Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that Spyder's replacement peices (the rear deck lid and roof) can peel, especially on the black ones. Welp, it's started on mine. Right now is a real fuzzy/hazy area at the back of the roof right at the joint. Also, right on the joint, at the edge, the clear coat is starting to flake.
Anybody have any experience with something like this? Can it be repaired or will the whole roof need to be repainted? Thanks!

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder (peeling :( )
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Fo Shizzle
2,410 Posts
Im afraid that the whole car has just plummeted in value and youll prob only see 1-2k for it now.. dont worry, from one 3si member to another Ill give you 2.5k for it

:)

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
I have experience in this. Where it is flaking use clear fingernail polish to seal the clear coat. If you don't do this then it will get much much worse. Especially once the weather changes alot.
My spoiler has a small tear and I didn't do this, now half the spoiler has no clear coat.
But hopefully getting fixed this weekend.

-Jeff

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
In other words don't let this happen

-Jeff

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where it is flaking use clear fingernail polish to seal the clear coat.
Excellent, thanks for the tip I'll do that right now...the flakes are small enough that you prolly won't even be able to see it

Im afraid that the whole car has just plummeted in value and youll prob only see 1-2k for it now.. dont worry, from one 3si member to another Ill give you 2.5k for it
Al, you're so nice :D Remind me to thank you with a punch in the nose ;) hehe

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Registered
856 Posts
I had to have my spoiler repainted as well. It looked exactly like that pic when I bought the car. At least they don't have to worry so much about matching the paint when its a spoiler.

.jon

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Just for reference that is my spoiler :( and the flake wasn't there when i got the car but then it got a little worse, looking like the clear coat was getting sorta thin, sorta un-attaching from the paint. Then it was about the size of a quarter and I still didn't do anything stupid me.
They said use either clear fingernail polish *OR* superglue a very light coat, make sure it remains smooth.

Good Luck,
-Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts