Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been a member here since 2010ish and own a 1991 Dodge Stealth R/T DOHC N/A. Crazy that it has been 7 years. The Stealth has been in the family since 1991 and passed down from my brother’s dad, to my brother and to me in 2010. It was a garaged kept Texas car and then a garaged kept Virginia car. It’s now down in SC and still garaged kept.

The car is currently getting its second engine rebuild. The first was due to the timing belt giving out. The current one is due to a head gasket leak. I replaced the valve stem seals a few years ago, but going for the full rebuild now. I wanted to freshen it up and gain the experience of a full engine build. I have rebuilt heads before, but never built the block. So…I dove in!

The goal with this car is to do a light restomod. I use that term loosely because it’s old enough for a restoration, but the tech was way ahead of its time, so not much needs to be done for the “mod” part. Here is the current build list:

Done:
• Paint respray
• 18x8.5 LM wheels
• Nitto tires
• ECU rebuild
• 2G Stealth Rear Bumper
• TT quad tip exhaust.
• SAFC with a Boomslang harness
• 120k maintenance
In progress:
• BlackStealth LCDBC
• TT conversion with rebuild turbos

The car in 2010:

The car before the 2nd rebuild started:

Rear bumper/exhaust swap:

Motor in the car:

Motor pulled:

Motor broken down: (Gross) Old bearings were clean though...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back from the machine shop:

Bay should clean up nicely:

TT oil pan fits a 1991 DOHC NA Block and NA pump:

LCDBC installed:

Crank installed:

New studs on the turbos:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the wrong piston rings :/

I need to order a new set. I ordered 91mm, but need 92mm. The original rebuild included boring 040 over. Didn't know until the pistons came back a little cleaner.

·
Turbo Dreaming
268 Posts
Nice stealth you have there. Subscribed! Would love to see the tt conversion pictures. Are you purchasing a getrag transmission?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sticking with the NA 1g 5 speed until it blows up. It doesn't grind at all and seems strong. We will see how long it holds up! I don't get on the car too much.

Just my pistons in Edelbrock box. Nothing fancy. It's how I brought home my crank. :)

92mm rings ordered and fixed compressor. Going to try and get the pistons in and heads on this weekend. I have a ton of cleaning to do in the bay still.

·
Turbo Dreaming
268 Posts
Sticking with the NA 1g 5 speed until it blows up. It doesn't grind at all and seems strong. We will see how long it holds up! I don't get on the car too much.

Just my pistons in Edelbrock box. Nothing fancy. It's how I brought home my crank. :)

92mm rings ordered and fixed compressor. Going to try and get the pistons in and heads on this weekend. I have a ton of cleaning to do in the bay still.
I read on the forums that the NA transmission can hold up if the car is not pushed or raced. If you actually don't get on the car too much I think it will probably last you a very long time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my duck from 3SX! ...and a new ring compressor. It seems like no matter where I sit, the duck is always looking at me.

I have everything to keep going on the build now that I know the bore is 040 over. Nothing like a little surprise like the gift of extra cc! haha.

should get some work done this weekend. I'm hoping to have the pistons in and heads on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran into some snags!

I got the first piston in...kind of a test run. The bearings measured within spec and I believe that is good to go!

Now the bad...

So, I was taking out the valves to replace the stem seals and one of my valves is slightly mushroomed up top. I will be ordering a new exhaust valve now. Lame! Don't know if you can see it in the pic, but I can feel it with my finger.

Also, in the pic below, one of the cam bearing caps broke and only at 8lb! It must have been on it's way out or overtightened prior and stretched.

What do y'all think can be done? Should I try and get it myself with a screw extractor kit or take it to a machine shop? At only 8lb, I feel like it might be pretty easy to get out, but we are talking about a pretty vital bolt here.

·
Money pit owner.
2,599 Posts
subbing for updates!

I cannot help with the broken camshaft cap bolt. I blew compressed air in my camshaft bolt threads in case there was oil at the bottom, cannot compress oil, I wonder if that is what happened to you. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Turbo Beast. I called around today, but couldn't find one open on a Saturday, so at least one head is delayed until next week.

Gaedzinner: I think mine was just a stretched bolt. The rest went in great right at spec. The gods of speed and burnt rubber just didn't shine on me at the moment.

Measured the clearance on my connecting rod bearing and got .036mm, so within spec! All the mains came back within .025-.034.

The fixed piston ring compressor made the job pretty easy. I watched a friend use one of those AEM adjustable compressors on a 350 before and it looked like a pain to get it just right. This thing made it super easy. Yeah...it's only one size and I will probably never use it again, but ~$35 to make my life easier is worth it! Definitely recommend.

When I called around and finally found the plastiguage in stock at NAPA. When I walked in, the guy said I was the first one to ask for it in at least a year. RARE! Then, when he asked what I was building, his response was, "Dang, double rare!". Haha. We had a pretty good discussion about how people just don’t build motors anymore. I could tell he was an old gear head.

Progress...

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So...with the heads on hold (I need a new exhaust valve and broken bolt), I turned my block into a short block:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey all,

I dropped the head with the broken bolt in the cam cap spot off at the machine shop. Hoping for a quick fix, but we will see! I'm bolting the other head on today to get as much on as I can, which leads me to a question...

How much does everyone bolt on the motor prior to dropping in? I pull the motor and transmission together and plan on dropping them in together. How about the turbos and such? I just want to make sure there is enough clearance before I go too far.

I'm hoping I can bolt on the turbos, coolant and oil lines before dropping it in next week?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still waiting on the broken bolt removal.

I pulled the pistons from the block today and checked the rings. I could not for the life of me remember if I double checked cylinders 1-3 ring orientation of the compression ring. When installing Hastings rings, the compression ring has a dot on it that needs to face up. Instead of just rolling with it, I double checked and one was upside down! I fixed it and now just waiting on the other head.

This is a good read for anyone rebuilding a motor and installing new rings:

https://www.hastingsmfg.com/ServiceTips/compression_ring_installation.htm

I definitely advise making a list of things to check to keep everything on track. This would have been a very disappointing mistake!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the chance to install the front head and one snail this weekend. I'm using MLS head gaskets and new head bolts. My new bolts didn't come with new washers, so I reused the old ones. I'm still waiting on the machine sop to pull the broken bolt out. At this rate, I should have gone back to the original machine shop. They had a good turn around time (1 week on the whole motor), and the new shop, which was closer to me, has taken over two weeks to "work me in" and remove the bolt. Lame.

Pic of the motor with the front turbo mounted. I can't remember who I bought the bolt kit off of for the turbos, but I'm glad I picked them up.

Always soak and let the air out of the lifters :)

Hopefully I will get the other head back this week. Let me know if anyone wants some pics of any part of the process. A little late on the block assembly part though. :)

·
Money pit owner.
2,599 Posts
nice job! I wish I had room in my shop to pull the motor, definitely the way to go for turbo and head work. Did you tear the turbos down and put new parts inside?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts