Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
just some guy.
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today, this thing:

did this:

This was done with 42 psi and a 75 shot (resulting in an extra 100 wheel hp). The nitrous was only sprayed to 5500 rpm.

This was done on the 3.0 :) (not stroked).

to do this, I had the following things:

wiseco pistons slick coated and top gold coated from swain tech
Trend performance H13 wrist pins
3sx Rods
Custom Age 625+ rod bolts
Clevite H main bearings (main bearings coated by calico coatings. Stock clearance)
Clevite H Rod bearings (top bearing half coated by calico coatings. slightly smaller than stock clearance due to top half coating)
60%/40% mix of Redline 0W40 and Racing 50Wt oil respectively
Dynamic Racing Stage 3 heads
Pampena / Merkel Head Lift Fix
Dynamic Racing / Web Cam Race cams (222s) with front had cams flipped
Adjustable cam gears (used to degree the cams to spec card)
custom intake manifold with Q45 throttle body
RC 1200CC injectors
Emanage Ultimate (I would not recommend. just get an AEM)
Greddy SuS headers (for 3 bolt TD05 style Turbos) (ceramic coated, wrapped, and blanketed)
Twin water cooled Forced Performance 3076 HTZ / FP54 (TD06L2 9 blade) turbos with 6cm^2 turbine housings (ceramic coated inside and out and blanketed)
Twin 40mm wastegates with 18 lb springs (external dump)
2.5" intercooler piping joining to single 3" intercooler piping
Apex-I GT-R intercooler (hybrid core) with 3"inlet/outlet
Koyo Race Radiator (2")
500CC water / methanol injection with SX adjustable recirculating regulator set at 100 PSI with Shurflo pump pulling from a European nose water tank
modified Stillen downpipe expanding to 4" after the union
Single 4" exhaust
Wizard of Nos pulsoid (solenoid) with Nitrous Express 10 lb bottle,bottle warmer, and blanket controlled by a solid state relay driven through a sub injector driver with a .042 nitrous pill
triple Aeromotive Stealth fuel pumps
HKS DLI
NGK 4554 heat range 8 non resistor non protruded tip spark plugs
Ferrea oversized valves
MSD spark plug wires
Greddy Profec B2 boost controller
Teflon intake spacer
Twin Purolator Boss PBL3001 oil filters (maybe overkill)
Accusump oil accumulator with valve opening at 6K RPM
IPS Oil Pan
solid disc custom 6 puck ceramic disk clutch
Competition clutch 3700lb pressure plate (they swore they wouldn't make any more of these....apparently it was expensive to make)
3sx clutch hose
Spoon Sports 150 degree Thermostat (for NSX / S2K)
HKS Oil Thermostat (for Evo)
Greddy 13 row Oil cooler (probably not needed, but I had one)
HKS SQV4 Blow off valve and HKS Racing Type 2 BOV
Shimmed oil pump relief valve

As I think about it, these are all the things necessary for my car to do what it did, but I am happy to be part of the 1000 HP club finally :)

End result is 1010 HP at 7800 RPM, 705 lb ft of torque at 7300 rpm

Other fun facts,

with the boost controller turned off, and Nitrous working only up to 5500 rpm, car made 16.5 lbs of boost. 616 wheel hp at 7000 rpm, 476 lb ft of torque at 4900 rpm (but it really held that number flat out to 6700 rpm)

at 31 lbs of boost (amount I run with 100 octane), the car made around 770 wheel hp at 7700 rpm and 565 lb ft at 6900 rpm

Runs today were done using VP 110 (i highly recommend it :)

The car has other things too, but I don't think they directly contributed to the HP / torque numbers. my oil pressure seemed to be rocking pretty solid between 5.5 bar to 6.5 bar on all runs. No major oil pressure issues.

I will take it to the track tomorrow after work and try my luck again :). My AAA membership is up to date.

oh, and as far as I can tell so far, by crankshaft is still spinning around in my engine just fine :). The car actually has the original block in it which makes me smile :)

·
Registered
17,522 Posts
Congrats Armond!!! I hope you have time to ease into it at the track, that thing sounds like it could be a handful LOL

·
just some guy.
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the turbos have a bit more left in them. My biggest challenge was running through the single coil pack today. IF I had dual coil packs again or a little more coil dwell, I am sure the car would have been fine to pull a bit more boost and / or nitrous at max pressure. an AEM will fix that. I am still fairly ticked off that the emanagee ultimate all of a sudden decided to not work with dual coil packs a few months ago (had been working for a couple of years with no issues), but it is glitchy (I remember Blackstealth telling me that before......now I am seeing it first hand). one of the other things that annoys me about it is that it doesn't hold sync if you try to use it for sequential fire ignition (I dropped that ideal a couple of years back because the e-manage would randomly forget which cylinder was #1). It also tends to put the ignition timing log 120 degrees out of phase (for example, it will record 35 degrees advance as -85 degrees), and the transition between standard map and RPM limiter map is NOT always smooth (there is a split second where the injectors obviously miss a beat. the wideband picks it up and you can feel it in the car, but the e-manage doesn't seem to work it out). also, NONE of the fuel adjustment maps work when it goes into rev limit fuel map, so if you get it wrong, it's on you.....it doesn't automatically learn like it does on the rest of the maps. nobody mentioned that in the instructions. ALSO, the rev limiter map is OFF BY 5.1 PSI! (so when the car is at 40 PSI, the rev limiter map is pulling from a cell that represents 34.9 psi....that little glitch earlier in the year cost me a warped head, a repair for the repair, and then I had to deal with what was left afterwards (turbos needed rebuilding, block needed overhauling, etc). The Emanage ultimate is a neat tool, but at the end of the day, it has problems that nobody can explain nor wants to, and it is obsolete (I have to use a virtual machine with Windows XP just to run the software which is a nuisance). After the car makes it down the track, I am going to start tooling the car up for FIC 2150 injectors and all the bells and whistles necessary to get a AEM series 2 working to my liking. (and I am going to put my second coil pack back on ;)).

·
just some guy.
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

engine bay shot for what it is worth. I am not sure how to make it look any less confusing....but on teh bright side, I am not sure how to make it more confusing either :) everything there does have a function and a reason, and it all seems to work (even the A/C :) ) This shot was from earlier when I had the 3sx radiator instead of the Koyo and I had the dual coil packs working. The koyo radiator allows for the stock upper mounts to be used. Obviously on the single coil pack, the towers for cylinders 2,4, and 6 have wires looping to the back head now. With dual coil packs, I was able to ground one terminal and run the plug off the other, letting the plug fire in the correct direction (like coil sticks do), but with the oomph of all of that stock coil (Plus you don't have to worry about the spark jumping 2 air gaps).

·
just some guy.
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is awesome man! So that is a 72 block, correct? Congrats on all the hard work (and money, lol) paying off!
I started pricing out the individual pieces that it would take to re-create this (thinking "now that I know how to make this work, it shouldn't be that bad for anyone else, right?"). It's frighting how much money and time this would take to recreate even if everything went right the first time :(. I counted up about $22K in just material (not counting the price of a perfectly running vr-4 to start with :( ). I guess building this thing isn't simple, but seeing it all work does make you feel really good inside :). yeah, this is the 4 bolt 72 block. stock crank.

On the plus side, I still don't think it would cost all that much to make a really fun vr-4 that doesn't break the bank (lots of people have done it). stuff starts getting pricey when you throw heads, custom turbos and custom manifolds in the mix.

·
just some guy.
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
hmm. how does everyone else get their pictures to work. I know photobucket is a bust. I am using google photos, but that seems to be a bust too. Where do I put the pics so they show up?

Edit-- I think I got it figured out. using a different image source now. the pictures should show.

·
Resident Street Racer
5,604 Posts
you can use IMGUR as another option. But they work fine for me.

EDIT: IF people can't see the photobucket pics, I have a thread that allows you to download an extension for chrome so that pics work like normal.

·
The dark shall be with us
7,300 Posts
Nice. A clever way to bolt on your manifold without having the bolts going through the tank. How much higher is the tank from the valve cover? Did you have to modify the hood in any way to clear the manifold?

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Nice! Looks like that intake mani is doing its job, power builds and just keeps climbing. Hope to see you at the shootout again.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts