Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take on a manual sl to kill a stock auto 2000 mustang gt? They don't have too much more hp (like 245 or so), but the torque is way up there. Thankfully most ford trannies shift around 4-5k (just as he starts hitting peak torque), that is if they even work at all. My friend's contour runs to redline before it shifts.

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Start with the basics:

K&N Airfilter
And a good tune-up (there is no use in adding HP if your no already running what you got) which include better wires and plugs

THen start the real mods:

Down pipe
Exhaust system
Underdrive pulleys
Better clutch

That may get you up to 245. Of course the 94-95 GT's run 245. 96-98's are pushing 260 and the 99+ are even more.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
245 hp on a stock GT stang?! i don't think its that high. I know that the 98 ones had 225 and the 2000's still have the same engine so i don't think there could be such a big diff in hp. I know that a stock SL can beat a stock stang on any day as long as the SL driver knows how to launch and shift.

·
THE GAME
1,464 Posts
My bad , i just looked up the hp on a 2000 stang and its 260. anyway , i think a 5 speed SL can take an auto stang. But if you want to be sure get an Air intake , underdrive pully , spark plug wires , and a good clutch. with those mods you can beat a stang for sure.

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
You're right...I got my numbers confused. Here is what MSN Carpoint gives for the GT:

94-95 - 215 HP & 288 FT/LB Torque
96-96 - 225 HP & 286 FT/LB Torque
99+ - 260 HP & 302 FT/LB Torque

But remember..they are about 400 pound less than us.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its 260 horsepower @ 5250 rpm
302 pound/feet @ 4000 rpm

motor trend says 5 speed mustang gts run 14.0 in the quarter mile. What do you think an auto would run?

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
I guess you can .4-.7 seconds off that time, although that might be too generous. What year was that? I guess that is the 99+ right?

·
Registered
606 Posts
-good clutch/lightened flywheel
-intake
-downpipe/catback exhaust
-UDP
-50-100shot N2O
and do what austinGT said, get a good tune-up before those mods, practice your launch alot and shifting then go smoke some stang.

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
I used to have a '95 and '99 Mustang V6 Convertible. They Redlined at 4800 RPM. That is almost 2500 rpm's less than a 3000Gt which means you are in 2nd gear at mid range RPM's, while a mustang v6 is in third gear. I thinK at GT Redlines at 6000.
Practice those launches, another mod to do is get a good suspension. You can add all the HP you want but if you cannot connect with the road you go nowhere, that is why a VR-4 is dangerous. THey have the AWD that almost always grabs at the road on hard launches.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
To kill it, you will need a 100 shot of NOS. Ask BIGKASH about his run against a z28.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You wont need anything if you can drive. I have beat three 99+ mustangs. All three were stock. Two were autos. The two autos didnt have a chance and the manual lost by about 1/2 car length. One of the autos was a factory geek and got beat by at least 5 car lengths.
Aaron

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
Excuse my skeptism...but the numbers don't add up for you to beat a 99+ GT. I am not saying you didn't, but the drivers of the stangs you ran against must not have known how to drive that car.

A 1999+ mustang Gt is pushing 260 HP and 302 FT/LB torque Stock, and a DOHc 3000GT is pushing 222HP and 205? FT/LB torque. (In some I think it is only 217) and a 1999+ Gt weight 400 pounds less and a 3000GT. If I remember correctly loosing 100 pounds is an equvilant of gaining 10 HP (If I am wrong can someone correct me).

I can see a STOCK 3/s DOHC running with 94-95 GT and even some 96-98 But I can't see a Stock 3/s running with the 99+ plus, just looking at the numbers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I believe the guy in the manual was a crappy driver and the car I am sure is faster than mine. The autos are not as fast as our SLs. They may have more HP but they are slower.
Aaron

·
Registered
127 Posts
i almost beat a newer cobra and i had every seat filled with big kids all like 160 a piece but when i shifted into 2nd my tires started spinning thats when he passed me. i have a 91 stealth r/t non turbo with just a intake and just 91 octane and ocatane boost as well as some small things like a new pcv valve (which is good to change for those of you who havent) and cleaned my injectors. i beat gts alot.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Cobras are quite a bit faster than the GTs too. They have DOHCs I believe. I lost pretty badly to one not too long ago. Not sure if he was modded or not.
Aaron

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
ok...I guess I am going to have to go find a GT and a Cobra, do a little revving and see who beats who. I guess I am a cinic that a STOCK 3000GT can beat a GT let alone a Cobra (which pumps out 320 HP) Does anyone else understand where I am coming from or am I just not seeing it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess there really is only one way to find out if a stock sl can take a stock 99 auto gt, someone go out and race one.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts