Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a very slight knock coming fro my lifters a while ago but i put some oil treatment in and pretty much stopped it. This weekend I went went to the USAC world finnals in KC but i road with a friend. i haven't drove my car since thursday. I made the stupid mistake of telling my brother if he REALLY needed it he could take my car out. Now it sounds kinda like the lifters but is about 100000 times louder. and it doesn't sound like its coming from the valve cover or not the front one at least. My brother says he put some oil in it after noticing it was "knocking louder" he never said it was that loud. it stops after idling for a while. i figured on checking the rods, lifters and oil pump. any thing else to take into consideration?

Help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
austin

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also...any one know how much HE -dear old BRO- will be spending on new rods?
if that is the case

·
Oh no, not again.
341 Posts
How many miles are on the car? My guess is it's still the lifters, especially if it goes away after idling for awhile or after reaching a certain rpm. Next time you change the oil, put thinker oil in and it should help diminish the noise.

·
davey magic!!
6,887 Posts
get under the car and listen or just put your hand against the oil pan see if anything is knocking, when i blew the engine in my sl it sounded like someone was hitting the oil pan with a sledgehammer, yeah that loud. also drain out the oil and check for any discoloration and particles.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking around and heard that thing. Its not that bad but is similar sound when i rev it to about 3000 rpm. Theres about 103,000 on it. it sounds like it is under the intake manifold...or the rear valve cover. I'll try to get a recording of it and post it.
asap

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Sorry ked, sounds like a strong likelihood of a spun bearing. A bearing knock cannot be confused with lifter tick except in its very early stages. When it sounds like someone is beating on the underside of the valve cover with a ball peen hammer, there is a good chance it is bearings. Welcome to the 5k engine mod.

bearing knock may quiet down depending on RPM and balance of motor, but will always return. If at idle it is making a bang bang bang noise instead of the tic tic tic noise, it is time to have it towed to the shop. My car started and ran fine except it felt like there was a loss of power, like one cylinder wasn't firing. As soon as I heard the bang noise, I knew it was a bearing. Have been through this before with several older cars.

Lord Warlock

·
Official Gathering Ghost
1,848 Posts
I know what a spun road bearing sounds like and will never forget :( I have had a personal experience with one

·
Registered
60 Posts
why are you blaming your brother for a problem thats not directly his fault, and you saw coming?

~Paul

·
Electrical Whiz
1,767 Posts
your problem is most likely a broken bearing, i had a loud knocking from my engine when i revved it and when i took it to the dealer they told me it was a broken bearing on the connecting rod. unplug indivudal sparkplugs one at a time while having someone rev your engine, if the knocking stops when u remove a certain spark plug then its a problem in that cylinder. don't drive your car at all, have it fixed right away or you might need a new engine soon.

·
I like turtles
3,862 Posts
mine knocked very very loud on cold starts for 1000 miles then it stopped. I guess it was lifters and it went away when i switched to royal purple. Oh I get a rattling noise if i rev my engine. The noise only happens when the rpm's are dropping....what could that be?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would say check the oil and look for particals. If you have them then you need to do some work on the lower end. GL

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Hmmm, I've been debating about whether or not I have a bearing problem. THe last few days when I've started the engine (not every time) I'll get this lout tapping for a few seconds....then it goes away.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Hey guys if you have a bearing problem it doesnt mean the end of the world. 3sx sells a crank kit that isn't that expensive.

Also if you have a 2 bolt motor you can find a jspec for under 1200.

The best way to diagnose it would be to go buy a stethiscope from sears.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont really blame him. It just started when he drove it so i like to be sarcastic. Me and him joke about it all the time. I'l look into the bearing....thanks guys

...dont stop sending suggestions, i still want as many as possible.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine did the same thing one night after running the car hard. I just added some oil and it went away in a few minutes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got a better one for ya. Got my car two nights before christmas. On christmas, my brother wants to test it out. Were going around 85mph down a highway, and he wants do shift in 4th. But, he misses 4th, hits second, and dumps the cluth. Fried the cluth to shit. Had to get it towed. Ass hole

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done that when i had my 88 prelude. it was even about the same speed accept i ripped my alternator belt in half. I dont know how but i made it to the football game that i was headed to and back...about a 30 min drive off just my battery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.