Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the world of VR4's but my 96 has developed it's first problem at wide open throttle it has a miss when it gets to approximately 5000rpm could anyone help me as to what is wrong, before I start dropping money left and right. By the way if I only hold the pedal down 3/4 of the way the car would pull hard all the way to 7000rpm.
Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris
96 VR4
92 ES

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try changing the spark plugs.. I have a 1992 VR-4 that had the same exact problem and after changing the plugs, it worked fine.. The previous owner decided that it was too much work to replace the plugs in the rear cylinder bank..

Good Luck

'92 VR4

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I'd agree that the quick thing to look at is the plugs. Put in a new set of properly gaped NGK factory spec plugs.

When I bought my '94 VR4 I replaced the plugs with a set of Bosch Plus 4's.

At first it seemed fine but after about 100 miles I noticed it would miss under hard acceleration (but you could accerelerate smoothly through it).

Changing the plugs to the NGK's fixed the problem immediately. It has run great since then (about 2000 miles).

If the plugs looked fouled you'll need to look further to avoid the problem again.

Bear in mind that the NGK plugs are not cheap.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts