Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am at a stand still i dont know what kind of muffler to get. I was told you have to go as big as you can in our cars. So i am thinking maby apexi n1's turbo muffler or flow master. or is there a better one? i have a 91 stealth r/t non turbo soon to be supercharged to around 700 hp i need good exaust. thanx for yor help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
To around 700 HP????????

That's some serious HP.... how are you getting there?

Even on a turbo that would take a hell of a lot of boost. Rebuilt engine? Fuel system? Just curious.

The Apexi N1 was my choice for my Turbo. I've heard no complaints about them.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
on my '91 R/T the Flowmaster sounds like a bad assed V8/exotic...

a LOT better than the N1s in my opinoin...if your supercharging, thatn I dont think the exhaust is going to make as much of a difference as turbo charging...

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Heh heh...

I've actually heard of TWIN SUPERCHARGERS! That's a terrifying thought. :eek: 700 does seem a little lofty on the N/A's though. The NOVI 200 is good to something like 30psi. That'll get you to about 600. Maybe he's usning NOS? :confused:

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Even so...

Um, how exactly are you going to get that to the weheels? I don't think I want to go over 450HP. :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Yeah...700? I want to know too man..this could be interesting if it isnt enough already.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I am looking at some N1 style mufflers! They are not the real N1's, but they look and are made the same! Plus these are like half the price! Does anyone have N1 style mufflers on their car and what do they sound like? I found some that are like $100 each! Can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm just trying to picture how to launch the damn thing.
How do you launch a car that has twice the power of
a TT to just the front wheels? Now that alone will make
or break your track times. good luck!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Bios24 said:
I'm just trying to picture how to launch the damn thing.
How do you launch a car that has twice the power of
a TT to just the front wheels? Now that alone will make
or break your track times. good luck!
i don't know if i'm right but i think LSD and some slicks might do the trick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
LSD sure played a role in designing this 700hp car, so why not use it to help launch!

:p

Just kidding........ Is this going to be soley a track car?

P.S., I don't need differentials explained to me by the rest of the 3SI audience.... its just a joke! :p :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well what i am doing is instead of using an intercooler like turbos which will pull power down from my supercharger, i will be using a water to alcohol thing i dont remember what is called and then i will be doing a engine rebuild on the top end with forged heads exc. now the water to alcohol works like nos and i will be runnig nos at the same time as well. the super charger i am planning on getting will give pretty nice boost dont remember how much at the time but i will get back to on this. Um oh yah an all wheel drive will launch a bit quicker than me but we hit like twenty and he/she will be admiring my rear spoiler and my exhaust.

AND LET ME QUOTE MYSELF "AROUND 700 HP"

·
I'm HISPANIC dammit!
1,783 Posts
Meant to post here...

I'm actually looking into doing something very similar on my setup. I'll be running the Paxton NOVI 2000. It's good to something like 30 psi! Figure the gains I got of about 14HP/psi, I'm thinking an additional 420 HP, plus Nos (100 shot) = 520 HP, +30HP for the intercooler = 550 HP, plus what I have stock of 161 HP= 711HP. Theres another problem though. Ecactly how reliable are you planning to have this thing be? That's the reason I don't want to go over 400HP. That should be plenty fast for me.

btw, alot of the above was ricer math. That's the only way I could come up with those numbers. :confused:

·
Registered
109 Posts
As for the mufflers, if you're looking for high performance, I wouldn't get either one of the ones you mentioned. Reason: they are not free flowing. The apexi n1s, if they are TRUE turbo design, the will have the inlet pipe flowing into the center of the muffler. Then the will have one or two outlets offset from the center, but not directly connected to the inlet pipe. This means that the air goes in, stacks up inside of the muffler casing only to build up and squeeze out of the outlet(s).
As for the flowmasters, they have baffles, which are like little walls for the air to run into. Both of these designs make backpressure.
There are two widely used types of free flowing mufflers (which you should definetely get if you want around 700hp). There is louvered core which has little raised up ridges in the muffler which attempt to swirl the air to expedite its exit, and there is the perforated core, which just has dozens of little holes in it to allow the exhaust note to react with whatever material is being used for sound control. Of these, the perforated core is definetly the better flowing. Both of these types of mufflers, if you look into the outlet, you can see straight through to the inlet, or vice versa.
Ok, enough exhaust 101, but just one last thing. The thicker and longer the exhaust casing is (not the piping diameter, but the casing itself) on a free flowing muffler, the more sound control it has. The case dimensions to not however affect flow rates.
But if your dead set on one of the two you mentioned, get the flowmaster, they sound much better IMHO.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.