Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2127 Posts

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This was my first engine rebuild. As of now, I am about 1750 miles into the rebuild the car is running strong.

The rebuild is more or less BPU. My mods are a K&N intake, DN precat deletes, ESP downpipe, test pipe, 3SX lightweight aluminum crank pulley, Blitz BOV, and a boost controller set to 13psi.

I'd like to say thanks to the people here that answered my many questions throughout the build. Your help was GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks great! Good job bro! I love these cars. I'm 22 started my project of restoring a VR4 3 years ago. I'm hoping to have mine on the road in a week. Hope you get a long life out of your build. Congrats!

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck! The rebuild only took about a month from the time I pulled the engine until I started it. I was so anxious the whole time. I can't imagine going through that for 3 years.

Hopefully I can keep the car through college. A few years after I graduate I want to do a complete frame off restoration and get the car looking better than it did coming off the showroom floor.

·
Might as well burn money
676 Posts
I'm confused. What did your rebuild consist of?

·
Might as well burn money
676 Posts
Stock internals? Cast crank? Forged crank? 2 bolt v. 4 bolt?

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 2 bolt block with a forged crank, stock rods, cast pistons 50 over. I think that makes me 3.1L? I would have liked to have gone more elaborate with the build, but the pistons and crank were free (to me anyway) and I needed to get the car on the road asap. Otherwise I would have gone completely forged and 4 bolt.

It might not be an amazing build to some who are completely forged and are pushing huge amounts of power but this was my first build and in my eyes it is incredible. The feeling of being able to drive around something that I created puts a smile on my face every time I get in the car.

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Oh ok cuz cuz the stock ones are cast I havnt seen any aftermarket ones in cast..all the ones I've seen are forged

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She actually sounds reaaaally meaty with no cats and aftermarket downpipe. When I went to get an alignment a week or so ago a guy said he swore it sounded like there was at least a V8 in it. One time when I went out to eat I parked and a guy asked me if I had a V12 in it. He might have been drunk though. Lol. :D

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,121 Posts
Nice work and good looking cars!

·
Verified Seller
4,431 Posts
Congratulations on your first engine build. The sense of satisfaction of doing the work yourself is priceless.

Hope to see you at the Texas gathering!!!

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I have decided to go a little further in this thread and post my progress of the entire car, including fixing the little bugs, cleaning the car up, modifying it, and so on.

I will finish with finals next Wednesday and be out of college for winter break. Until then, there is nothing I can really get done due to being busy with studying for my tests.

The extensive list of things I plan to do this winter:
* First things first, I need to verify my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. My oil pressure has dropped slightly and the difference happened shortly after I installed my electronic gauge. I am hoping that the drop is just the difference in the gauges.
* Find out why I am getting part throttle knock. I think I might have a lead on the source. Read more about it here: http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/interesting-knock-input-wanted-logs-available-542738/
* Find out why my turn signals work but my hazards don't.
* Install polished 3sx pre-turbo pipes. I have ordered them from a member on here and should be here by the time I am through with finals.
* Install freshly powder coated plenum.
* Install polished 3sx aluminum Y-pipe.
* Polish/rebuild my throttle body. I am debating sending it to April because she does such a fantastic job.
* Polish lower intake.
* Polish water housing.
* Get spark plug cover powder coated. It is powder coated now, but it got scratched and looks ugly. :(
* Get front valve cover powder coated. It is old, dirty, peeling, and ugly. Debating on getting the rear one done as well.
* Install 3sx fuel loop. I have a custom fuel loop on there now made from stainless steel line but it makes taking off the rear timing belt cover a huge pain.
* Install new Ninja Performance MBC. I have ordered this and it should be here shortly. Mine spikes like crazy and I hate it.
* Install front and rear solid mounts. Still debating on this or not. I already have a lot of road noise and I think this would make it louder.
* Reseal transmission and clean it up a little. It has a couple of leaks. There are a few things I want to do while I'm doing this:
* Install upgraded clutch and pressure plate. I believe I am riding on the edge of its capabilities. Plus, I plan to run 13gs in the future and will need the upgrade.
* Install new rear main seal. The current seal is new, but I'm in there so I'll do it anyway.
* Replace driver side axle. One of the boots is ripped and throwing grease everywhere. Axle has to come out with the trans so this the perfect opportunity.
* Swap the rear 9b for a spare 13g I have. My 9b has quite a bit of shaft play so I'll replace it before it blows. That's one step closer to twin 13gs:)
* New oil feed and return lines. Mine leak in some places. Thinking about going with stainless steel lines. I have everything to make stainless steel return lines. I'll have to buy the ones for the front.
* Install new rear timing belt cover. My fuel loop made some nasty marks in it.
* Install red vacuum hose. Everything was red at one time. Lol. But I've had to cut them multiple times and eventually they became too short. I had to use some spare yellow hose.
* Clean up engine bay. The firewall and other regions are dirty and it bugs me. Lol.
* Get a dash mat. When replacing my center gauges, I discovered that my dash has been heat baked so much that you can push your thumb in places and it cracks:( I may just get a new dash, depending on the price.
* Make a bracket for the sides of the A/C controller. I broke the stock brackets when taking out the dash. Another excuse to get a new dash. Lol.
* Replace shifter console with a spare I have. I broke the tabs that hold the garnishes that go over the screws where the shifter console connects to the dash a while back.

I'd say that is enough to keep me busy for a while. Lol. I'm sure there is more stuff I will add along the way.

A few pictures of the engine bay as it sits now. With school, I haven't had much time to clean it up. I took the red plenum in my rebuild video off to get powder coated and put a spare I had on. One of the bolts that holds the throttle cable broke in the plenum and I didn't want that to be the one I got powder coated. I feel embarrassed to show these:(

2012-12-06_12-22-26_875.jpg

2012-12-06_12-21-54_900.jpg

2012-12-06_12-22-07_712.jpg

·
Verified Seller
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:

I hooked up my mechanical oil pressure gauge and all is well:) The reading on my electronic gauge is off by a few psi.

I found out one of my oil cooler lines decided to blow a massive leak yesterday.
2012-12-14_11-04-58_494.jpg

Luckily I have 2 extra sets:D I put them on and figured out in the process that my power steering pump is leaking. I also have 2 of those. Lol. I will probably be replacing that tomorrow. I think my oil pressure reading was off because the power steering pump was leaking right on the sensor and where the wires connect to. I won't hook it back up until I replace the power steering pump.

I installed the Ninja Performance boost controller yesterday. THIS YELLOW VACUUM HOSE NEEDS TO GO.
2012-12-14_12-31-53_932.jpg

I ordered SS braided hose for the oil return lines and the red vacuum hose the other day and should be in soon. I also ordered new copper crush washers today from Ninja Performance. Hopefully they will come in before this weekend because I was wanting to swap the rear turbo for the 13g, install the SS oil lines, maybe install the plenum and other goodies over the weekend. I can't find the set of DSM 450s I had. I think my dad decided to take them and sell them. Lol.

On a side note: One of my friends has an '07 Hyundai Elantra and needs her timing belt and water pump replaced as well as the accessory belts. The dealer quoted her over $900 to do it :eek: I told her I would do it for $200 plus the parts, which will be about $325 or so total. That'll be a nice little sum of money to spend on the car:) Or maybe I should buy Christmas presents. Hmmm...

1 - 20 of 2127 Posts