Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I thought I'd share my good experience with Bob Melton and his downpipe for the VR4 & R/T TT. I recieved my product on time as promised, complete with no missing parts, and installed it today. I took my downpipe off and melton's downpipe bolted right up without any problems what so ever! I know that people have had various fitment problems with other downpipes such as the DN Performance one as well as the ATR... so I just thought I'd let everyone know that the melton piece is a great product, and Bob has been great dealing with. Very straightforward, with no non-sense.

-m

Attachments

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
Judging from your pics, I don't see how this downpipe improves performance other than removing the cat. The design looks just like the stock DP. Am I missing something here?

·
Favorite Food=E46 M3
334 Posts
I dont like it much either. I guess its an improvement over the stock, especially for the back 3 cylinders. i read someplace that this has no performance disadvantages over the "normal style" aftermarket DP, but its just looks too awkard/ugly. i have been looking for some picks and feedback on the DP from http://www.tyspeedperformance.com/
but I guess its a new product and not a lot of people have them yet.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
The Bob Melton downpipe eliminates the T that is in the stock downpipe and gives it a more fluid, Y shape.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I ordered my Melton downpipe and testpipe with the 1st revision styling. Different than the version Marcus Frost has. See pic:

I love it. It installed EASY and the performance helped me gain .5 sec on my 1/4 mile time (not track time - time according to my turbo timer) from 12.82s to 12.34s. The higher RPM band seems a little more responsive now. Sound isn't much different than my stock setup until I hit 3000 rpm then she growls a bit more.

Recommend this downpipe and testpipe to anyone, VERY satisified with Bob Meltons work and service. Great work.

·
The Reality Of Tomorrow
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As turbo tension said, the way the pipe coming from the rear cat flows into the pipe is much better than the T from the stocker - you cannot really see it from the angle of the picture.

The piping is also larger @ 3", up to the rear section where it narrows back down to the stock 2.5".

For $280 including gaskets and the test pipe... it was not a bad deal at all IMO.

-m

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
Marcus Frost said:
As turbo tension said, the way the pipe coming from the rear cat flows into the pipe is much better than the T from the stocker - you cannot really see it from the angle of the picture.

The piping is also larger @ 3", up to the rear section where it narrows back down to the stock 2.5".

For $280 including gaskets and the test pipe... it was not a bad deal at all IMO.

-m

It looks good to me. Hey, as long as you're satisfied, that's all that matters. You're the one driving it in the end! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I don't have a clip of the sound with my Melton downpipe and testpipe, but I can tell you what it's like. I have a stock catback and precats that are NOT gutted.

The sound at idling isn't much different at all, maybe a tad improved but hard to tell. When you get about 2900 rpms or so, especially in first gear, you can definitely hear a different, sounds louder, but doesn't sound bad at all. The difference isn't enough to irritate neighbors or anything like that by any means. So if you're looking for a LOUD exhaust, you won't get it with this combination. You will however get a little bit of a nicer growl with acceleration. Anytime your WOT it sounds much nicer too. Standing cruising speeds have NO resonance or noise in the inside cabin that I car hear either.

I'm 100% happy with the results. Flow is improved, my times are improved, it pulls harder, sounds nicer, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I like doing all my mods in stages basically. After each upgrade I take the car out for a few test runs and time my runs with my turbo timer to determine the upgrade's effectiveness. Also like running for a few days to find out if any potential problems creep up before the next stage is tackled.

I'll gut my precats this spring most likely. I'm in no hurry since I don't drive it during winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts