Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying to modify my car (Black 97 VR4) as cheaply as possible. So far I have installed an K&N FIPK as well as an Autometer boost pod and 30 psi guage and an HKS [email protected] I am Gutting out my cat and precats this weekend, and plan on using my christmas bonus to add a stillen Downpipe and custom cat back. That should get me to bpu level without much cash at all. What other mods can I do to get large performance gains without the huge expense of a turbo upgrade??

·
Registered
261 Posts
well,

you can get an udp, a ebc would be better than the manual one, an arc2 or vpc to get rid of the restrictive mas, extrude hone some parts, etc.
this is all if you want to stay with the stock turbos.
my brain is fried though at the moment, so thats all i can think of right now...damn being at work for 10 hrs...grrrr

cheers,

·
Registered
580 Posts
id say cams cuz they're not so so expensive and they do a lot...
sum weight reduction does a lot and u have many cheap choices but aslso some expensive ones like:
-remove spare tire and tools
-take out back seats
-lighter rims + tires(does a lot!)
for example my factory stealth mags weigh 52lbs each
u can get light inexpensive mags that weigh as little as 32 pounds each so that would save u like 80lbs~!
hmmmm u can also get a better fuel system to allow higher boost
cuz our system cant give our turbos enough fuel at high boost
so that would give you some power too
a walbro pump is like around 130$ then sum fuel lines and bigger injectors like 550cc,fuel lines/rails
hmmm what else??? maybe a blower...maybe an under drive pulley...
well i hope this helped a bit
but it pretty much gets expensive from here

·
Registered
580 Posts
also for weight reduction

ill give u a better list
-lighter rims + tires
-remove spare tire and tools
-remove a/c
-remove active aero
-remove active exaust
-carbon fiber body
-carbon fiber drive shaft
-get light weight seats
-remove srs
-get light weight flywheel
-remove rear seats
-get lighter steering wheel
-remove ecs
so it all depends how extreme u want to go...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Supra fuel pump(used one for sale right now in classifieds), Buschur racing 450cc injectors(about 190.00 for 6 flowtested from their site)and an SAFC fuel controller(a little over $300 new, a little less than that used)available from various sites. Probably an SMC alcohol injection kit(check classifieds again for group buy).
These mods will allow you to wind the boost up to 17-18 psi and something around 450 crank hp. This same setup should also work if your were to upgrade to 13g turbos.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry, but i think you'll pretty much be done with "big gains" for cheap. After that, you need a fuel system and bigger turbos for substantial power increases.

Supra fuel pump(used one for sale right now in classifieds), Buschur racing 450cc injectors(about 190.00 for 6 flowtested from their site)and an SAFC fuel controller(a little over $300 new, a little less than that used)available from various sites. Probably an SMC alcohol injection kit(check classifieds again for group buy).
These mods will allow you to wind the boost up to 17-18 psi and something around 450 crank hp. This same setup should also work if your were to upgrade to 13g turbos.
Good advice, especially if you go with bigger turbos. But, I personally don't believe you can achieve 450 hp on stock turbos and motor (without n2o). Considering the stock turbos are struggling just to flow 11-12 psi of hot air at 5000+ rpm (where peak hp occurs), you are not going to make much more peak power than stock.

Save up for turbos!!! And besides, isn't the car fast enough for you already?

·
Registered
580 Posts
its fast but i still want faster!
just like anyone here

·
Registered
282 Posts
hey tenz

i beg do differ buddy my car flys on stock turbos.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hmm, well i suppose i could be wrong ;) If i'm not mistaken, you may have the fastest 9b powered 3s around. I've never heard of one breaking 11's. My statement about not being able to achieve 450 hp was based on the fact that very few people trap above 107-109 mph. I noticed you have a extrude honed intake manifold, that's one i haven't seen before, that could help. (btw, i don't consider race fuel and/or alkie/water injection for this) How much boost does your gauge read from 5-7k rpm? Congrats on tuning your car very well to pull off that time!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
The stock turbo's are crap (bless MHI, they make good turbos, just not the 9b's). If you're looking for horsepower below 400 horse I mean. At 18psi (I think that's the max you can push them to) they're wheezing to pump air into the engine. Best way to make your car faster is to increase boost and maximize exhaust flow. I'd suggest a 3" turbo to tip exhaust (you can usually get it done at a muffler shop for under $500), get an EBC (more convienient and more reliable) alcohol, supra pump (I can occasionally get them for $180 (tax and shipping included) but I'm not sure about right now, the parts guys at my work might be getting a little suspicious as I just ordered four of them) and then crank the boost up to around 18psi. (keep an eye on your Air/Fuel mixture though, the stock injectors might be crapping out on you with that much boost) That should net you roughly 410-450hp at the crank.
My two cents.

·
Registered
177 Posts
hey man, i hear u, i just forked out alot of money for my tt, but for some reason i want more power, i bought a pod, guage, saving for an apexi boost controler, and then im gonna put a head unit it for music cause the sound sucks, this is without a job, when i start working again in april i plan on getting exhust, precats down, dp, etc, then short shifter, fuel pump, injectors, and rims(cheap used ones pref. 5 spoke off ebay) though i may not do some of those and save for a used honda cbr, got to think things over
brice(ramble on-led zep)

·
2,243 Posts
I broke 11's with stock turbos without nitrous.

·
Registered
282 Posts
11's

i havent updated my sig in a while but everybody at the philly gathering saw my slips so wheres yours

·
2,243 Posts
I sent them in about a month ago, but I haven't been home in about a month. An MSD HO just has a higher output than a regular MSD

·
VA Turbo
1,264 Posts
TenshiVR4 where is my Supra fuel pump?

·
Registered
11 Posts
fastest stock turbo vr4

i have no idea what the fastest time is for a stock turboed vr4, but i have heard of someone going like 11.20 or so from aam.
my car went 11.91 @ 118.6mph with only these mods:
intake, atr dp & exhaust (no cats), apex'i avc-r, apex'i super afc, act clutch, egr block off plates, no nitrous.

·
Registered
282 Posts
proof

ecm i would like to see that run i believe big bad vr4 would back me up that your trap speed sounds a little high for a stock turboed car but if you did please post your slip cause im interested.

·
Registered
349 Posts
holy hell, 118 mph trap? Uh....now i've heard it all! There must be a dozen or more cars with nearly identical mods, and most of them are doing good to hit 12.9, much less 11.9 @ 118! You must have one hell of a strong car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
someone cant remember his name
but he did 1/4mile in 13.09 in his stock tt just used 94 octane gas
but he's a damn good driver!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts