Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY EVERYONE I WENT TO THE TRACK YESTERDAY AND AFTER MY SECOND RUN.. EVERYTHING SEEMED COOL BUT THEN ON THE WAY HOME I NOTICE MAD SMOKE COMMING OUT MY EXHAUST..... LIKE WHEN I PRESS THE GAS NO SMOKE. BUT ONCE I LET GO OF THE GAS.. MAD SMOKE COMES OUT MY EXHAUST. .. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT COULD BE WRONG ?? THE ENGINE SOUNDS FINE NICE AND QUIET NOT TICKING OR NETHING.... COULD IT B A BAD TURBO?? I GOT BRAD NEW GT PRO 368SX TURBOS... AND... THE CAR STILL PULLS NICE.. THE SAME NOTHING FEELS DIF.. COULD IT B A OIL LINE LIKE A OIL LEAK ??? CUZ WHEN I POPED THE HOOD THERE WAS OIL ON MY VALVE COVER.. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE.. THANKS...

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEAH BUT

YEAH BUT THERE IS NO TICKIG.. I DONT FEEL LOSS OF POWER OR ANYTHING... EVERYTHING SEEMS NORMAL EXCEPT THE SMOKE COULD IT BE A SEAL CUZ I HAD OIL ON MY VALVE COVER.... WHEN I CHECKED UNDER MY HOOD.... OR GASKET MAYBE????? IF I BLOWN A TURBO WOULD I FELT LOSSS OF POWER ????AND IF I BLEW A PISTON WOULD I FELT LOSSS OF POWER ???? I DID NOTICE A LIL TINY BIT OF OIL ON MY BLOW OFF VALVE.. LIKE JUST A LIL BARELY NOTICABLE.. ????? ANY SUGGESTIONS???

·
UK 98 3000GT TT
550 Posts
Well I was driving her pretty hard the day it happened. “Racing a new BMW”

I didn’t even know there was a problem till I stopped and saw all this blue smoke behind me.

The car was running fine and was pulling hard just smoking when I stopped.

I too have no knocking or ticking sounds at all. That’s way I thought is was a turbo seal that had gone, so I put a new turbo in her but then I notes that she was not running to well, “missing slightly when I rev her” but she sounded fine when she was idle

I even took the car out for a quick test, and she boosted up to 14psi and was flying.
But the smoke was still there. And now I know that my rings need replacing on one of my pistons.

You need to do a compression test before you go looking at your turbos. That’s what I should of done, but I thought is was the turbo for sure.

And what color is the smoke?

And no need to shout man, “turn caps off” ;)

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i had caps cuz at work i have to keep caps on for the program i use.. but its like a white smoke.. like when u burning oil... so how do i do a compression test
????? but could it be that may not b that... could i be lucky enough that its just seals or gaskets ??? or oil line leak?? all i did was run it at the track wasnt for a long time ... ? so how do i do a compression test? and what are the results im suppose to get???? in order to b ok??

·
Registered
117 Posts
about the blue-withe smoke

it seams that this thing with the smoke apen to a lot of peploe latly,anyway my car have the same problem as vr4stealthrt,LIKE when i pres the gas nothing (exept if i keep the revs at +4000rpm ) but when i let go too mutch smoke.
Note that latly iinstaul,
new 13G's
ARC2 with MAFF upgrade 87mm
RC 550cc injectors
SARD fuel pressure regulator
DR fuel pump, stage 1 310lph @ 43psi
After calling Matt at dynamic racing, for help, he told me to check the turbos or the back oil lines.
I do not know the result yet but tommorow i will check for the fault and if i find anything i let you know.
Yiannis, Cyprus.
P.S. i will do also a compression test .:(

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK THANKS MAN PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHATS UP AND MY FRIEND WHO IS A MECHANIC AND OWNS 6 VR'4S HE IS CHECKING OUT MY CAR TONIGHT TOO I WILL POST SOME MESSAGES ON HERE TONIGHT TO KEEP U POSTED TOO T HANKS.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If your rings are blown, you'll puff smoke at Idle, and literally lay a smokescreen behind you. Your rear view mirror will be a puffy cloud. Check your PCV valve. That could be the problem. Also, look in the Y-pipe for stand still oil, that could show a bad turbo (or both). Also, if it's white smoke, you may have toasted your headgasket. Coolant burns white, oil is a bluish grey. Racing eats gaskets like it's getting paid to do so. If your mechanic tells you it's the head gaskets, contact HKS, or a gasket company. I'm pretture sure HKS makes metal head gaskets for our cars.

P.S. If you have available money, you might as well port your heads while they're off, if it is a head gasket I mean.

·
Registered
641 Posts
does cubic yards of smoke exit your tail pipes at a light or at idle? mine did this and it was the turbos. open a intercooler pipe that is at the lowest point. if theres alot of oil in there its your turbos, or just one.

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO NO SMOKE AT IDLE.. REALLY.. JUST SMOKES WHEN LIKE SAY I PRESS THE GAS I DONT SEE NO SMOKE.. BUT WHEN I LET GO A BIG CLOUD OF SMOKE BEHINDE ME.. WHILE IM DRIVING... AND YEAH I DO FEEL LOSS OF POWER.. AND TODAY INT HE MORNING MY CAR STALLED AND DID NOT WANNA START BACK UP.. THEN I GAVE IT GAS WHILE I TRIED TO START IT... AND IT TURNED ON... IM DOING COMPRESSION TEST SAT.. .. TO MAKE MY CAR SMOKE AFTER I LET GO OF THE GAS.. WHILE DRIVING... AND FEEL LOSS OF POWER... CAN IT BE A BAD SPARK PLUG OR FUEL INJECTOR??? IT CAN ALSO BE THE RINGS... CAN IT B A CYLINDER...

·
Registered
641 Posts
sounds like you may need a rebuild. your symptoms are NOT turbos, and as your said you have aftermarket turbos, which will last. look for oil coming out your bov, and oil coming out your oil cap. if you have these symptoms its likely an increased crank case pressure due to several things, but mainly a bad piston. your cure, get new forged pistons. and while the engine is apart, extrude and hone the heads and other manifolds and do other things that will gain hp and last longer.

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
YEAH THERE WAS A LIL BIT OF OIL IN MY BOV AND MY OIL CAP.. LIKE ON TOP OF THE VALVE COVER.. YEAH I WILL DO A COMPRESSION TEST ON SAT (TOMMORROW) AND SEE IF ITS THAT... IF IT IS.. THEN I WILL JUST REBUILT WHAT BROOK CUZ I HAD THIS ENGINE LAST YET COMPLETE REBUILT AND I HAVE 17K MILES ON THIS NEW ENGINE.. THATS WHY IM SUPRIZE IF IT IS THE PISTONS OR WHATEVER IT IS CUZ ITS A NEW MOTOR.. EVERYTHING NEW EXCEPT THE BLOCK... I WILL FIND OUT TOM..

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
alright man lets set some things straight... if its comin OUT of the exhaust its not your valve cover gaskets.. it is most likely not going to be a gasket anywhere on the engine causing this. turbo im not sure of. but if there is no knocking or rattling of any sort it could be a blown piston ring, so look at it this way. either it is a) a blown piston ring or something of the like that is basically an engine rebuild (expensive) or b) a turbo seal went bye bye and a new turbo is needed... (expensive). what year is the vehicle and is it a stick?
sean

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This whole thread was a little vague to me, but from what I've figured out, it doesn't smoke at idle, nor at WOT, only when the gas is released after (hard?) acceleration. If the rings are toasted, usually you leave enough smoke behind you (especially when accelerating) to make it damn near impossible to see out of your rear view mirror. The best way to Identify if it's your turbos or not, is to look at the Y-pipe. If there's oil in the Y-pipe, your turbos are toast, and that could be the problem.
Another good way of finding out if your rings are shot or not, is to keep an eye on your oil pressure gauge. If it has dropped a bit from what it used to be, you could have a ring problem. Rings are pretty hard to fry (unless you run lean often, or use nitrous) though. If pressure has increased, that could indicate a bad piston. That's just my two cents. :)

Note: all 3/S Twin Turbo's are manuals. :D

Oh, I forgot to mention.... If it's comming from your oil cap, go replace the cap, they're like $3 from walmart. And it wouldn't cause smoke to come from your exhaust.

·
your mom
303 Posts
Reference:
White smoke: Actually steam... coolant or condensation burning
Black smoke: Gas... rich condition
Blue smoke: Oil... the worst one

(smell it, make sure you know what you're burning before you too anymore diagnostic)

·
Registered
93 Posts
yes what colour is your smoke

if it smokes blue when you button off to me it sounds if you have done damage to your bore /piston/rings,over heating !! maybe at any time when you were racing ??

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
tenshi thx for the note i didnt realise that they were all manuals i thought they had the option to come with an "economy optioned automatic" or somethin like that... thx again : )
sean

·
vr4stealthrt
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
white smoke

well it is white smoke and when im driving and i press the gas i see nothing behinde me but then when i let go of the gas... boom big clouds of smoke...... and i did a compression test and yup my compression is only 90psi on one of my cylinders and all the other are fine... but there is no TICKING whats so ever r weird engine noises... so u think it is a piston ring? or maybe a piston?? will i need to machine my engine...? cuz it does not seem like i messed it up alot.. maybe just a piston or something.. what do u guys think.. i mean if i melted or broke a valve or bent a one or broke a piston or whatever wouldint i hear some sort of ticking> cuz my friend with a talon just blow his motor too cuz he missed 4th gear and put it into second and redlined went to 10rpms and boom. .but his engine makes mad ticking noises..

!marco

·
Booooossstt
6,788 Posts
your piston rings being bad wont cause a ticking noise they normally just fall down through the engine and end up in your oil pan and then you just leak all kindsa oil through that cylinder... theres gonna be all kindsa shit on any stock engine bein reved up to 10k on most engines once you reach 7k for the rpm's things start fallin apart... so hopefully the parts are built for it since thats the redline on the stealth...
sean

·
your mom
303 Posts
Recommended coolant system pressure test. Check for blown head gasket or cracked block. White smoke=burning water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts