Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lovbyts
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a tune up tonight and had the battery unhooked so the computer would get use to the new plugs. The car stumbled and missed and the idle was unsteady. It also keep dying every time I took it for a test drive even though it ran ok before but did not have the power it should. I found the problem after a lot of searching. The hose that runs from the Y pipe intake had a large hole in it at the bottom where it had been rubbing against another hose next tot the transmission. This is the hose that runs to the BOV. It is the hose half way up the Y pipe running down to the BOV. (turbo bypass) Anyways it was a large vacuum leak. I could not see it but felt the bottom of the hose. The computer had compensated over time to make up the difference but when I unhooked the power and re set the computer it did not know what to do. If you are having problem check for a leak. I hope this helps someone else.

[This message has been edited by Paul H. (edited January 25, 2000).]

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Paul, I noticed this when I was doing my clutch hose a month ago and forgot to tell all. The bypass hose for the blow off valve on my HKS SBOV was getting rubbed every time the stick would move to 5th, 6th and reverse gears. The gears like 6th and reverse were really rubbing hard on the hose and makes the transmission feel next to impossible to get into reverse or 6th. Not everyone’s BOV hose sit the same spot down there but some do get in the way as well and they will have 6th and reverse feel rough. To explain what's going on.. the swivel head(not sure what's called) on top of the transmission moves it's farthest to the passenger wheel side with these gears.. 5th, 6th and reverse which is the most farthest, they rubs against the BOV hose. Mine was not completely worn but was getting there. I made the hose shorter and propped it up away from the shifter linkage and it fixed it. The stick moves more freely to gears now! I wish I could have brought this up awhile ago and saved you the headache Paul!

Mario 94 VR-4

[This message has been edited by VR-4 Tissimo (edited December 21, 1999).]

·
Lovbyts
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm seeing a few people asking for help and this might be it.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
He is talking about the BPV hose (Bypass valve) on the turbo cars. This is the one that leaves the y-pipe before the batt and leads into the valve mounted below the MAS housing. If it is cracked or badly installed it my crack and leaks. The more boost applied to the car the more it leaks and limits boost that can be built up.

This belongs to the standard checking procedure if there is lack of power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.