Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so here we go...

I bought a pair o used turbos from Brian B on the board. They were 15G turbos, originally from TEC. I sent them off to turbochargers.com ie texas rebuild to get them rebuilt.

They charged me 875 to rebuild them, a bit high but they had to replace a turbine wheel in one of the turbos. They also said I had 13gs and not 15gs.. they swore up and down that they were 13gs and that customers usually dont know what they have untill they get them and tell them the truth about what they have.

Ok, turbos are on the newly rebuilt engine. After the break in, I hit the dyno. Car doesnt build boost quickly and has trouble hitting 1 bar of boost with the avcr pegged at close to 100% duty. So I do the usual and check for boost leaks, compression test.. etc. Nothing is wrong. Im also loosing oil under boost. Everything points to the turbos

So I call up turbochargers. of course typical story, ie did I check for this or that .. etc.. I told them that no, its the turbos that are at fault.

Eventually I get a new set o turbos on my car and send back the 15gs. I call back to find out whats going on with the turbos.. They said that they died from low oil pressure. Ie the shafts were blue, meaning they shafts heated up a bit because there was no oil. They started to question me about my car, ie is your oil pump old.. etc. My engine was newly rebuilt and the problem was found 1500 miles after the rebuild. Then they said, well did you change your oil? I said yeah I changed my oil. Well the turbos could have died then from your oil change, you must have starved them for oil when you changed it. Of course this is where I start getting really skeptical. I can see if damage was done by contamination, ie metal n such from the engine during the break in, but that wasnt the case. They also mentioned that they already polished the shafts.

They were obviously trying not to honor the warranty on their work. Stating that after EVERY oilchange you should prime the turbos. Now I can see maybe starting the car up for the first time with the new turbos, but each and EVERY time?

I told them that I have a new set of mitsu 13gs on my car and have had them on for 2 weeks, no probs with boost, oil loss.. etc. Still , they blamed my car/oilchange for the turbo failure.

I told them to just leave the turbos be and Ill call other shops to get their input on things.

After calling other turbo shops, general opinion was, if the engine is in good working condition and the oil pump is fine its very unlikely that a couple oilchanges are going to kill a turbo. I then thought to myself, there are TONS of people with turbo cars going to places like carx and gas stations getting their oil changed using fram filters.. etc.. basically taking worse care of their turbos and having no probs whatsoever. Even with my stock turbos, I never had problems with them dying on me after multiple oil changes. I also learned that the shafts were a a crucial piece of evidence in determining what went wrong with the turbos, ie was it an oiling problem, or were the turbos built "too tight" My understanding is that if the tolerances are too tight, oil will have a hard time flowing into the lubricated shaft area.
Its too bad they were already polished...

After doing the research, called the turbo shop back. Same story, our warranty is this this and this. Basically their warranty covers their mistakes ONLY if you can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. If you have a problem, its automatically your fault. I understand they have to run a business and all and cover themselves... but in my case Ive got no other option than to take the loss and get them rebuilt somewhere else.

Has anyone else had a bad experience with these guys?

Also, good luck to those buying their turbos. Youll have have a hard time getting them to do warranty work on your turbos, esp if you install them yourselves or "change your oil" during the 1 year warranty period.

·
No longer a 3/S owner.
3,402 Posts
complete bullshit

that's complete bullshit and I think its another reason to stick with the major tuners in this board, the gt-pros, dynamics, AAMs, and things like that. I've heard of some people having troubles with TEC....this is just another story of the same bullshit

·
Senior Fanatic
6,011 Posts
Oil changes kill turbos? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! Total bullshit. Oil changes *save* turbos by keeping the oil properties fresh and the oil free of debris. The oil drains out of the turbo center section when the engine is turned off in the exact same manner as when the oil is changed. Is this shop full of idiots or scam artists?

As far as 13G vs. 15G just measure the compressor wheel inducer and exducer diameters. See my web page below for details.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm#c

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Wow, good thread. I'm sure you've just saved some 3S member from turbochargers.com and sent them back to DR, AAM, or GT Pro. Now go post this on other boards and save thier members. ;)

I know you're far away so it's hard to follow up, but at least you'll hurt them elsewhere and then maybe they'll own up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had had a similiar problem when I got my 13c turbos. I put the first set in and with 100 miles I noticed smoke rolling out my exhuast so I tracked it down to the front turbo. I removed it and had it sent back to rebuild. After the rebuild I put it back in the car and after 100 miles again I noticed my boost would not build properly it took 4500rpms to hit 15psi. I decided to remove the intake pipe and feel the compressor wheels and sure enough they moved about 1/4" on both the front and back turbos. So I took both turbos out of the car and sent them back to rebuild. This time as I was taking them out I checked each oil return line for oil pressure and both were very good oil gushing out like a hose. After they were both rebuild I switched to royal purple oil and presoaked the turbos for 24 hours now they been in the car for 1500 miles and no shaft play.

After seeing so many failures from all turbo shops and suppliers I don't think anyone has mastered the aftermarket turbo build and quality process yet. The shops that stand behind there work are the ones we should buy from. My turbo rebuilder did honor his warranty and rebuilt all the turbos for nothing. I will boycott turbochargers.com and I would hope we all do. I would call them and tell them you are a member and if they don't rebuild them and quit giving you all this bullshit we will boycott them and pass the word to other car forums such as the elcipse forum.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Thank God I didn't send my turbos to them.They were like our prices can't be beat and blah,blah.Then I questioned about the time of return and the guy lied to me.Previously it was.."We should have your turbo's for 3-4 days."1 week later it was almost 2 weeks.I had it done locally and am happy.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
well Al, you just got the "normal" turbo builder reply. I think that reply comes printed on there equipment or something. If I have sed it once I have sed it 1000 times.... you get what you pay for... Stick with a place that will back up there parts. That’s why my turbo Warranty is backed up by ME!

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Sorry to hear.

I have heard of turbocharger.com doing crap like that

I know DR wouldn't pull crap like that..

I personally know TEC covers most problems unless they can tell it was a new install and not primed.

My TEC 17Gs are still awesome..I think I am up to 5K

Have them call a Mitsu Dealer and ask what the Oil Change steps are for our cars....Betcha Priming the turbos is not in thier shop manual...What crap....:rolleyes:

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SnakeSkinner said:
well Al, you just got the "normal" turbo builder reply. I think that reply comes printed on there equipment or something. If I have sed it once I have sed it 1000 times.... you get what you pay for... Stick with a place that will back up there parts. That’s why my turbo Warranty is backed up by ME!
I paid for, at least thought I did, a company with 20+ years in the business to rebuild my turbos. Thing is how was I supposed to know they werent going to back up their work? They have their disclaimer aka warranty on their website, have a long history with turbos, have sold tons o turbos/done tons of rebuilds.. etc etc..
I also did searches on the other major boards looking for opinions on them. Turbochargers.com was actually so so. They werent the cheapest out there, its not like I looked for the bottom of the barrel turbo shop to rebuild my turbos. At the time I thought I was getting a reputible company to rebuild my turbos.

While it is admirable that you do stand by your products, this statement doesnt apply to my situation at all. I started off with a set of used turbos at a good price. All that had to be done was to get them rebuilt. How does buying a product from you help me in this situation? I dont think the option of me giving you my used 15gs then having you hand them to your turbo shop then having you honor the warranty of my rebuilt turbos was an option to me at the time.

Believe me if you did rebuild turbos and stood by them as you have your other products I would have had you rebuild them, but again.. that wasnt an option at the time.

·
Dodge should sponsor me
2,014 Posts
how do you prime a turbo durring an oil change?

welp, i just swayed away from turbochargers.com for my rear turbo rebuild comming up this winter.

Matt, do you rebuild 9b's?

anyone know about majestic turbos in dallas?
http://www.dallasturbo.com/
he says he's done hundreds of these
$250 for a rebuild with new seals/bearings and balancing
1-3 day turnaround

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have to agree with GreyGoose, I dont think any shop out there has really go their act together with building hybrids or just rebuilding factory turbos. Unfortunately, it seems that the only real solution is to just buy new from the factory if old turbos should go bad. After seeing everyones experience with hybrids and rebuilds going bad and the countless dollars spent on labor.. I think Im going to just stick with my factory 13gs.

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rob said:
how do you prime a turbo durring an oil change?

welp, i just swayed away from turbochargers.com for my rear turbo rebuild comming up this winter.

Matt, do you rebuild 9b's?

anyone know about majestic turbos in dallas?
http://www.dallasturbo.com/
he says he's done hundreds of these
$250 for a rebuild with new seals/bearings and balancing
1-3 day turnaround
I unplug my crank angle sensor, then just crank it over a couple times.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
AL3k said:
How does buying a product from you help me in this situation?
I think you missed Matt's point. What Matt was saying is that if you had bought turbos from him and then had a problem that he'd take care of the repair work, so no headaches for you.

Another way to prime the turbos would be to just pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine.

·
Ninja Performance
42,336 Posts
Dan's VR-4 said:
I think you missed Matt's point. What Matt was saying is that if you had bought turbos from him and then had a problem that he'd take care of the repair work, so no headaches for you.

Another way to prime the turbos would be to just pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine.
he bought used turbos didn't he? So I think what he is saying is that Matt ussually does not have used turbos for sale so Matt was not an option.

Who primes thier turbos after an oil change? I never have...Although I guess it can't hurt anything

I think it's poll time

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1006635

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Dan's VR-4 said:
...if you had bought turbos from him...
I know he bought used ones. Matt's point is still the same though, if he'd bought turbos from Matt then Matt would take care of the repairs. That's not easily done, considering they were used though. But, like anything else, you get what you pay for.

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Dan's VR-4 said:

no he missed mine. I ALREADY bought a set of USED turbos. Look at the situation I was in, I bought a set of used turbos from a 3s owner. Now I have to get them rebuilt. This isnt some wierd or non typical situation. What was I supposed to do, tell the owner of the turbos to sell them to Matt M first so he can then sell them to me?

I know Matt stands behind his product, but this isnt the thread to be promoting other shops in light of my misfortune. I meant this thread to be helpful to other 3s owners in deciding who they might send their used 13gs or 15gs or 9bs... etc to. There are more "regular" td04 turbos out there than DR or GTPRO hybrids combined.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
AL3k said:
but this isnt the thread to be promoting other shops in light of my misfortune.
:confused: I'd think that you'd want to:
A. let people know what happened to you and,
B. show them a shop or two that wouldn't let that happen to them. After all the point of the thread was to help people out right? I'm guessing that if it had been www.wedoturborepairsrightsotrustus.com that responded you wouldn't have claimed that they were promoting themselves in light of your misfortune. But, when Matt does it's a problem because he's not a used turbo shop, BTW wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy new ones instead after the cost of the rebuild and the time spent? I dunno, seems like getting all the alternatives out there would be a good thing.

Anyway. He's just pointing out that he stands behinds his products. Sure, Matt may not be able to help you out in your situation but I still think it's good to hear that the tuners (DR, GT Pro, AAM) are standing behind their products.

Well, whatever, I've got stuff to do. Still a good thread though :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.