Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just put the car away for the winter. So, now I'm looking at what I want to do while it's in the garage. It's totaly stock right now. I've had it for about 3 months and it's my second 3/s, a Stealth n/a being my first for 3 years, so I'm not new to these cars. Anyway, I'm looking to do some mods, and am looking for opinions and buying information. Here's what I had in mind. p.s., it's a 91 VR-4 :mitsu:

1.) Turbo Timer The guy who had it before me babied it. He was the first owner and let it cool he said. I'm not that patient;) . So, I'm interested in a box style one (for mounting purp.) such as the Blitz FATT (not the DC model). I found $106+$12ship.+12harness. Is that good, or should I stay away from that model?

2.) Boost Controler My wallet says we're going manual here:rolleyes: I know to stay away from those $30 ones on ebay. But don't want to spend over $120 if possible. What's good? Where's the best place to get one?

3.) 52mm Gauge I already have a 52mm Autometer white face boost gauge. I want to do a dual A-pilar pod set up, but don't know what other gauge would best suite me. I was thinking Air/Fuel. What would match my other gauge, be somewhat cost effective, and actualy do something for me?

4. BOV This in not at the top of my list. It'd be nice to have but I'm looking for under $150 mods to start with. Any suggestions?

I just turned 20, and am in college.:rolleyes: My money is limited. That's all for now. Thanks in advance! :mitsu: :dodge:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
please! any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
227 Posts
here's what to get in orderwith little cash:

1. k+n fipk ($150)
2. boost controller (be cautious w/ manual-overboost)
3. precats/main cat+dp

·
5,179 Posts
I would get these first (at the same time):
1) filter
2) downpipe with gutted precats
3) boost controller/boost gauge

Next:
4) bov
5) turbo timer (I have a new hks type 1 with the harness for sale. Send me a email if you are interested. [email protected])

Last:
6) exhaust

These mods should be good enough to compete with anything in this area ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the list of thing's I'm getting in order. Do you have any suggestions/ideas on pricing and what models of each thing to get? thanks again!

·
5,179 Posts
This is what I had (everything worked great for me)

filter: K&N (I had the aircharger for dsm cars but its discontinued)

downpipe: ATR (or stillen) ATR is less expensive.

boost controller/gauge: HKS EVC/Autometer (Dont get the AVC-R) I like autometer because it is not that expensive and it works. You can go with any boost controller (Just get what you like)

bov:Greddy type-s (good sound but not loud) You can find them used for less than any other bov. I got mine from powerhouse racing. You will still need the adaptor though.

timer:HKS type 1 (never installed but had many good features) I didnt need the timer. I would always sit in the car after driving to let it cool down (I didnt drive that often)

exhaust: I had the stock exhaust for a while and it worked well, but the sound is not that great (with gutted precats and aftermarket downpipe). I later purchased a custom RSR exhaust and ATR exhaust. I liked the custom exhaust more (better sound)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
my advice-

Ultimate Performance Cold Air wall- $75 with filter shipped.

Joe P MBC- $50

DSM BOV with adapter flange- $50-65 bucks

Turbo Timer- get a used one.

Either gut your precats and get a test pipe (not bad) or save up for a real down pipe (MUCH BETTER - Stillen eliminates front precat and Main cat- all you do is gut the rear one).

That would be the ideal things. Then I would suggest some little freebie types- hot wire the stock pump, fuel pump relay bypass, EGR block off, pulling emissions, etc...

:)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the interest. I've never heard of "Joe P MBC". I'll have to look into it. I'm staying away from exhaust gutting because I live in a smog controlled area, and our cars are tested every other year. I want to stick with the mod's I said, but will also do the intake too (I didn't think of that at the time I made the list). Happy thanksgiving!

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
People make it soulnd as if they need to cool their cars down for 5 minutes. You only have to let it cool if you had been getting on it creating boost. I would save the money off of the timer and put it towards an electric boost controller.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.