Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share my build with everyone. Lots of pictures, and no hype!

Never made a build thread before, not sure where to start. I'm just going to give a little background on the car.

Purchased the car (1997 VR4) around August last year. Everything checked out OK, felt good about the purchase. My intentions for the car were to be used as a DD and keep it relatively stock.

On the way back (~7 hour drive) I notice a faint smell of burning oil, however was told by the previous owner that oil had dripped into the downpipe and was simply burning off. Stopped about an hour away from home to fill up the tank, decided to check the oil level for kicks. Was very dark out, didn't really see too much on the dipstick so I decided to put in 1qt, then another. Still couldn't see a difference so I figured it was just me, oil pressure registered well on stock gauge all the way back. Drove the rest of the way home without a problem.

The next day I popped the hood, and decided to drain the oil out of curiosity. Just about shit my pants.

At this point, I'm very worried about spinning a bearing, excess wear on the crankshaft, etc. At this point I figured a rebuild was in order, but figured I would see if I could stretch out the engine. At this point I knew I had a leak/burning oil somewhere and I wanted to find out where. Put 5qts in and cranked it up. Immediately Saw smoke after start-up (daylight outside now). Looked upon the front of the engine and saw oil leaking out of the oil fill cap. Inspected the oil cap, found to be very dry. Also checked oil pressure, which was now sky high. Only case of this I have seen on the 3/s was Superinflamo with his single turbo, had his OPRV get stuck from lack of lubrication. This made sense to me.

From here, I decided to check the plugs. Saw oil pooled around the spark plugs, leaking out of all of the front bank spark plug gaskets.

At this point I ordered new OEM oil cap gasket, VC gasket(s) and PCV. After these parts are installed the engine runs without any major leaks, still burns oil although less at this point.

Also notice the front end is mangled. This was brought up during the sale, however I did not fully realize the extent of the damage. Here is a picture of the underside of the radiator support.

Now I want to see how much damage had been done to the crank, so I decided to try to get the engine to break under some stress. On a deserted SC road at night I do about 1-3rd on the 6 speed Getrag, hitting redline in every gear. Engine did fine, although the brakes did not seem quite up to par. Also have some faint wheel bearing noise.

Ordered OEM front wheel bearings, complete brake package including drilled/slotted rotors, your basic boring street pads, and the 3SX SS brake lines.

The car after all of these parts were installed:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably about 7-8 months of daily driving the car until I was ready for the build itself. Got some new rims, that was about it.

Eventually got the mod bug, started buying parts for a decent TD05 setup. Got just about there, had to make the tough decision to walk away and tone down the build (for personal reasons).

A for sale picture of the setup I had always wanted:

Now time for the teardown.

Some ******* engineering: (forgot about the crank pulley before tearing into the bay).

A quick bump of the engine and the bolt breaks free. Also note that I tried my Craftsman air impact beforehand, without any hint of success.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After getting all of the belts, etc removed I found another scare:

Easily separated in my hands, very lucky that it did not separate while the engine was running.

I think I found the source of the oil burning, although there was oil pooled in both turbochargers, intake tract, etc:

Tired of typing, more to come later.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more pictures of the tear-down, used over 100 zip lock baggies for nuts & bolts over the entire process.

At first I was like "there's no way I'm going to use 100 of these things" :lol:

Factory crosshatch:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couple pictures of some rough port work:

Getting back to the engine, crank looked good so I sent it off to Ray for a polish. Went out of his way to accommodate me. Turn around was lightning fast and price was more than reasonable, very glad I went through with it.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Transmission cleaned up & painted:

Dave's mount installed:

Also cut off the counterweight

Back to the engine itself;

New crosshatch via Flexhone:

Dropping the crank back in:

Wanted to give another big thanks to Chris Hill!

Used Permatex Ultra Slick assy. lube for the assembly of the entire engine.
New OEM main bolts
Std. Clevite 77 bearings
New OEM oil pressure switch & sender
New OEM oil pump
New OEM Pickup
New OEM rear main seal
New OEM pickup & oil pump gaskets
Re-used the rods and pistons, simply cleaned them up.
Std. Sealed Power rings

·
Premium Member
5,349 Posts
Looking good. Curious if you did comp chech before yanking / tear down. Wonder if your turbos were the only issue?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't even bother. I'm sure the compression was great, the engine ran very well. Just burnt oil. Never enough for me to have to add oil in between oil changes, but still enough to be noticeable.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Still blows my mind how it stayed together.

Pan sealed with Permatex Ultra Black RTV:

Some more less exciting (no pictures) changes include:
-New OEM Rear bearings pressed on
-Minor rust on the underbody sanded down and primed/sealed with truck bed liner
-Main factory "channel" heat shield sanded & re-finished
-3sx downpipe & M2 catback/test pipe painted with VHT flameproof
-OEM ABS delete installed
-SnapOn Blue-Point tool used to dis-assemble heads
-Valves lapped with Permatex Valve Grinding Compound
-Heads cleaned of excess carbon buildups
-New OEM VSS Installed

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the heads bolted down:
-New OEM MLS Headgaskets
-New OEM Head Bolts
-New OEM Knock Sensor
-New NP '99 Style Lifters
-New OEM O ring for t-stat side of crossover tube

-New OEM Lower intake mani to head gaskets
-New OEM Cam Caps & Cam Seals
-Re-used OEM oil cap gasket, was less than a year old
-New OEM Valve cover & spark plug tube gaskets, using Ultra Black RTV where specified in the FSM
(If you notice that the pan is missing, it's because I dropped a VC bolt down the head all the way to the pan, and had to take it off to get to the bolt :( )

Re-installed stock rails, loop, and injectors

·
Pay it forward
1,325 Posts
Subscribed...

Man..grinding with no shirt! I have burned holes in my clothes LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! It was probably 110 degrees in the garage at the time, and I was getting angry! :muahaha:

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As requested:

-New OEM 60k Kit (Including new OEM idler pulley)
-New OEM Oil filter housing gasket
-New Earl's adapters installed for oil cooler

Don't worry about how tight the tensioner is set in this pic, I dialed it back once I took a second look at it. Whole lot easier than doing it in the car :lol:

Misc. parts replaced include a new OEM 6 speed shift knob & new OEM Infinity dash tweeter (old one was blown).

Also had the DS A pillar re-sprayed by the best auto paint/body shops in town, can't even tell the difference. :suspect:

Warning: Terrible picture quality below :lol:

-New OEM Exhaust Head to manifold gaskets
-New OEM TD04 exhaust mani to turbo & turbo to pre-cat gaskets
-New OEM oil feed & return lines
-New OEM crush washers for coolant, etc... (also decided to re-route the rear coolant line a little bit :lol:
-New OEM oil return gaskets, used thin layer of Ultra Black RTV on all sides
-"New" TD04 standard wheel 15G turbos
The threads on 1 of the 3 front turbo turbine housings were completely mangled, had to drill it out & replace with a nut & bolt. Was not very happy about that.

-New OEM thermostat kit
-New OEM heater hose nipples

·
Wheee! 2 wheels is fun!
8,814 Posts
Man..grinding with no shirt! I have burned holes in my clothes LOL.
Grinding with no eye protection is the scary part! I hope you cover your eyes next time so you can see the end results of your labor.

Looks like you are having fun and doing it well. Keep it up!

-SP

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! I was sweating so much I couldn't keep those plastic safety glasses on my face. :lol:

Not pictured - New OEM primary O2 sensors
-New OEM PCV lines

Fidanza flywheel with new faceplate:

New XTD "Stage 4"

Transmission bolted up:

In! (via a set of new Maximal solid mounts):

1 - 20 of 77 Posts