Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2127 Posts

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I got a mini-mountain of parts today:) One of the boxes was a friend's timing belt that I will be doing soon. The others were my vacuum hose, SS oil feed lines, and SS hose to make my own return lines. I also dropped off my front valve cover and a spark plug cover from Drweldin that I scratched to get powder coated. The valve cover will be gloss black and I will polish the letters. The spark plug cover will be flat black. So excited to finally getting her all sexified! :D

I also took a look at my power steering pump today. I had the wrong sized compressor clamp thingy on the small hose and it was leaking. I put a new adjustable clamp on and tightened it. I'll check tomorrow or so to see if that hose is still leaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Nice build. I'll bet you were nervous that first time you fired it up.

I did my first engine rebuild last winter on my boat with some help from my dad and brother. I remember being so anxious when we started it up for the first time. I had spent so many hours on it and was so worried something wasn't put together right. She ended up firing right up when we got it back in the boat and was damn near perfectly timed too. 305 small blocks are so easy to work on; that was a perfect platform for me to learn all about engines on.

Foolishly I was trying to save money and cut corners by not replacing the exhaust manifolds, I ended up overheating the engine this summer and bent a valve. Come to find out the manifolds were damn near plugged with rusted metal which is what caused the engine to overheat. Luckily it was only half a days work to pull the head and get it back in (and install new exhaust manifolds). It could have been a lot worse but it ended up only costing me a new gasket set and the cost to have the one head redone. Of course the manifolds weren't cheap but I should have replaced those from the beginning.

Oh well, I learned my lesson and learned a lot about engines. After rebuilding the engine on my boat I feel more confident about pulling the engine on my VR4 and doing any major work that would need to be done. It's no 305 chevy by any means but I'm sure I would be able to figure things out.

·
Verified Seller
4,431 Posts
So, did you get your SS lines put on? Is the painted plenum installed yet? Have you done the timing belt and tensioner on your friends Hyundai?

Glad to hear your electrical oil gauge was the culprit, or was it the oil leak from the PS. Anyways, you can sleep better.

Did the new BOV help with your boost?

Did you get the 13g installed or is the manifold now a priority?

Please update and post some more photos.

P.S. Better get a move on, school will start again before you know it!!!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I worked on my friend's Hyundai on Saturday and was able to finish it in about 12 hours, which was ENTIRELY too long in my opinion. I can do a timing belt and water pump on my car in about 2.5 hours or so. I had everything taken apart in about an hour and a half and then it was just problem after problem, but I got it. It is an easy car to work on compared to a TT. It was kind of funny though, because she has no clue about anything about cars (not that it's a problem or anything). When I took off the water pump, the water that came out of the block missed my drain pan and all of it went on the garage floor. I took a picture of it and sent it to her jokingly saying "Your car had to pee reeeaaalllyy bad. You should let it go more often." She said, "I had no clue I was supposed to do that." I was like *facepalm*. When I finished the job, I was letting it warm up to make sure the water pump didn't leak and it was taking FOREVER to warm up. It was about 15 minutes before the temp gauge even moved. I called her and I said, "Does your temperature gauge work?" She said, "Temperature gauge? What's that?" And I was like *facepalm*. I said, "It's the gauge right below your fuel gauge." She said, "Are you sure? I've never noticed it." *facepalm*. AGAIN. When she picked it up, I showed her what the temp gauge was. She said, "Oh! That's what that thingy was! I always wondered. I guess the 'H' means 'Hot' and the 'C' means 'Cold', huh?" **faaaccceeeppaaalllmmm**

Anyway, I have more or less been collecting all of the parts needed to do the turbo swap so I can do it all in a day or two as this car is my DD. I will probably do it this weekend. The hose going to my PS pump is still leaking. I guess I'm not tightening the clamp enough.

The copper crush washers came in the other day, along with my second set of aftermarket pre turbo pipes. The pictures I got before I bought the first set were pretty unclear. What I received was pretty much a pile of aluminum dog poop. Dents and scratches galore. I should have returned them but I thought I could fix them up. I lost interest, sold them, and bought another set. They had some scratches, but I was much happier with them. I have been working on polishing them and have finished one. It's nice and mirror shiny:)
Before polishing:
2012-12-22_17-32-11_543.jpg
After:
2012-12-24_14-12-09_43.jpg
My phone wouldn't focus on the reflection so it is kind of blurry but I can assure you it is just like a mirror.

I have the 13g in the garage. I will be putting the plenum on when I put the 13g on. I made the return lines:
2012-12-19_12-09-03_683.jpg
I was looking at the SS feed lines I bought and one of them I can blow through with no problems at all and the other one seems to have a blockage of some sort because hardly any air will come out. They are unused so I think that the ends of the SS hose that go into the fitting didn't go on correctly and is blocking the flow. I will have to take them apart and inspect them before I can put them on.

I didn't put a new BOV on, but I did put a new boost controller on. And yes, A WORLD of difference. No spiking at all! :D A recommended product, especially for the money.

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pics of the OBDI-Bluetooth adapter and installed with velcro. Lol.:
2012-12-20_20-37-16_82.jpg
2012-12-20_22-24-46_489.jpg
I was very impressed with this. I was more or less expecting a breadboard but it is a very professional product.

^^^ lol, caffinated^^^
rule # 7 any project will expand to fill the time allowed for it.

get-r-done
Incredibly true. Lol. I am trying to hurry. I want to at least get the transmission resealed, 13g on with SS lines, and fix my knock problem. I think I can work on a lot of the other stuff on the HUGE to-do list during school.

·
Verified Seller
4,431 Posts
Pics of the OBDI-Bluetooth adapter and installed with velcro. Lol.:
View attachment 93841
View attachment 93842
I was very impressed with this. I was more or less expecting a breadboard but it is a very professional product.

Incredibly true. Lol. I am trying to hurry. I want to at least get the transmission resealed, 13g on with SS lines, and fix my knock problem. I think I can work on a lot of the other stuff on the HUGE to-do list during school.
Who knows, that MAF plug replacement could make a world of difference too!!!

GP and I will be keeping you honest so "Go BACK to Work!!!!"

P.S. As long as their are people in this world that consider a vehicle as just a way to get from point A to point B, there will always be a surplus of mechanics.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Wow man. You are rockin and rollin on that car. I wish I was off this weekend, you work on yours so often I'd love to come help just for experience. I want to help someone do a pull and full rebuild. I love working on cars but didn't grow up around anyone at all that did. So I have to get brave and try and fix something broke or tear something apart that I can afford to replace if I screw up. But really, nothing is more fun to me than working on cars, just learned it kinda late in life. Keep up the work and keep posting when you are doing stuff. If I'm off I'll come help and at least keep you company. And you can have to "noob" do the dirty stuff, LOL! Great work man!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, the few people that I trust to work on my car are always so busy so it's a long wait to get in and a long wait to get back. I have done several things on mine but I's so afraid of breaking it. Doesn't help that every time I do work on something at least one bolt breaks, hhhhhhh. My car is from NYC so it has a fair amount of surface rust under and in the engine bay. But I hadn't heard of PB Blaster until I did my front O2 sensor. Also bought a heat gun and a butane torch for one of my next projects, gut pre cats and get a DP. One of the guys on here is in Conroe and is going to rebuild a VR4 he got that is knocking. I can't wait to help on that one.

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Talk about breaking bolts. On the stealth that I bought (the green one in the video), just about every single bolt was rusted to hell. It took a couple of days to pull the engine because I had to let it soak in PB blaster, try to loosen all the bolts, respray, try again, etc. My arms hurt so damn bad after that. And every time I take off a precat, I break at least one bolt. I am dreading replacing the rear turbo because I know I will break bolts. Ugh. 20 year old cars:(

At least they're sexy:D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I plan on doing a week long soak on it (3 times a day, spray cold, let sit 4 hours, start and get to temp, spray again, let cool, start all over). Gonna buy a case of PB and the torch it all and try the bolts with an impact. I have been told an low speed impact is way less likely to break bolts. Gonna start that if we can ever get the driveway party together where we all show me how to drop my pan and beat out the dent. I'm hoping Jo Jo and Mark have some time in January. Until then no shifting higher than 3600 RPM's.

·
Amature-Crastinator
1,803 Posts
exhaust housings and such breaking bolts??
get yourself a handheld torch with the MAPP gas, heat the housing not the bolt head and it should really help. where there is a nut you can see heat that instead.

Hey, why are you texting instead of wrenching?

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
exhaust housings and such breaking bolts??
get yourself a handheld torch with the MAPP gas, heat the housing not the bolt head and it should really help. where there is a nut you can see heat that instead.

Hey, why are you texting instead of wrenching?
Lol. Is that the kind of torch that has the replaceable propane tank? I've thought about it... How much are they and where can I get one?

And I'm sanding the other pre turbo pipe in preparation for polishing, thank you very much:p

Attachments

·
Verified Seller
4,431 Posts
Wow man. You are rockin and rollin on that car. I wish I was off this weekend, you work on yours so often I'd love to come help just for experience. I want to help someone do a pull and full rebuild. I love working on cars but didn't grow up around anyone at all that did. So I have to get brave and try and fix something broke or tear something apart that I can afford to replace if I screw up. But really, nothing is more fun to me than working on cars, just learned it kinda late in life. Keep up the work and keep posting when you are doing stuff. If I'm off I'll come help and at least keep you company. And you can have to "noob" do the dirty stuff, LOL! Great work man!
Be careful what you ask for. I will need some help next weekend putting mine back in.

Where were you when I was pulling mine?

·
Verified Seller
4,431 Posts
I plan on doing a week long soak on it (3 times a day, spray cold, let sit 4 hours, start and get to temp, spray again, let cool, start all over). Gonna buy a case of PB and the torch it all and try the bolts with an impact. I have been told an low speed impact is way less likely to break bolts. Gonna start that if we can ever get the driveway party together where we all show me how to drop my pan and beat out the dent. I'm hoping Jo Jo and Mark have some time in January. Until then no shifting higher than 3600 RPM's.
I rarely use air tools to break things loose. I use a good breaker bar, then whip out the air tools on them.

That reminds me, I need to call JoJo and see where he is on his engine build. He should have all the parts back from the machine shop. Here is a photo of him and Mark while we checked tolerances.

Attachments

·
Amature-Crastinator
1,803 Posts
got mine at wally world, around $22 for torch and propane tank kit, propane only bout $8 MAPP gas was $12 or so.

and you avoided the question, lol.

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
got mine at wally world, around $22 for torch and propane tank kit, propane only bout $8 MAPP gas was $12 or so.

and you avoided the question, lol.
Lol. How did I avoid the question??

I'll have to make a trip to Wal-Mart before the weekend to get the torch then... Wal-Mart right after Christmas. Sounds like SO much fun.

21 - 40 of 2127 Posts