Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it was ALMOST me racing him and of course I would have had my a$$ handed to me. I see this late 60's Camaro on the street quite often, they call it "Incredible Hulk" because of it's cheapo green metallic paintjob... uneven color and all. But he spent the money in the "go-fast's" and NOT the paint...

Now mind you, this car is STREET LEGAL and drives with probably 30-35" wide tires on the back, the car is tubbed, etc.

So the other day I"m driving with the wife and start laughing at the guy with the big wide tires and PARACHUTE on the back, driving down the road.. Tried to get next to him but it didn't work out.

Sunday I decided to go down to the drag race track and lo-and-behold this car is there. They announce him like he's some sort of God at the track, I giggled but then looked at the time on his window... 8.60 :eek: :eek:

The announcer gave a brief description of the car, I can't remember the size of the engine but I swear he said 600-some Cubic inches :cool:

Well, he takes off and does an 8.66 (don't remember the trap speed).

I guess I'm lucky I didn't try to race him on the street, huh? :)

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
ok i will be the first to ask...how in the hell does a car that runs a 8.66 be street legal???? Are you sure that wasn't his 1/8 mile time? :D

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, this is Indiana... no smog requirements, etc. All it takes to be street legal is an engine, a frame/body, 4 wheels, headlights, taillights, and turn signals.

But I will say this car (other than the rear wheels) looked pretty stock. No big blower or anything sticking out, body was pretty much stock. Didn't get to see the interior though.

Bottom line is the guy actually drives it on the street. I have probably seen the car 3-4 times this summer and the announcer said the guy "Drives it to work 2 or 3 times a week".

I can imagine the gas mileage... betcha he's lucky to get 5mpg in street driving. I know my '71 Chevelle got around 11mpg, 4 or 5 when I played a lot.

A

·
0 Posts
There are a few 9 second street cars here in DFW.

There was an awesome car GTG in Houston. A bunch of big dawg Supras, Stangs, and Fbodies and Vettes got together and played around. There's a vid of one of the races on the net. SW's Supra back when it was T72'd vs a supercharged/stroked 383 T/A.

Now that would have been a fun race to witness. SW walked away from the T/A, couse, now his Supra seems to run 9's with the latest upgrades. I understand he has a 9 second Vette which was recently in Car and Driver.

Money... must be nice... :)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Damn you guys are lucky as hell. Here in NJ everything is illegal when it comes to cars. No this no that, it is pathetic. :mad:

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
yeah same way here in pennsylvania. I got pulled over for my wing the other night out on the loop. The cop says all wings are illegal :confused: :confused: what the fuck kind of statement is that???

F

·
0 Posts
Hey Ahroun, do you know anybody that has a Twin Turbo set up on a 383. I am debating on supercharging or Twin Turbo's. I know of Twin Turbo LS1 and LT1's but not 383.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
JeremyG said:
Now mind you, this car is STREET LEGAL and drives with probably 30-35" wide tires on the back, the car is tubbed, etc.
2.5 foot wide DOT approved tires? Never heard of those...:rolleyes:

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
2.5 foot wide DOT approved tires? Never heard of those...
good piont trevor. lol. hey when are you coming to az?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I have to be there July 31st. I can move to go as early as the 1st of July. The earlier the better in my eyes. I've been looking at plans for new houses on the internet. I'm plannin' and schemin'. :D

·
VR4 Member
1,877 Posts
that sounds pretty cool. we will definatly have to get a meet then! maybe all of our cars will be running then too. too bad you weren't sent to luke afb. then you could live in phoenix.

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Re: Me vs. 8.66 second STREET LEGAL Camaro!

Trevor said:

2.5 foot wide DOT approved tires? Never heard of those...:rolleyes:
Don't know what to tell ya... I'm estimating the width and have seen him driving with the SAME tires on the street. Can't say for sure that they are DOT but I'm not 100% sure that tires have to be DOT approved in Indiana... I also see a tubbed S-10 driving around with wide tires like that.

Maybe the announcer was saying Street Legal CAR but didn't mention the tires weren't street legal? I dunno. All I know is that the car is FAST and it's being driven on the street several times a week, so it must either be LEGAL or he's breaking the law every time he drives. I'm tempted to believe it IS street legal.

A

·
0 Posts
Firehawk said:
Hey Ahroun, do you know anybody that has a Twin Turbo set up on a 383. I am debating on supercharging or Twin Turbo's. I know of Twin Turbo LS1 and LT1's but not 383.
Actually Jeremy Newhouse, a guy up here in Dallas had a hugger orange Camaro SS with, I believe, a 385 stroker (either that or a 382... I'm pretty sure it was a 385) and twin turbos. Unfortunately that car is no longer with us cause of some f*ckwad redneck in a Ford pickup. They walked away because of the roll cage -- wise investment.

That car was pretty mean. He ran another guy up here by the name of Jordan Musser. They tried a 50mph punch, and Jordan walked him because Jeremy was spinning the tires (BFG comp t/as). They tried a 70mph punch, same thing. Jeremy spun through 4th gear. That car pretty much <i>required</i> drag radials for any kind of racing, otherwise it's a waste of power.

A

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Me vs. 8.66 second STREET LEGAL Camaro!

JeremyG said:

Maybe the announcer was saying Street Legal CAR but didn't mention the tires weren't street legal? I dunno. All I know is that the car is FAST and it's being driven on the street several times a week, so it must either be LEGAL or he's breaking the law every time he drives. I'm tempted to believe it IS street legal.
The sidewall of the tire say anything? Mickey Thompson has a series of tires that are DOT approved... E/T Drags aren't street legal, last I checked, but E/T Streets are definitly.

Nitto 555's are and they're cheaper. :) Course they don't grip as well, but money's tight!!

·
Turbo-Less
8,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: Re: Me vs. 8.66 second STREET LEGAL Camaro!

Ahroun said:

The sidewall of the tire say anything? Mickey Thompson has a series of tires that are DOT approved... E/T Drags aren't street legal, last I checked, but E/T Streets are definitly.

Nitto 555's are and they're cheaper. :) Course they don't grip as well, but money's tight!!
Didn't see the tires close up, and when I see him on the street they are always spinning ;)

Although one time I was following him and THINK I noticed treads on the tires. Maybe he switches them out for street and strip, or maybe he runs the treaded ones on the track? I would doubt that, I can't see mid-8's with treaded tires?

A

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Me vs. 8.66 second STREET LEGAL Camaro!

JeremyG said:

Didn't see the tires close up, and when I see him on the street they are always spinning ;)

Although one time I was following him and THINK I noticed treads on the tires. Maybe he switches them out for street and strip, or maybe he runs the treaded ones on the track? I would doubt that, I can't see mid-8's with treaded tires?
Alot of guys swap out at the track, if they drive their cars down. I'm a little too paranoid to do that, myself, wheels are too expensive to have someone walk off with them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts