Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that don't know, I'm in a bar-room boxing tournament called "Badass of the Bay" with $5K to the winner.

If you haven't read about last week's fight, do a search for "boxing tournament".

Last night was great! My fight was awesome! I ran 2-3 miles a day all last week and did a couple of light workouts to break my muscles in. I weighed in at a feathery 150 because I've been running a lot and not lifting heavy weights. The guy I fought weighed about 160 and was muscled up. He had veins all in his arms and chest. He was from a local boxing club that fights in bars and gyms.

I'm not a good boxer, so I knew I was in for a tough fight, and the guy was hella muscled up compared to my scrawny ass.

First round, he came out bobbing and weaving, and I couldn't land a good hit. Every time I'd try to hit him, he'd duck and come back and just NAIL me in the face. No sissy wide swings from him, all straight punches to the face. I figured out real quick that he was too quick to hit, so I just covered up and let him pound on me and I'd ocasionally get in a good uppercut. In the first round, he hit me probably 30 times, all with force behind them, and I only got about 5 good hits on him. The thing is, he can hit me all damn day and there's no way I'm going down. I kept solid footing the whole time and just took what he dished out and tried unsuccessfully to match blows with him a couple times. I took so many hard hits it looked like a massacre, but I never lost my footing or stopped throwing in a few punches every now and then. I remember the announcer saying "He's gonna go down, folks, these are hard hits".

1st round ended, whew!

My corner man told me to keep my head up during the fight. He told me when I tried to hit the guy I was lowering my head and the guy was just sidestepping me and nailing me on the head. I told him "If I keep my head up, he'll hit me in the face!", and he told me to trust him and keep my head up, so I tried it in the 2nd round.

It worked! Every time the guy would swing at me, I could actually dodge his swings, amazing what actually LOOKING at him can do. Ha ha. The guy was more tired than me, so I was able to dodge most of his hits and land some good shots of my own. The second round was pretty even. It was a slug fest. We were both landing good hits right on each others' chins and noses, but no one would drop. The crowd was on its feet right next to the ring and everyone was going "oh!" when we landed hits.

When we started the 3rd round, he was gasping for air and I wasn't. I figured out that every time I jabbed at him wth my left hand, he nailed me square in the face with a hard right. Needless to say, I didn't like that. I started faking him out with really slow left jabs, acting like I was too tired to swing hard, then when he tried to nail me I'd block his right with my left arm and hit him with a hard right to the face. I got in enough hard rights to get him wobbly, then I absolutely punished him. We had about 30 seconds left in the final (3rd) round, and I got him GOOD with a hard right to his stomach. When he dropped his gloves to cover his gut, I got him in the jaw and he hit the mat!!!!!!! He was down for over 10 seconds, but just like last week, the ref was giving him the benifit of the doubt because he was the favored fighter. After he got up, he was bent over reeling around like he was about to fall again, and he wouldn't put his gloves up. The ref gave him a standing 8 count to see if he could recover (it should've been a damn knockout!), and he was yelling at the guy telling him to put his gloves up. I was ready to kick his ass, right behind the ref with my gloves up, but finally he fell down again and the crowd went crazy.

My corner man had been rude to all his other fighters, just walking away and not helping them get out of their gloves and stuff, but he was right there slapping my back and laughing, and telling everyone how good I did. I walked by the loser and he was laid out with his eyes rolled back. I told him "nice fight, I'll see you next week", and he just groaned. Rusch(my neighbor) and Jamie(my girl) were jumping up and down, and someone from the crowd told me he had lost $20 because he bet on the other guy. Everyone was so excited because the fight was so energetic and suspensful.

I got my $30 prize money and when we left my corner man followed us out and told me he was a trainer/manager and has pro fighters that are on ESPN(whoop-de-doo). He told me he trains people for a fee at a gym, but when he sees someone with potential he will train them for free, planning on making money off of them later. He asked me for my number and I told him I'd get back with him next week when I had a level head. He said I can take a punch like no one he's seen, and he couldn't believe I didn't get knocked out in the 1st round. He said I had a lot of power for a 150lb person and he could teach me to hit even harder. He told me I was adaptive and listened well and he'd like to at least start giving me tips and pointers for my Friday night fights and see how well I listen and apply his advice. I wish I had gotten his number so I could get some tips for next week, but I was pretty dazed and didn't feel like talking.

Hopefully next week will be easier, but last night was definitely a great fight.

My neighbor couldn't bring his camera in last night, but he's going to try to sneak it in with the radio station's equipment (he works for them) next Friday and record my fight.

Thanks for reading! I'm going for a run!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Congrats!;) Sounds like you got some potential. Do ya think your going to try and go anywhere with it? If so, I think you should try the televised "tough man" contest. I watched it last night and this punk called "New York Knockout" or something like that was pretty good. He was a built dude and closer to the mid-heavyweight range, but he was kicking some major ass. The crowd hated him because he was so cocky!:D I lauged at most of the guys he fought because he actually had trained hard for these fights and some guys came out with no training thinking they were gonna do well and they just got slaughtered by him.

Anyways, i think you should try it!;) You never know! God didn't give us gifts/talents to waste....

·
Registered
402 Posts
Punchy

Drew:

Cool beans man....just try to save some of that gray matter dude. Would hate to see the quality of your posts go down. :D

Lee

·
20 yr owner
1,867 Posts
Niiice..but $30.00 for winning:eek: ...well on
second thought 99.9% of bar fight winners
never get paid.:mad:

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Beast---$30 per win, and $5,000 at the end of the tournament.

Czarcasmus---I have a stiff neck, my head aches when I shake it, and my nose if sore as hell, but I feel normal aside from that. Last night right after the fight I couldn't see too well. I had bad tunnel vision, so whatever I looked at, everything else was spotty. I couldn't read the label on the Aleve bottle. That wore off after a couple hours, so I made Jamie, Rusch, and I some french bread pizza and we all stayed up til 5am.

LeeNetworX---I would never become a "real" fighter because I don't want to end up like Ali or Leonard.. ssslllloooowwww.

Head injuries kill brain cells and impair the nerves that transmit electrical energy, and I'd like to keep my brain fairly intact. I've had 5 concussions, so I'll never fight without headgear.

If this trainer sees some potential in me, I may let him help me win some money in local fights, but there's no way I'm going to go into pro boxing and get this pretty face all messed up.

Right now I'm just having fun and winning the $30 every Friday and fixing up the Valiant a bit. So far I've put a set of hubcaps on it, and I lowered the front end 3.5", so now I need a set of 3" blocks to lower the rear end, and I want some wide rear tires, new shocks, and a grill. Hopefully I'll keep winning and the Vallie will look good in a few weeks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
good story man. I hope you do well again next friday.

but drew, forget boxing. I think you should looking into reporting or news writing. you described the event so vividly and organized, you
should seriously thinkn about it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
$30?? That sounded like a $5K fight. What happened, weren't you the overall winner or is it an ongoing tourny? Anyway, congrats!! You told a great story with edge of your seat, in your face details!! Good job man!!

·
Registered
708 Posts
As a student majoring in Neuroscience, I will hold back my medical advice regarding boxing. ;)

However.......Sounded like an awesome fight!! Congrats dude!:D

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Rocky!

ROCKY! ROCKY!!! ROCKY !!! ROCKY!!! :D

WICKEDDREW: ADRIENEEEEEE, ADRIENNN...i mean...JAMIEEEEEEE!!

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
how long are the rounds?

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everyone---Thanks for the support and well wishes.

mattboyl---There's still a while to go in the tournament. I'm still trying to get in shape because I didn't find out about it until the week it started. Now I'm on a crash course to condition and train.

Redrocket---Tell me what could happen to me. Remember that we wear headgear and 16oz gloves, and I've yet to see anyone get knocked flat out because no one hits hard enough. The only knockouts I've seen are due to exhaustion combined with a medium force blow. Is there any danger of permanent damage from me doing this series and maybe a few weekend fights every now and then? Last night my vision was all spotty and I had tunnel vision, and my head hurts when I shake it. Mild concussion maybe? I've had plenty of concussions before, and that's sure as hell what it felt like last night.

billvp---They stop the clock so often that it ends up being like 4-5 minutes per round, but I think they're supposed to be 3 minutes. They stop the clock all the time, and they do standing 10 counts instead of 8's, and this makes 2 weeks in a row I've put someone on the mat for over 10 seconds with no KO. Last night, they gave him like 20 seconds to get up, plus a standing 10 count because he couldn't stand up straight and hold his gloves up. If he hadn't fallen down again, I would have slaughtered him.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Go Drew !

Drew: Great description of the fights. I'm looking forward to hearing more as you move up in the ranks.

Everyone: Have you noticed the slight slurrrrr in Drew's typing recently? Do you guys think this has anything to do with allowing Drew's bar-friends to bash their knuckles into his head ?? :)

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Congrats man. I can definately see you fighting like Brad Pitt did as that "Pikey" in the movie SNATCH. Just hit some big ass guy 1 time sqare in the jaw and watch him drop LOL!

·
Registered
708 Posts
WICKEDDREW said:
Redrocket---Tell me what could happen to me. Is there any danger of permanent damage from me doing this series and maybe a few weekend fights every now and then? Last night my vision was all spotty and I had tunnel vision, and my head hurts when I shake it. Mild concussion maybe? I've had plenty of concussions before, and that's sure as hell what it felt like last night.
Since I've started studying the brain, I tend to look at contact sports with more scrutiny with the more I learn (except hockey of course, that's in my genes being a Canadian and all :) )

Definitely a concussion. In the ER we call it "Closed Head Injury" because "mild" downplays the severity.

In layman's terms, the brain is like cottage cheese floating in a case. Any blows to the head, no matter what the protection will cause it to bang around in there, which is not good. If you experience anything like tunnel vision, or pain in your head, something is wrong (even if it is temporarily).: Nerve cells are either overstimulated (such as the spots you saw), or may be temporarily damaged. Nerve cells do not regenerate (for the most part). The brain is not made to handle any type of physical blow. It is not uncommon for the brain to exhibit internal bleeding after a concussion or other types of head injury. If an artery starts bleeding out after a fight within the cortex, a patient may permanently lose speech or comprehension abilities depending on where the trauma is. The cranial nerves and their nuclei that control facial expression, muscle tone in the face, chewing, kissing and all that good stuff are also susceptible to permanent damage through internal bleeding, which can happen even with the best protective padding over the skull.

Muhammed Ali is an example of a person who has suffered severe head trauma. He does not have Parkinson's, contrary to popular belief. Some of his physical signs are clearly non-Parkinsonian. Some of his other symptoms, however, are similar to Parkinson's because there is damage to some related parts of his basal ganglia (tiny groups of cells near the center of the brain).

I hope you find this info useful. Also try emedicine.com and search for "head injury" or "intracranial bleed".

·
Open it up!
334 Posts
Sounds like a massive adrenaline rush. You've got balls, man. But all that head injury stuff bothers me. On the other hand, I was a DJ for 15 years, knowing it could hurt my hearing. And it has. Still, there are other ways to get adrenaline rushes. Like drag racing. I never get a headache.

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
You're a sick man Drew

Congradulations Drew: You are a sick man, and thats why we love you!

P.S. My wife works part time with a rehab program for people with serious head trauma. My wife gives them simple assignments in real life situations to help them adjust to real world again. Last week 5 patients were able to buy a weeks worth of groceries for us in only 4 hours! All we did is supply the grocery list and cash.

I would love to be able to box like that but my reflex are so slow you would think I already had the head injuries:rolleyes:

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeffmull---Actually, it's not that much of a rush to me. All day before the fight, I get butterflies in my stomach and I'm all jittery, but once I get into the ring, I'm all tapped out of adrenaline and I'm pretty calm. During the fight, I'm thinking to myself the whole time, usually stuff like "man, he hits pretty hard, I should try to cover up", and "all I need is to hit him in the chin and he's out". I also listen to the announcer and take his advice. He runs a boxing gym, so if he says "go for the body", I do it, even though he isn't directly talking to me.

Oh man, you neurologist wanna-be guys are really making me feel great :rolleyes:. So I'm never going to be able to buy groceries, huh? Looks like I better get used to Kool-Aid and Hershey's Symphony Bars!

I'm still fighting this week, even though my nose is still sore as hell. I think the worst of it is over(I hope! :eek: ). The guy I fought this time was strong, quick, and he knew what he was doing, so surely I won't run into another guy with the same skill combo. All he lacked was endurance and the ability to take a punch, both of which lost the fight for him.

I may not float like a butterfly, but I do sting like a bee, and I can take a sting like no one else! Pretty much my tactic is: let them wear themselves out by pounding on my face, then beat the shit out of them when they're tired.:D

Like I said, my method sure looks bad in the beginning, but we all know who ends up laid out on the mat after the match!;)

I upped my training this week, so I'm running more and doing more sprints, backwards running, and sideways running, and I'm doing very light weight lifting with a ton of reps.

Maybe my friend Rusch can sneak his camera in this Friday!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts