42,337 Posts
Re: My first dyno day

Lookin good!

-Chris

·
Registered
352 Posts

lol its all good. that is like a 20% powertrain loss though, what kind of dyno were you on?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Lookin good!

-Chris
Thanks man:)

Other wise I have Supra pump, SAFC 2 and still need to order 550 inj.

2 Dataloggers, on pad, but I hate them, because battery goes empty very soon, and everytime I change the battery I have to upload program. So I will buy scanmaster for sure.

The tuner here in my country said that SAFC 2 sucks, and are for hondas, and he advice me to buy (his) MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System.
Does anyone have experiance with it?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

megasquirt is a standalone and is pretty expensive. id rather go with aem if i had the money.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Would I really gain that much with megasquirt over safc? What I am worried about SAFC is that every time that weather change I will have to change some settings...

·
Registered
352 Posts

Something like SOFT ENGINE BRAKER. It is written on top of the window.
ahhhh i cant see the pix, (govt computer) i was just goin off ur numbers

·
'96 VR4
3,291 Posts

Would I really gain that much with megasquirt over safc? What I am worried about SAFC is that every time that weather change I will have to change some settings...
SAFC is pretty well proven with these cars. You don't have to change the settings with the weather, LOL! The SAFC is simply changing the airflow signal from the MAF to the ECU. The ECU thinks less air is flowing and shortens the injector pulse. With bigger injectors, you then get the right amount of fuel.

The drawback, of course, is that because the airflow signal is artificially low, the ECU concludes that engine load is low and advances the timing. However, in practice, an SAFC2 and 550cc injectors will work well together and more important will work reliably. Since the ECU is still doing the actual engine control, especially in closed loop part throttle operation which is 90% of daily driving, the car runs pretty much the same and you don't have idle or driveability problems.

Megasquirts have interested me for a few years, but if you were to try one you'd be one of few... very few, like close to zero... people to do it with a VR4. For whatever reason, they have not been used very much on our cars. That means that you'd have to develop all the tuning tables pretty much from scratch, which is expensive at best and usually expensive and frustrating. In short, don't do it. LOL. I'd find another tuner who had experience with SAFCs, best of course would be SAFCs on our cars. The have their limitations, but they don't suck and most important they are well proven and understood on cars just like yours.

I have a friend with a replica Cobra running with an AEM standalone. It has a 428FE with multiport fuel injection (throttle pedal is a bitch, EACH cylinder has it's own throttle body!) and he is always screwing with it. This, despite the fact that it came from the engine builder with the tables to run it using the AEM. Complete standalone ECUs are a lot of work, even with knowledge and good support. Unless you have time and like playing with computers and the ECU, I wouldn't go standalone. Especially with 550 injectors and pump gas. If you were changing fuel, or going for big power, maybe. But where you are, you'll be fine with the SAFC2.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thank you for explanation. I told him that SAFC works fine with our cars, and he was just smiling and looking me as if I came from another planet. Here in my country there are maybe 15 3s cars, and few of them are tuned. When I bought SAFC2 form a member here he got map for 13t so must be similar as 15g.

Problem is also that I dont thrust people that they are so good at their work as they say, so I will try to tune my car by my self. Of course with your help. Hehe. I trust you guys (3si forum), because you are really great people. Very very helpfull.

Best regards
Jack

·
3s-less
1,507 Posts

Do not get the mega squirt. SAFC2 is fine. I made more than 400 awhp with it and 16ts which are very similar to 15g turbos.

It is very simple to tune with and it keeps your stock ecu which as described gives you all of the stock goodies so you do not have to adjust your tune with the weather, fuel cut, knock based timing retard, etc.

550 cc injectors and 15gs are perfect. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Tuner said that OEM ECU stays in the car, so he just connect Ms (megasquirt) to ECU, and then make new map. Cost 1600$

·
'96 VR4
3,291 Posts

Tuner said that OEM ECU stays in the car, so he just connect Ms (megasquirt) to ECU, and then make new map. Cost 1600$
Hm. I thought that the MS was a stand-alone controller, not a piggyback. Megasquirt was originally developed as a cheap do-it-yourself controller for converting carburated engines to EFI. I did not think that they had a piggyback option - I still don't think they do, but I might be wrong.

I would have your tuner explain exactly how the MS connects to your ECU and car. And, go here to find out what MS is and then have him explain to you which model he's using and how he's using it.

* *MegaSquirt - Electronic Fuel Injection Computer by Bowling & Grippo * *

GL, keep us posted.

Paul T

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Ms doesnt have a way to control ignition, it is simply a fuel controller. as such the stock PCM needs to stay to control the ignition.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts

For 15G's, I'd stick with SAFC. Ok nobodies asked so I will. Why dyno on wastegate. You should have been able to run 17psi and get it dialed in.

·
cenatix
504 Posts

megasquirt is a standalone and is pretty expensive. id rather go with aem if i had the money.
Actually, MegaSquirt is cheap and if you're a DIY'er, that's the way to go. But if you're looking for plug & play and ease of install, MegaSquirt is probably not your best option.

I haven't used MS since the old MS-I days but after wiring it all in, it's very easy to use. The big issue I had with the old v2.2 boards (MS-I) were the ignition drivers burning up and occasionally having to solder in new FETs. I'm sure that's not an issue with the newer MS-III units.

It would be nice to see a MegaSquirt powered 3/S. I've been thinking about installing one for the longest time but the ARC2 makes tuning too damn convenient.

·
Ninja Performance
42,337 Posts

Thanks man:)

Other wise I have Supra pump, SAFC 2 and still need to order 550 inj.

2 Dataloggers, on pad, but I hate them, because battery goes empty very soon, and everytime I change the battery I have to upload program. So I will buy scanmaster for sure.

The tuner here in my country said that SAFC 2 sucks, and are for hondas, and he advice me to buy (his) MegaSquirt-III Engine Management System.
Does anyone have experiance with it?
Your tuner is WRONG. They work very well.

-Chris

1 - 20 of 98 Posts