Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if he was stock or not. But he kept up with me pretty well. It was at about 11:30 and I had gotten jumped by some POS acura i didnt even know wanted to go. But i didnt pay any attention and just passed it. Then up comes the mustang from behind me. We hit the next light and hes playing his music hella lo0ud and reving his engine. So i look over at him give him a little smile and a rev and out on my race music. Hes revving and inching out. I didnt move and he inched out past me almost half a car length then the light changed and i was out in front right away. Droped the clutch at 4k RPM. He kept up pretty well though. Was on my pumper almost the whole way. Then when i was at about 70 mph this damn red truck pulls out on the road infront of me and i get in the mustangs lane and then all of a sudden this damn red FORD truck that i passed goes screaming past me. Turned out to be a lightning. THose are amazingly fast for trucks. I was stock cept for intake at the time.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yes, we are VERY fast;)

Nice kill:cool:

·
Ultimate Senior Member
889 Posts
People seem to hate mustangs? I dont know why?

They are respectable cars and they are definately fast. Maybe its the drivers?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ill tell you why

It IS because of owners and other people. Everyone thinks mustangs are the best cars in the world. People who dont know jack crap about cars think they can beat anything and when they hear the name they cream their pants when in reality theyre not NEARLY that great.

Plus i hate people who say ANY mustang can beat corvettes. No mustang can beat probably 80-90% of corvettes, with the exception of the ones in the 70's after emissions laws, and probably a few others. But i don't consider mustangs to be in the same class. Maybe just one lower but they stand no chance. The bottom line is, mustangs are probably the most overrated car out there.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Does that include the 2003 cobra or the Shelby GT500 or an S-351? I know the Cobra can squash a vette. Does that include modified mustangs as well? And yes I agree with you about the owners of the cars. There are however a lot of mustang owners out there that do know a lot about their cars and its performance.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Loki said:
Does that include the 2003 cobra or the Shelby GT500 or an S-351? I know the Cobra can squash a vette. Does that include modified mustangs as well? And yes I agree with you about the owners of the cars. There are however a lot of mustang owners out there that do know a lot about their cars and its performance.
the 03 cobra? squash a z06? i dont think so. they are more like dead even. even with a c5, the cobra barely wins. this is taken from real world occurences and videos found on the net.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would like to see this evidence, which would mean driver against driver. But car for car a C5 won't touch a new Cobra. The Z06 will hang. Ford advertises 390 hp and 390 lbs. of torque out of the factory. However I have seen dyno sheets of stock cobras putting 370 hp to the rear wheel. Cobras are capable of mid 12's from the factory a C5 is not.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Loki said:
I would like to see this evidence, which would mean driver against driver. But car for car a C5 won't touch a new Cobra. The Z06 will hang. Ford advertises 390 hp and 390 lbs. of torque out of the factory. However I have seen dyno sheets of stock cobras putting 370 hp to the rear wheel. Cobras are capable of mid 12's from the factory a C5 is not.
oh, i know what the 03 cobras are capable of. however i have 2 videos of a z06 vs an 03 cobra from a roll. its dead even. if you want, pm me and ill send you the videos when you want. there have been warstories of c5's hanging with cobras. ive seen many stock cobra dyno sheets. they are impressive numbers, but they dont run impressive times for those numbers.

·
glows green
1,054 Posts
you say mid 12's for a cobra which i would not doubt and i don't think that a normal c5 will run that, but a 99 hardtop has run 12.9 according to popular mechanincs, and i know that the z06 can run in the low 12's. but that is with amazing drivers. if you want to talk about real world drivers i would say that the vette would come out on top because it appears to be a much easier car to drive fast and i have not seen a cobra at the track break out of the 13's where as i have seen a z06. i say appears beacause i have only driven c5's and not the new cobra's.

·
Registered
200 Posts
93basegt said:
you say mid 12's for a cobra which i would not doubt and i don't think that a normal c5 will run that, but a 99 hardtop has run 12.9 according to popular mechanincs, and i know that the z06 can run in the low 12's. but that is with amazing drivers. if you want to talk about real world drivers i would say that the vette would come out on top because it appears to be a much easier car to drive fast and i have not seen a cobra at the track break out of the 13's where as i have seen a z06. i say appears beacause i have only driven c5's and not the new cobra's.
I agree with you that in the real world you will have all sorts of different drivers behind the wheel of a vette and a cobra. Between a 03 cobra and a z06 it's a drivers race. I was just saying what the car was capable of and not the drivers of the car. The car might be capable of a mid or low 12 but adding a driver throws in a very important variable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2003 Cobra
390 HP
390 lb.-ft
Weight
Coupe - 3,665 lbs. (1,662 kg), Convertible - 3,780 lbs. (1,715 kg)

2002 Z06
405 HP
400 lb.-ft
Weight
3,118 lbs. (1414kg)

So what your saying is that cobra that does and estimated 12.9 in the quater from the factroy. Is going to beat the lighter, more aerodynamic, Z06 that is estimated to do a 12.4?? Wait, I'm sorry you said that they would run nose to nose, Nah, I have to agree with the wanna be.

Also note, that Chevy is KNOWN to under estimate there HP #'s look at the Camaro LS1, 305 HP sotck, and there putting that to the ground, stock, and I have read that they have under estimated the Z06 also. And Ford, is KNOWN to BS there HP #'s, over estimating them.

But who cares about that, look at the KNOWN FACTS of the Z06, and the Cobra....

Z06--More HP+More Torque+Better Aerodynamics=Tail Lights For The 03 Cobra....

Anyways, great kill, keep up the good racing, and watch out for those Lightings.... lol

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ford has drastically underrated this years cobra. It puts 370 to the wheels. And, no this isn't real world driving but Muscle Mustangs clicked off a 12.5 on street tires with a 2003 cobra. And i never said it would beat a z06. I said it would beat a C5.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Originally posted by Quick VR4
it is still a POS ford!!

:rolleyes: I bet that "POS Ford" would more than likely wipe the floor with your ass.

And about the comparisions on the ZO6 Vs 03 Cobra~ The ZO6 stock for stock will edge out an 03 cobra 9 out of 10 times. The Cobra has the "potential" to run alot faster than the ZO6. THat is a fact. Add a new exhaust, new Lightning pulley, a chip and intake and you are looking at low 11's all day long.

It will take the ZO6 a hell of alot more to attain those times. F/I is just easier to work with.

Now given that, IMO the ZO6 is a much better looking car and will most likely be in my garage in the next two years;)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
big deal if it puts 370 to the ground, thats not underestimating, they could of done a damn good job like porsche does, did you know that the 89 porsche 944 turbo s has only 240hp, puts down around 225 to the wheels and runs mid 13's, im guess that ford eliminated a lot of lossed hp which is easily possible, i seen the cobra run an 11.9 in mustangs and fast fords stock, with slicks and they were tuning it all day, any ideas what the Z06 runs on slicks? I'm sorry, but the cobra won't touch the Z06, and the Z06 will not touch the new Viper.

·
Registered
118 Posts
LS1Power

Yer right about chevy underestimating power. One 69 corvette, forgot which one exactly, and im not an expert but i know this for a fact that chevy rated it at 550HP when it was actually 650HP. A beast. They rated it in a different way to make it street legal, or for insurance or something im not sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.