4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mitsubishi Oem Amp Test Results

Test car: 99 3000GT SL running

Test radio: 2003 Single Din Infinity PN MR587387

Test CD Changer: Mitsu A9003RCX03 in dash changer

Front test Speakers: Diamond D361 Components

Rear test speakers: Stock Infinity coaxial

Audio test device: Radio shack 332055 Digital Sound level meter used in identical positions.

Test Media: The same 30 second music track x 2 on the same cd.

Purpose of the test:

An 03 Mitsubishi amp was tested last February in a 97 SL. Needless to say it was retrofitted

to the SL amp bracket and I never saw the amp again for 4 months. It was that GOOD!

Note the sticker on the newer amp that is shown installed.

This was a great improvement and it was plug and play. Knowing what it was from I sought to find the newer and older cut off points for its production. The first amp found was a 97 the oldest year for this part #. The last year found was an 03 for this part number it was in the 03’s from 6/02-9/02. Mitsu starts building the next model year in June. The 04 amp was further improved to a version similar to the Montero’s only with out the sub output. The 04 amp is not plug and play but the pins are fairly easy to switch in the white plug they both use in common.

Because parts yards usually want $100+ for these, the pace of getting these amps was slowed. Then after buying a 97 amp for $50 with the same part # and finding different circuitry. It was time to play it safe and wait until I could see the original. I had to wait until July to get my hands on the original amp that was 450 miles away. I have since bought an 01,02 03 and 04. One amp is from 03 is from a different Mitsu yet.

The test was complicated by having to make an adaptor to return the 99SL to amp wiring to stock since it has the 315w Montero amp in it. This was done by making an adaptor consisting of the amp integration harness a few new pins (the amp integration harnesses don’t have pins for power in them) and another amp plug. The orange wires would be for a sub output that the other amps obviously don’t have.

The readings taken for the test were the loudest I could find at the speakers and the last reading was the center cabin at ear level looking for the loudest readings possible again using identical standards.

There were a total of 7 amps tested. 1 – 04, 3-03, 1-02, 1-98 and a 99 3000GT amp.

The results in Decibels (it was a table)

RF Door
LF Door
R Rear
L Rear
LTweeter
RTweeter
C Cabin

04 Diamante
112**

03 Diamante

02 Diamante

98 Diamante

03 Montero 315Watt
111*

03 Gallant

99 3000GT

Observations: There are similar output IC numbers on many (not all) of these amps with different circuitry on the older ones. BUT the 99 3000GT amp was clearly inferior to all it ramped up quickly, as did the rest but really clipped (due to distortion) past 2/3 volume. Compared to the 99 amp all the rest were loud and clear. There was a slight advantage to the 03 M and O4 D. It goes along with the basic formula for increased power per watt as these have the higher wattage IC’s. Another note is the supply voltage on the 03 M could be improved.

Another important note is the 97 SL with this amp did not blow any speakers during the 4 month test. Something that could be done seemingly at will in the 99 previously with the stock speakers. The 3000gt amps are the same from 94-99.

*Evidently by adding the last channel Mitsu has caused the biggest voltage drop of any amps on the power supply to it.

** As noted previously. The late (Oct+) 03 and 04 Diamante amps are not plug and play. The 315W system has the same wiring as the 04 Diamante plus two wires for the sub. Both amps have 45 watt Ic’s in them vs 30 watts for the others. (RMS)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I so need to get off my arse and get my stock stereo upgraded to one of your stock-look setups...

So Dave, what are you going to do with all those extra amps? :D

I would like one to replace my OEM one which doesn't work. It seems like a lot of those would work, and a direct plug-n-play would be great!

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scb147 said:
I so need to get off my arse and get my stock stereo upgraded to one of your stock-look setups...

So Dave, what are you going to do with all those extra amps? :D

I would like one to replace my OEM one which doesn't work. It seems like a lot of those would work, and a direct plug-n-play would be great!

I had the post done for the local car show "Quickening" in the cars booklet. But wanted to make sure I sold the amps I bought first :D

I do have a 315W amp I've been saving.

AND I emailed David Rapport @ lkq (the biggest parts yard group in the country) It seems like they will post some amps for us. He actually listed one last week too :D

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Diamamte 97-03 part # MR172814 made until 9/1/02 is the best amp for plug and play installs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Is that the model of the amp with the sub output? I've been eye-ing this thread since you started it. I like the factory radio systems because I'm living on campus and not many people are stealing factory units. I'm very interested in a better factory amp and one with a sub output kills 2 birds with one stone. Is the 315 watt amp the one with the output? I'm kind of confused on which is which... I don't care if it's plug and play or not, as long as I have access to some sort of diagram that explains what lead is what.

Basically, I have a '94 SLwith Infinity sound: tape deck head unit in dash, 6 disk changer in trunk, steering wheel controls, and the factory amp. My head unit is screwing up, typical of them from other posts of yours I've read... I'd like to replace it with a factory cd unit (Infinity like the original) and retain the steering wheel control and cd changer. I'd also like to replace the factory amp soon and, like i mentioned above, I have a small sub I'd like it to push. Nothing fancy or extreme, just a sub for a little more depth.

I don't mean to thread jack, could you post or pm, or point me to information you've found. I've found a thread you started on the headunits but it didn't seem definitive enough for me to drop a hundred or so bucks on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have the only infinity headunit that works with that changer. The Montero 315w amp needs a highly efficient sub. If your not trying to go boom...... its great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I guess upgrading the amp is my only option. As long as the steering wheel volume controls work then I guess I can live with it. You have any sort of rough estimate on the power on the sub output? Maybe all the lines are even, 315 watts / 7 channels?

Do you sell or can you provide a source for the 315 watt amp? I've searched online junkyard part searches and ebay and haven't found anything. Would you be willing to pass on the schematics for rewiring the amp plug for this amp? Thanks for all your help.

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 315w amp is 45 X 7 I've had one apart. I'l sell the amp and bare 2 oem subs (1 Mitsu 1 Nissan Rockford) for $100 shipped with wiring diagrams an extra amp plug because you need to add two terminals to the existing wiring for the sub.

You can always put an aftermarket 6 ch amp in and use the infinity radios with it. Check the link in my sig for a 4 ch amp install.

·
tom98vr4
90 Posts
The 315w amp is 45 X 7 I've had one apart. I'l sell the amp and bare 2 oem subs (1 Mitsu 1 Nissan Rockford) for $100 shipped with wiring diagrams an extra amp plug because you need to add two terminals to the existing wiring for the sub.

You can always put an aftermarket 6 ch amp in and use the infinity radios with it. Check the link in my sig for a 4 ch amp install.
Are you still selling these amps? My 99 VR4 amp is slowly fading and I have a powered amp and sub in my back seat. This would eliminate me having to have that amp.

thanks.

·
Oh SNAP!!!
6,115 Posts
wow...very nice and extensive research...nice...

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I may have another mitsu amp to add to the list if it tests out correctly. I believe it was from an outlander. It has the new style amp symbol and looks like a plug and play version rather than the new montero/diamante design. I don't think this one will need a bracket modification.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dave - is the Diamonte 1997-03 amp part # MR172814 true plug and play for the stock amp in my 95 VR4? Not even a bracket mod needed? I found one for $60 so I may do a swap just for fun.

Greg, Atl

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bracket mod would be needed on all Diamante except the newest ones those could be screwed down. But they are wired differently.

We can add another amp to the list too it is part # MR490702 I tested it for center cabin DB's and it was 110. It may be from an Outlander of Endeavor??? but I'm not sure. It has the white sticker on it so Im thinking its an 02+ and it will screw down into the floor (if you drill holes for it) or you can do the bracket mod.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
Dave, I was offered a 99-03 Galant Infinity amp. From what you tested, is it plug'n'play (at least the wiring portion)? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave, I was offered a 99-03 Galant Infinity amp. From what you tested, is it plug'n'play (at least the wiring portion)? Thanks!
If thats the years the amp covers ??? yes it would be plug and play aside from mounting it. It seems the amp change to 45W IC's was in 04.

·
Premium Member
5,617 Posts
If thats the years the amp covers ??? yes it would be plug and play aside from mounting it. It seems the amp change to 45W IC's was in 04.
Sure is! Has the 4 screws on top. Thanks for the response! Now I just need to find one of the in-dash changers that you're sporting :cool:.

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4 Figi Blue 1999 3000GT Base Caracas Red
1 Posts
(Edited to problem from Montero amp no-sound resolution to amp frequency performance since I couldn't delete the post)
Not just to revive and old post but I can't get logged in with my user ID from a decade ago but was having issues getting 2 (03 and 04) Montero amps to make a peep.

Edit: Resolved the issue with installing the Montero MR979434 amps when powering the amp from an external 12V (battery charger) for testing before rewiring the white connector. It required grounding the negative side to the car body and making sure the amp was also grounded to the body in order to produce sound for the 6 test speakers I had lying on the carpet. The DIN cable wiring is the same for Front to Rear and L to R channels.

I'm running Infinity Kappa 6.5" doors, Infinity Kappa 6x9" rears and Morel 2.5" CCWR254 in the dash. The Kappas are competent down to a low 35 Hz.

Interesting note with the MR979434 amp. The front channels seem to the same between the factory and Montero amp with higher frequencies fed to the dash speakers and lower frequencies fed to the doors. But the 2 rear channels have a high pass filter built into the amp set at about 200 Hz as I notice a big loss of low base in the rear. In further testing, the 5th sub channel has a low pass filter built in at about 200 Hz. This makes sense so the Montero wouldn't be too unbalanced and bottom heavy and its rear speakers are only 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 (doors). This amp definitely needs a sub added to for some low end.
A single JL Audio CS110TG-TW3 10" sub (24-200 Hz) will get installed this weekend. The sealed enclosure should be just small enough to fit just behind the rear seats and in front of the strut towers while short enough to fit under the top edge of the seats and under the cargo cover. I'll try it just using Montero amp but may install a high level input amp if I need a few more watts. If the Montero amp doesn't get me quite what I want, I will switch out to a 99-03 Diamante amp and use the sub with a high level input amp to see that gets the depth and sound I'm looking for...rich and robust without setting off car alarms and annoying the neighbors. (Back in the day, I had 2 15" Petras Cardiac sealed subs powered by a bridged Pioneer GM 4000 amp as part of a 1000 watt custom competition system in a convertible Cavalier which would give new passengers diarrhea after about 30 minutes of cruising. There was a whole lot of shaking going on! I could actually feel my nose vibrate with those subs)

More testing results coming next week.

·
Super Moderator
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the post.. !!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts