Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Always needing parts...
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you may be aware, I got my TD04 FMIC w/hard pipes kit from Fabberge.

I'd like to start by saying that I'm over all happy with my experience with them. There were issues, but Stas and Brian made it right.

This basically started with me sending an email to Fabberge around awhile back, it took about 3 weeks before I heard back from them because Stas was out of the country, which I can understand. He did make up for it more than I would have ever imagined he would have though, I have to give a shout out for his customer service on how he made up for the time it took to get back to me.

Basically, he had the kit installed at no extra cost to me. The labor for the install probably cost as much as the kit, so I was pretty mind blown by this. I doubt he'll be giving away too many free installs for these things after the hell of a time his guys had getting my kit installed.

Brian did tell me that the kit required some modifications to fit right and they did get it all together well. The car is running pretty much the same as it was when I dropped it off, so that's good news.

I ran in to a couple of issues almost immediately after driving off with the car, which I'd like to give another shout out for their customer service about because Brian stuck around to help me out and fix the issues. Basically the issues were dumb, front turn signals weren't plugged back in yet, I'm sure that was easy to over look. He plugged them back in and there was no more issue there.

Next issue was that I wouldn't shift into second, a pipe was blocking it, he moved it and suggested that I delete to clutch booster for this to fit better. I'm fine with that since it is in the plans along with my vac reduction, no big deal there and he made it work for now.

Next, the coupler on the pipe that went from the TB to the MAF popped off less than a minute away from the shop. Brian drove over and made sure it and the rest of the couplers were tight and not going to pop off again for me.

Lastly, the car started over heating on my way home. Thankfully I knew to turn my heat on to cool it down. When I got home, I popped the hood and noticed that the radiator fan was unplugged. I plugged it back in and we're good to go again.

I'm over all happy with the experience, you can't complain much about a free install if there were a few hiccups. The kit looks pretty good and is probably the absolute best bang for your buck if you want an FMIC kit, but just as a warning to you, you'll need to do a little bit of fabrication to make it fit.

I'd like to thank Stas and Brian for their help and high level of customer service that they displayed to me. I've seen other people report on their bad experiences with them and IPS here, so I think an over all good experience is something good to share. I won't hesitate to buy from them again personally.

Here are a couple pictures of the kit installed. I paid $550 for the kit, so far I'm happy with it.

Attachments

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
It's not the same experience when you live 500+ miles away from them and can't do jack squat when they don't reply or respond to any if your methods of contacting them.
Its fortunate that you live nearby them and actually had them install it for you.
But their lack and oversights of a few things makes me weary of their service.
I live in California and I did not have a pleasant experience with them at all. I'm stuck with a downpipe that not only did not fit, I'm $240 down the drain.
No thank you. I personally wouldn't recommended them if you cannot drive to their business place in case something unpleasant happened with your purchase...

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Also, I talked to Brian about those down pipes because I have one on my car too. You need to loosen the bolts on the precats at the Turbo when you install it. They fit, they're just a pain in the ass to get on.
Loosening it up won't help if the rear fits perfectly but the front flange is off by a few degree.

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
Fit the front first, loosen bolts in rear precat, built down pipes to it then tighten the rear precat bolts. Speaking from my experience with mine.
At this point I'd rather go with 3sx instead because downpipes are supposed to be plug and play.
I'm not going to remove rear precat bolts. We all know that's a bitch. Lol.

17,252 Posts
There is enough play in the pre-cat bolt holes that best downpipe fit, ANY downpipe, is going to be if you fit it with the pre-cat to turbo bolts loose.

If you get a downpipe with a flex between the banks and/or swivel flanges, then of course that will fit easier.

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Well thats the first time I have seen a post with a positive outcome for those people/business.

BUT there is no excuse for that much carelessness working on a car. I hope you dont find more things that were forgotten.

-SP

·
Always needing parts...
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone makes mistakes, we're too unforgiving these days I think.

I did stumble upon a couple more annoyances that were easy fixes thankfully.. The splash guards on the front bumper were not screwed back into the bumper. I just had to screw them in, the screws were all still there thankfully...

The other is going to either cost me a buck or so or I'll need to look around the garage for a bolt. Missing one of the bolts that goes in to one of the radiator brackets..

Stupid little problems, I probably didn't help them much because I was calling them making sure it would be ready by Sunday. Rushing people probably doesn't help matters.

Free install is free, screw ups are to be expected, I'm just glad the car is running and getting me around still. The kit looks awesome and is performing as expected, so its hard to complain too much. I'd be cussing up a storm had I needed to be the one to install this with the amount of fabrication it took them to make it fit right lol. I think this was designed based on a 2G car because they had to do some modifications to make it work right with my 1G front bumper and other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts