Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, guys! My first VR4 is arriving in 1 month. Will be a project car, wanted it since I was a kid. Its 1992 model. I will take it apart and rebuild it. Will send TC to Rvenge for inspection and rebuild and I will rebuild the engine and tranny by myself. My question is-should I get forged internals or stick with cast OEM? Aiming at 400HP at the wheels. I am prepared to invest as much as needed

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
56 Posts
The 1G VR-4's should be able to handle 400HP (crank). If I recall, all pistons are cast, all rods are forged, and the crank is cast (1G exclusive.)

To answer your question, if anything, I would recommend getting at least the 2G forged crankshaft and that will be safer to hit your 400AWHP goal with supporting mods.

Also, congratulations. Welcome to the family.

Reactions: cnc6axis

·
LS3S
2,303 Posts
You'll be plenty fine with stock bottom end for 400awhp. That being said, if you're already rebuilding it, definitely upgrade to future proof anything (aka catch the horsepower bug)

·
Verified Seller
1,771 Posts
The need to more hp will never end. Most people will continue to want more. Build for the future to save money. Your 1st gen(cast) will be fine for that power levels. It's only until you want more horsepower will you need to upgrade to 4 bolt forged block. I would build it as if you were looking to be at the 600+awhp range. When realisticly you will be at 400awhp. If you get bored of the 400awhp and want more, since you already built a 2nd gen forge block, all you need to do is slap some bigger turbos on it and get it re-tuned. Get bigger injectors then you need, you can always tune it with bigger injectors. Then all you have to do is upgrade turbos at the point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am still not sure what I am getting lol. The car was manufactured 07.16.1992 and sold new in 1993. Been reading that late July 92 production cars were 2nd gen already?

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR
56 Posts
I am still not sure what I am getting lol. The car was manufactured 07.16.1992 and sold new in 1993. Been reading that late July 92 production cars were 2nd gen already?
If it has flip up lights, it is not a 2nd generation. A 1993 is like the best of both of a 1G (aesthetics) and 2G (internals) since it came with the 25 spline OS, 4 bolt mains, and 5 speeds trans.

All 2G's came with fixed headlights, 25 spline OS, 4 bolt main, and Getrag 6 speed standard transmission (and other various little things, but that is the biggest difference internally.)

Reactions: ThatOneVr4

·
SDSU Alumnus
4,197 Posts
Welcome!

Assuming that nothing was changed under the previous owner(s), there are obvious tells between a '92 and '93 first generation VR-4 if you are unsure. Optical CAS on rear head as opposed to separate CPS+CAS found on 4-bolt engines. This can also be determined by the lower timing cover which will either have one or two bolts adjacent to the harmonic balancer (narrow or wide oil pump groove to pan). Lastly, '91 to '92 models had tall and long ass throws as opposed to the factory short(er) shifter in '93; this is subjective, but the difference is night and day.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

1 - 7 of 7 Posts