Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who didn't knew, they are compatible for our platform with a little help!

I decided to share my experience, so it may help some other people. (Bare with me that english is my second language).

As you know our stock MAF is pretty maxxed around 400WHP, which is not so hard to reach with a TD04 upgraded turbo and some boost. I didn't want to remove some honeycomb or go with a MAFT and I decided to go ahead and try a Evo 8 maf (3G eclipse maf). I bought one from a guy who went for a AEM EMS.

I received the Maf and saw that the outlet was circle instead of oval, and the connector was different too. So I had to buy a connector since we cannot order that single part new.

In order to do that, I used a hockey puck that I've cutted with a jigsaw to add some volume and give the same oval shape that fit into the snorkel of ours :

Added some epoxy :

So it fitted very well :

The connector is different but they share the same number of wires and the pinout is in the same exact order, I added the new connector on the wire, left the stock connector in case it went bad, so I have 2 connectors now :

For the tunning, some compensation are needed, one of my friend gave me this link and I was suprised to find that the DSM world allready knew about that viable option :

evo8mafsettings [ECMTuning - wiki]

Freq Adj
50hz 31%
150hz 29%
250hz 25%
400hz 24%
800hz 19%
1200hz 20%
1600hz 19%
2000hz 19%
2400hz 19%

I only have a S-AFC and S-ITC, so the compensation is done per RPM and not Hz, but I did it pretty simple with a friend of mine, 50hz is the idle, 150hz is about the cruise...

So if you have a -34% compensation on all the RPM (about what I had with 580cc). The 1000 rpm is now -3% (-34% + 31%), the 2000 rpm is now -5% (-34% + 29%) the WOT 4-8000 rpm is now around 15% (-34% + 19%).

I just put those numbers into my SAFC, I started the car and it was running like I never touched it! No knock, everything perfect at 10psi (16Ts), so we raise the boost up until 20psi and did only some light adjustement, still we had to remove some timming in the upper range. But the car was running so great, even smoother then before, very linear!

At 20psi we felt that the stock catback was pretty much restrictive and so I'm now waiting on IPS new exhaust to go on the dyno to fine tune that! :D

Evo 8 Maf are easy to find and not so expensive on Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution | Reviews, News, Parts, Owners - EvolutionM.net or other Evo forums, they usually go with AEM EMS and can sell their old MAF (with connector).

·
broke joke
1,018 Posts
This is awesome! It just doesn't look like it would flow more.. Not saying it doesn't. In my mind it looks like the stocker has more area for air flow

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not about the honeycomb area size, but about the reading capacity of the MAF, it can read about 20-30% more Hz.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For example, I made 16xxhz, but with a -15% correction on the SAFC, so the signal from the MAF was around 1900hz (1900 -15% = 1615Hz).

A stock untouched MAF is good for about 2000Hz... +/- 200Hz depending of the Maf.

I'm allready on the verge to max the stock MAF, 1900Hz on 2000Hz capacity. Just adding a catback, tune the car and raise the boost a little and then my MAF saturated!

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I try! :D

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
please elaborate on how our stock mas are maxed out at 400whp? There are plenty of tdo5 cars that have way more then 400whp and have stock mas. Heck like you said alot of tdo4 cars have it and it sure isnt the mas thats holding them back.

Coop

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, most of my info came from the DSM world. It may me higher, depending on the MAF, but it can differ from one to another.

Here are my other sources :

I asked to Steve from 3SX and he was talking that we can get close to 500WHP but it was pushing the limits and the effiency would be compromise :

http://www.3si.org/forum/5365486-post123.html

And I asked to MaTT too, because I bought the turbo from him and I'm running the same turbo as his DD (16Ts), and he told me :

''With a stock un gutted MAS my car would not even make more then 19psi of boost with the boost controller maxed out. Gutting/porting the MAS as the only changes I can spike as high at 27.''

So in my book, those 2 are reliable source, my DSM experience showed me about the same and 2 very good local tuner confirmed that too. So instead of gutting mine I decided to try a Evo 8 maf.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't think the issue is that the car is 'maxed' out at 400, but that better number will come harder as the corrections start getting larger, and the timing gets farther from optimum.

Just my unsupported 2 cents.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would love to see some back to back info to support your theorys. It shouldnt be hard as the mas is an easy thing to switch.

Coop
Indeed pretty easy to switch, but I would have to tune the car for that MAF to compare it.

I swaped the MAF simply because I wanna get the car ready to be tune on the dyno, since I've invested a lot of $$ to make an old car almost new, I inquired about what would have to be done before I go on the dyno, my mechanic (4G63 FWD 8.47 @ 169.02) told me my MAF could be maxed and my tuner too. This is why I asked to Steve and MaTT and they told me what I've linked a few post ahead.

With my water/meth I can run more then 20psi, and when MaTT told me he was unable to boost over 19psi with the stock, ok maybe my stock MAF could have taken it by chance, but why would risk to rent a dyno/tuner and pay twice if I can't boost and have to come back...

Now I'm waiting my new exhaust to go on the dyno. AFAIK, till today, no 16T's have gone on the dyno.

I always say do it right, do it once.

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts
Well, most of my info came from the DSM world. It may me higher, depending on the MAF, but it can differ from one to another.

Here are my other sources :

I asked to Steve from 3SX and he was talking that we can get close to 500WHP but it was pushing the limits and the effiency would be compromise :

http://www.3si.org/forum/5365486-post123.html

And I asked to MaTT too, because I bought the turbo from him and I'm running the same turbo as his DD (16Ts), and he told me :

''With a stock un gutted MAS my car would not even make more then 19psi of boost with the boost controller maxed out. Gutting/porting the MAS as the only changes I can spike as high at 27.''

So in my book, those 2 are reliable source, my DSM experience showed me about the same and 2 very good local tuner confirmed that too. So instead of gutting mine I decided to try a Evo 8 maf.
maTT never ran 16Ts
He ran DR650s and then EVOIIIs.

-Chris

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!