Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tired of using the stock windshield washer tank for my water/methanol injection kit, the stock tank is small and get empty pretty fast, plus the fitting where the pump is feeding was always leaking. I did not like the idea of having one huge tank into the trunk, so I decided to have my own custom tank.

It take place of the stock tank and battery. It has a low-level sensor, a new windshields washer pump inline, and now contains 2.75 gallons instead of the 0.6 gallons the stock was. It has a bigger cap too, so easier to pour/less spill.

I've made it out of aluminum, got it anodized black (methanol can dig into bare alu).

Here some pics before :

I will have finally a nice spot for a catch can! :)

Anodized :

1st (up) : WW's source, 2nd : level sensor, 3rd (lower) water/meth source :

Compare to stock :

Sorry for the ugly engine bay, anti-rust grease make an engine bay without rust, but keep it dirty all the time and really worth to be cleaned.

Eric

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
I love your air filter, going for the crushed look I c. LOL Let us know how she works, maybe it's something u can sell...:suspect:

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL yeah the hood close right on the big filter!

So far it's really cool! 3 days of boosting and I still have a lot to go! Normally I would need to fill the tank more then once a week, more then that, it wasn't enough for a fun ride, I had to stop to refill the tank, now I can last maybe a month! :D

I will go to the NG with a full tank and no bottle of meth loose in the car!

It's definitely doable if some people want a tank, my welder told me he would get them computer drawn and precision cut/bend, it would be much nicer then my prototype that I've cut myself with garage tools. I could get everything pre-installed on it, even a bracket for the WW pump, the level sensor, all the fittings, the cap, anodized and an optional bracket for a catch-can.

Eric

·
SDSU Alumnus
2,996 Posts
That looks pretty sweet for a prototype Eric. How much did the entire assembly weigh while empty? LMK how the re-production of those goes too, so I can inform my buddy that I mentioned had interest in it.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Alan!

I did not weight the tank, but it is very light, there was a few DSMers at the shop and they thought it was heavy until the lifted it!

Eric

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
looks badass man! but dude, your engine bay....lol. thats def a sleeper if i ever seen one lol. i would most def be interested in one if you had some made.
-Jordan

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you check the pictures of the tank, the top is way larger then the bottom of the tank.

The source of the pump is as much near the rear as possible and is very very low, so in acceleration all the 'juice' will be going toward the sucker! Even taking a hard turn while boosting would need a very low level of liquid in the tank to suck some air.

Plus the level sensor is way higher, when the low level light will be 'on' there will be the equivalent of liquid the stock WW tank hold, so it's barely impossible to suck some air, I would need to be running with the light open for some time/on purpose.

The light will be open when about 2 1/4 gallons will be gone (so 1/2 gallon left). If I see the light begin to flash when moving the car, I'll know it's time to add 2 gallons!

It would have been possible to add a baffle, but not mandatory. If I was to produce a batch of them, I would add a baffle for the peace of mind, but it's not a necessity IMO. IIRC all the systems I saw/had never had a baffle and often they were larger in the base then this one is.

Eric

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
What kind of meth kit are you using? Any idea how much it would run?

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
Good Job.

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What kind of meth kit are you using? Any idea how much it would run?
I run VP M1 methanol. I change my mix for 75% meth/25% water. I use 2 nozzles, a 625ml and a 375ml, it start at 11psi and get full at 19psi. I was running 28psi and fall down to 25 (I need stronger springs), but sometime, not always, I see a little knock in 3rd gear pull, so I lowered it to 26psi and the boost fall down now to 24psi. I do want to run DR stage III heads, stronger springs and find a way to get less heat under the hood (so less possibility of knock).

For the price, I dunno, it's not cheap, this one cost me a lot, bought some wrong fittings and all, I think I paid around 800$ here and there for it. Of course it's a prototype, if I was to produce a batch, the others would be cheaper. But still the material + anodizing is about 225$ right there (cap, pump, fittings, level sensor, aluminum, tubing...). And the more expensive part was the welding it took 6.5 hrs of it with the customs brackets and all. Not counting my time.

I wonder if it would be in the way of a strut bar? You might have to lower it if you start selling them.
Yes I would lower it a bit, actually one of the hood's traversal reinforcement is touching one of the corner a bit.

Good Job.
Thanks, appreciated!

Eric

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Im going with the 1 gal aem kit.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Im going to bolt it up to the firewall, I have the stm small battery and deleted the tray and wash tank and did a vac reduction, so I have alot of room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts