i was trying to see if i can get the Aero system working again. i found out that the rear spoiler needs a new motor, it only works one way. and i discovered the front spoiler DID work till i had to push it to its limits, lol.

the new air dam is $500!!! but thank god i don't have to buy a new motor which is $900 :eek:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Look in the classifieds for cheaper parts. $500 is ridiculous just to fix AA.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Are you sure its a motor for the rear spoiler? Working just one way sounds more like a dodgy micro switch to me to be honest.

Wounder on the front spoiler though.....mine intermittantly worked, I cured it by stripping down the motor and cleaning the tracks on the disc. Worked spot on ever since :)

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Don't pay that much. I replaced mine a while back after it ripped off completely (well, not quite, but about 4 bolts were holding it on) on the highway.

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts
mine was not put on at the factory......wait i am a stealth..ahahah

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you sure its a motor for the rear spoiler? Working just one way sounds more like a dodgy micro switch to me to be honest.

Wounder on the front spoiler though.....mine intermittently worked, I cured it by stripping down the motor and cleaning the tracks on the disc. Worked spot on ever since :)
What are the tracks on the disc? Mine works about 7 times before only making a 1/2 turn and then needs to be reset. Thanks!

·
'96 VR4
3,291 Posts
LOL. Uh... did you notice this thread is from six years ago?

The tracks on the disk are just insulated/copper areas that the little metal arms ride on. As the disk turns, the arms make contact or not to tell the AA where the front air dam is.

I also have to do some work on my AA; I played with those some last year. IDK how you set it up correctly - I suspect you have to crank it by hand if they're out of phase.

BTW, I could use that front dam if you can dig it out of the trash, Coop.

Paul T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ha yep, guess these problems are timeless! Thanks for defining the tracs for me. Was almost ready to trash the dam and go with the simulator, but got it all working. Ya, the 3 metal tabs all have to line up in the middle of one of the gaps (depending on if you removed it in the up or down position). There's a thread here somewhere with pics to show exact position. You use the crank knob to rotate it to the right position. Quick tip : If you get the front working great, and the back spoiler is still is intermittant, try squirting some WD-40 in the moving sleeve parts with the spoiler still mounted on the car. Worked for me!

·
'96 VR4
3,291 Posts
Ha yep, guess these problems are timeless! Thanks for defining the tracs for me. Was almost ready to trash the dam and go with the simulator, but got it all working. Ya, the 3 metal tabs all have to line up in the middle of one of the gaps (depending on if you removed it in the up or down position). There's a thread here somewhere with pics to show exact position. You use the crank knob to rotate it to the right position. Quick tip : If you get the front working great, and the back spoiler is still is intermittant, try squirting some WD-40 in the moving sleeve parts with the spoiler still mounted on the car. Worked for me!
Great to hear. My wing is fine; in fact, I finally got the car fired up tonight for the first time this year and checked again. Rear wing works great, front is still disconnected. I will start this weekend and see if I can get it all back together. Nice job fixing yours. I know it doesn't actually matter, but the AA is one of my favorite features on the car and I want it working again!

·
Marshall Taylor
1,112 Posts
This thread is back from the dead. Someone posted a couple of months ago they were looking into making the front air dam plastics. Hopefully that plan will work out for those in need. Good Luck!

Marshall

·
3SNY - HondaTurtleFTW
4,746 Posts
3d print the fuckers if there in such demand :D
To be honest we should make a thread, stickied, with 3d printing ideas, and potentially members that are working on them or have made them already.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts