Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i thought the idle problem was fixed.. it just kinda went away.. But i went to Gillman Mitsu and they said they found out the problem.

My ECM is bad and its going to cost 1,100 for a brand new one. Then 250 for installation. I also have to pay for a new injector and get that replaced.

I have had my car for 2 weeks and then it broke. This fucking sucks and i dont have anymoney to fix it since it all went to buying this damn car...

I havent drivin my car in about a month.. and it looks like its going to be even longer than that.. i guess i just wasted 6500 on a car that doesnt work for shit.

At least it looks good while it just sits there though... :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
u can get ur ECM rebuilt for 300 bucks or so
and you can remove and install it yourself.

Same for the injector.

Dont feel bad i just blew 11500 on my vr-4 and have now found coolant and oil leaks.

·
2006 Daytona Charger
721 Posts
Do a search and find the company that fixes our ecm's.
Not to sound like a dick. But most of us have been here. And it sucks, and it hurts. but the rewards of having a fiji blue vr4 is well worth the hassle. I hate to say it but suck it up and work it out.. I know its a bitch. Im about 4g's in debt above the loan on hte car, plus I need more..
Hang in there. It will be well worth it later.

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks to all of you.. especially ohiosypderman. Just saved about 700 dollars.. :D

I now can have all of this done and probably hve hte car running by Tuesday the latest!

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also.. after installatoin of hte ECM how hard is it to reconfigure the computer to learn the car? I would really like to do this myeslf and save a ton of money .. but he guy at the dealership sayed they have to have hte computer relearn the entire car again which makes it hard.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
15,551 Posts
Preston....

Evil_Stealth said:
Also.. after installatoin of hte ECM how hard is it to reconfigure the computer to learn the car? I would really like to do this myeslf and save a ton of money .. but he guy at the dealership sayed they have to have hte computer relearn the entire car again which makes it hard.
The ECU relearns on it own.
It takes about 15 cycles (turn key on, run for > 5 minutes , turn key off) for it to get its head straight. The same thing happens when you disconnect the battery for more than a short while.

Two screws and 4 connector (after you remove the carpet panels on each side) will get it out.

The $415 they quoted was with a $100 core charge, so as soon as you return your old ECU, you'll get that $100 back.

Like I told you on AIM, if you need help, Im pretty sure theres a couple of members in the Austin area that would be willing to give you a hand.

Bob.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
As far as I now it has to relearn it anyway everytime you diconnect the battery. It will run a little rough for 15 minutes or so. Once you drive it for 10-15 miles it's fine.

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn i love 3si

·
Registered
949 Posts
i payed 13250 for my vr-4 then 4 days later it spun a bearing, 3700 dollars later it was running, I figured i had close to 20000 into this car after tax, titles, labor ect....

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do yourself a favor and don't even consult the dealer anymore unless you're ordering stuff from the parts counter. They will try to [email protected]#k you any chance they get.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If your SW Austin I might could lend a hand.

·
former 3s owner :**
2,561 Posts
i had an issue like yours right after i had bought mine...........mitsu dealer said i needed a new IAC and new ECU which would total $1500....

$330 later a different shop replaced like 3 injector wires and it was all better. :) no more codes! (i was setting 3)

·
Unforeseen dichotomy.
1,393 Posts
Go with www.avproecm.com fro your rebuild.

You mail your core off, with a money order for $185, they send a new one back right when they get it. I sent mine of Wednesday, got it back and running the next Monday, and they're in Florida (I'm in Kansas).

I strongly reccommend them.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
if it runs, take it to Gillman for a second opinion.
If they say ECU, pull it and see if the caps look bad.

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks, i ordered one and it should be here monday..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts