Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the stock hp and torque on the 1974 Mercury cougar

Quarter mile times = ?
0-60 times = ?

I can't find and consistent info in the internet

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
It depends grealty on the engine size and whether its built or not..... Even the best big block by 1974 was pretty much crap though, I wouldn't worry too much.

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Its crap. If they claim 400Hp its either really built, new engine, or they really mean 250HP. Its also heavy, probably is a one wheel wonder with crap tires. If its a stockish 74 6.6, its like a 15 or 16 second car....You will be able to destroy it even if your stock. It will be louder than your car though...:p

·
You break em, we fix em
1,266 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Those cars should be VERY heavy, not all wheel drive, etc. I'd say you can eat him.

·
Anti-Member
306 Posts
You've got nothing to worry about:)

I doubt the 400hp number, since the 390 was not a popular engine to modify, and nobody in their right mind would modify a '74 Cougar.

If he's stock, here would be my GUESS for a '74 Cougar with a 390:

Horsepower: 180
Torque: 300

0-60: 12 secs

1/4 mile: 18 secs

This is in no way a performance oriented car like the '67-'70 Cougars were. It probably weighs 4500+ pounds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i used to own a 74 Mercury Cougar XR7. I bought it for $175 dollars in pretty much great condition. It comes with a 351Windsor Ford Engine, Factory in most 70's-late 80's Ford F-Series pickups. It is the heaviest car I have ever owned. It will probably do a 1/4 in 18-19 sec. Regardless if you drive a Ford Fucus wagon running on 3 cylinders, you will bend him over without using vasoline.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool thanks for the info, I'll be sure to rape him without Vasoline...wait i don't own a Ford Fucus...damn!

But you guys are saying that the most powerful '74 cougar has no more than 180 hp & 300 torque stock running 18-19 quarter miles

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
um..evildisko, why did you post all those pictures? and what are they of? they resemble an avenger, but are definitely not.

·
Anti-Member
306 Posts
RugBurn said:
Cool thanks for the info, I'll be sure to rape him without Vasoline...wait i don't own a Ford Fucus...damn!

But you guys are saying that the most powerful '74 cougar has no more than 180 hp & 300 torque stock running 18-19 quarter miles
According to what you said earlier this cougar has a 390, which probably was not the most powerful since the 460 could have been an option. The numbers I gave you were just a guess, but as long as the car is stock should be close enough.

·
is dominating the race!
7,527 Posts
one thing is for sure, a 74 cougar is butt ugly, they messed them up after 69 or 70, and turned them into huge craps on wheels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts