Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what became of those pics of DSM intercoolers modified to fit on our cars? I've run searches and have only come across a couple of dead links.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Ron

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
try to change the link to be

3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php or whatever

if the links are too old you can just change it to that and it will work...make sure you keep all that jibberish after the .php too cause thats the thread id and etc etc.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The DSM IC's are bigger and have a larger flow, but I don't think they'll cool any better than the stockers. Front air dam just doesn't allow it.

If you didn't catch it already, it requires some piping modifications to the ICs. Probably cost around 100 bucks from a machine shop, plus the cost of the intercooler from a junkyard (or new, I'd suggest a junkyard. Most of the guys running the places think they're heater cores).

You could also have someone weld the two cores together, fabricate an end tank (not that expensive either) then buy the PPE FMIC piping kit, and have yourself a front mount.

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
TenshiVR-4 said:
The DSM IC's are bigger and have a larger flow, but I don't think they'll cool any better than the stockers. Front air dam just doesn't allow it.

If you didn't catch it already, it requires some piping modifications to the ICs. Probably cost around 100 bucks from a machine shop, plus the cost of the intercooler from a junkyard (or new, I'd suggest a junkyard. Most of the guys running the places think they're heater cores).

You could also have someone weld the two cores together, fabricate an end tank (not that expensive either) then buy the PPE FMIC piping kit, and have yourself a front mount.
On the contrary, I know someone who did this and felt it was a very worthwhile upgrade for the $$$ - he picked up a consistent few tenths in the 1/4 mile from it. I don't recall his name on this board but maybe he'll see this thread and reply.

-m

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I agree with you, definitely worth while, just takes a bit to do.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
There were some guys on here that were supposedly making a "kit" of two DSM intercoolers to mount up in the stock position... but I never heard anything more about it. I think they deleted the thread. I've got two of them from a 1st gen Talon sitting in my garage waiting for this same thing, when it gets a bit warmer I'll start working in my garage again on them. I don't know exactly what is involved as of yet, when I do go ahead with this mod I'll post pics, I have heard that the oil cooler will have to be relocated too, but it's possible I may design around that. Just for reference, the stock intercoolers are approx 130 cubic inches. The DSM's are around 200, and are bigger than the HKS upgrade. I think DR's intercoolers are slightly bigger than the DSM, but not by much. Certainly not worth the price tag, I got these two Talon intercoolers for $65 total.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone had actually posted pictures or a link to some pictures showing what these DSM intercoolers modified to fit our cars looked like. I know they're out there somewhere. Anyone seen them or remember them?
Thanks!

Ron

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
true

Marcus Frost said:

On the contrary, I know someone who did this and felt it was a very worthwhile upgrade for the $$$ - he picked up a consistent few tenths in the 1/4 mile from it. I don't recall his name on this board but maybe he'll see this thread and reply.

-m

This is true, I talked with him extensively. With no other changes he picked up almost 0.15 sec! What's more, he had stock turbos and had yet to even try to bump up the boost past normal bpu 15psi. Theoretically he should get a bit further with superior intercoolers, probably not too much though. With upgraded turbos the DSMers will ROCK ~> remember they were designed and optimized for the 14b which pushes almost the same amount of air as the 15g.

The DSM cores are nearly twice the size of the stock cores, they are in fact, notably larger (20-30 %) than the HKS cores. Until I hold a set from DR and a DSM core in my hands, I won't rule out the possibility DR hasn't found a good source of NEW dsm cores and did the piping for them, this would explain the damn good price DR offers.

I back up the cheapo dsm i/c upgrade!
______

On the other hand - I would like to offer a slight bashing of the front mount idea.

What the hell kind of front mount will you find that will be idea for stock 9b turbos? Maybe that off a Starion! :D No really, the 9b's push barely more than a single 16g turbo. To go front mount with stockers is just silly. In fact, I wouldn't bother THINKING about a frontmount, unless I was running T3-60 class turbos, such as the new Phantoms, or the record holding GT-Pro GT368sxs.

In all honesty, a big front-mount is mostly for show unless you making REAL horsepower - and a properly sized for 9bs front-mount would look pretty stupid. Why bother impeding the radiator's cooling capability unless your turbos are too big for side-mounts? As for that, didn't Matt run his record setting run on STOCK intercoolers - half the size of the DSM cores!?!? That said, I’d say even a 17g equipped car stick with side-mounts.

Alamo sells a side-mount that’s even bigger than Dynamic’s – with those you could probably run 9s without the intercooler being an impedance.

:) I'm a side-mount champion!!! As are the guys at HAHN RACECRAFT. They have a super upgraded side-mount for the dsm that's perfect for a 20g turbo, unless you get a 25g or something a single sidemount is enough for a dsm. That said, I wonder if his super sidemount fits on a VR4! ;) Twin 20gs & two of those mofos, oh baby. Leave the front-mounts to single turbo cars with well thought out cooling systems or that'll never see a closed circuit track.

Front-mounts are for 700 bhp Supras and 163 bhp Integras (that lost 7 hp to the other stupid mods they installed along with their electronic bov & plastic... front-mount).

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
FMIC - See: Skyline GT-R (all years, bone stock), Supra Turbo (MKIII, not sure about MKIV, bone stock)

Both cars run pretty beefy FMIC's bone stock. I have pictures (I'll try to find a scanner so I can post them) of my Buddy's R33 V-Spec running 21psi on the stock injectors, stock front mount, and stock turbos. ;) (we ran it again, after we hooked up a knock sensor and came up with NO knock) Admittedly, both cars run larger turbos out of the factory, but it doesn't make sense to get half-assed when it comes to cooling the intake charge, unless you can find a cheap mod, like DSM IC's. Especially if it means it could blow your motor.

Note: All three cars have run sub 9 second 1/4 mile times (I've seen GT-R's run low 8's on street tires), It may be a good idea to use them as an example.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
yup

TenshiVR-4 said:

Note: All three cars have run sub 9 second 1/4 mile times (I've seen GT-R's run low 8's on street tires), It may be a good idea to use them as an example.
I agree. When you want to run 9s no sidemount will do. But with 260 cfm turbos stock the perfectly sized front mount would be that off a Starion ~ if you don't mind local ricers confusing it with a tranny cooler - go ahead. But I maintain, the sidemounts are the best choice until you need a shitload of power.

The DSM core mod is very cheap and quite effective - and they aren't too big for 9bs, nor are they too small for 17gs ~ perfect size for any 3S that's running non T3-60 class turbos (GT368s etc).

·
-
6,794 Posts
Ok, I'm doing a custom supercharger application and need an intercooler. What do you think would be my best bet, stock 3/S sidemounts, a single DSM sidemount, two DSM sidemounts, or a Starion Front mount? I could go crazy and go through one sidemount, into a front mount, and into another sidemount. :D

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
uhh

I thought you gave that up buddy. A supercharger on a dohc?!? :eek:

At any rate, I suggest you use the intercooler the supercharger provider sells - who knows how the internal geometry of the core varies for supercharger applications ~ the air density and speed coming out of a supercharger are not the same as a turbo's.

Just get a lyshom type and forget cooling the charge.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Re: uhh

Telionis-1 said:
I thought you gave that up buddy. A supercharger on a dohc?!? :eek:

At any rate, I suggest you use the intercooler the supercharger provider sells - who knows how the internal geometry of the core varies for supercharger applications ~ the air density and speed coming out of a supercharger are not the same as a turbo's.

Just get a lyshom type and forget cooling the charge.
I'm using a roots type, either a eaton M-90 or M-62. This is going to be all custom, no intercooler provided by anyone. :rolleyes: The properties of a turbo vs. a supercharger don't effect the intercooler I should use, it just all depends on the psi and cfm. Basically these things will push around 500 cfm at around 10 psi, a lot more cfm than a turbo at the same psi. I think I may start out with a single dsm sidemount and an alchy/water injection kit that comes on when I hit a certain psi. A supercharger is not located on the exhaust manifold like a turbo, so there is not as much heat from the engine, just the heat from compressing the air.

·
Boldly Going Nowhere
682 Posts
I thought roots type blowers sit right on top of the lower intake manifold, or replace the intake manifold all together? Wouldn't that kind of blower delete the need or ability to use an intercooler? I know about Vortech's aftercooler, and ATI Procharger's intercooler, but they're centrifugal superchargers.

·
-
6,794 Posts
Yes, on their original application they are bolted to the intake manifold. The M90 comes from the factory on bonneville SSEI's, T-Bird SuperCoupes, Mercury Cougar XR7's, etc. When you use them in an aftermarket application you make some custom plates with a place to hook an intake and outlet hose to. You just fab some brackets to mount it where it can be driven by a belt, and then you just run pipes to the intake, intercooler, throttle body, etc.

·
Grandpa
3,636 Posts
I bet Taj can build you a Plywood front mount, he's unbelievable with that shit!;)

·
-
6,794 Posts
EVILTWIN said:
I bet Taj can build you a Plywood front mount, he's unbelievable with that shit!;)
Nah, but I'll build you a front mount air filter with a mesh grill that looks like an intercooler. ;) Maybe I can make a home made blow off valve sound thingy too. Who needs real performance when you can make other people think you really have it. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.