Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boost Junkie
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had enough of my stinky ass car. WTF is wrong with it, the exhaust smells very strong of gas. If im at a stop light with the windows down you can smell it. i dont know if all this is in relation to the smell, but i will throw it out there to maybe help someone diagnos this.
the car backfires often, especially if i let the car slow it self down from high rpms, it will back fire really loud then.

Also, over my driveside exhaust on my bumper is jet black soot.(car is stuck in sport mode :rolleyes: )

And i changed my plugs less then 2k miles ago and they were fine. No carbon deposits or oil on them.

I dont know what is causing this but its stinks and i dont like it. Oh, and the car is not smoking at all. Everything seems to be running ok, it just smells bad, like gas.
anyone got any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Exhaust leak.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Hey guys, look at the sig... gutted precats and test pipe.

Add that to the open-air BOV and you've got the recipe for a stinky car.

Mine is set up exactly the same way, and has exactly the same smell. It's totally normal with that set-up. Catalytic convertors usually burn the unburnt gas (and even a good-running engine has unburned gas) so without them, you get the gas smell.

ALthough you have the SAFC, do you have it set to adjust for open-air BOV??

And I think you can adjust idle richness with the AFC, maybe you can turn the fuel down a little??

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
well i think your a perfect candidate for the root beer scented exhaust fumes. Check out pokeys thread ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts