Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Massive boy build

27K views 200 replies 28 participants last post by  Marshall Taylor 
#1 ·
So it's been a very long time since I have been talking about my build but no news or anything out of it. The reason is because I didn't want to go with off the shelf parts and had to do many customer parts that took a long time to get done. It's still not 100% done but it's mostly there besides piping and putting the engine together. I have been thinking how I can get rid of turbo lag on big turbos cars like ours specially with 5 speed. I have been thinking to add a supercharger with a clutch that would only works at lower rpms and I bought a 10 inch pulley that had a difficult time making it fit. Couldn't fit on over the damper since it would hit the frame so I had to test fit and machine it many time to make it fit on the inside to replace the ps pulley. The supercharger was going to be where ac compressor used to be, but that plan will be scrap and will go with a quick spool valve that I saw on Bugatti Chiron. I also was tired of crappy intake manifold so I did many different mods to have a short ram intake while making injectors fit. Brian's idea on fuel rail is the most convenient setup but I wanted to have the injectors to spray in to the intake ports. A Cosworth 370z fuel rail fixed that. I even bought 370z fuel rails and machine them to fit under the tank but I decided to scrap that too since I was not sure on their fuel flow capability. Shit ton of money was wasted. I wish I could do fabrication and machining. It would have saved me thousands of dollars. Now for a few pictures.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Only DMC can answer that question, however, if your first name isn't Eric most likely it's going to take too long.

Marshall

#8 ·
Have you heard of nitrous? ;) Its the answer you seek.

Reactions: Guardians3000GT
#10 ·
Then like, many 3S owners, you actually seek a big cube v8. your quick spool valve isn't going to be dramatic and also does nothing off boost.

I'll probably have an electric motor in my car before you finish;)...actually there you go. instant tq. motor swap

#12 ·
Lag is seriously overrated. Get that out of your head. If your moving then boost happens pretty quick, even with big turbos. Don’t spent so much time and money trying to make something happen that really isn’t gonna.

But yeah nitrous is the key you need if you wanna fix the issue real life.

Coop

#14 ·
but it doesn't change off boost tq AT ALL....you still have a small displacement, cammed and short runner intake car. And the spool valves only changes the boost threshold modestly. You will be disappointed if you are expecting magic.

#21 ·
So, Comp? Other than a few outliers, typically turds.

#23 ·
isn't the comp 65, the old turbonetics turbine? no way in hell that's making more than the gen2 pte 66mm stuff. Not trying to dog it, it's just that you are band-aiding poor turbo choice with complexity that will likely end up no better than picking smaller, better performing turbos to begin with. REALISTICALLY, how much power do you want to make and you WILL turn it up to?

#25 ·
I didn't say they make more power. I don't think any turbo makes more power for their size than pte. I said they spool faster since the exhaust wheel are a bit smaller. People seem to be happy with them though. 1200 should be good. Maybe 1300 if bearings stayed healthy.

#24 ·
It seems like every iteration of your build you try to make a car that's already a pain in the ass to work on, even more complex. You should try to simplify and make life easier on yourself for once. :)

I have a single turbo setup now, its a lot more complex than my twin 16g setup was, I did it solely for the sound. But as far as simplicity goes and overall balance, its hard to beat a well sorted 16g setup for the 6g72, the car was a breeze to maintain and it performed great. Whats the fastest whp 3000GT you have been in? And why are you wanting a 4 digit hp number? Massive boy builds require lots of upkeep, extensive data-logging and seasonal mild-tear downs to perform in tip top shape.

#26 ·
It's not that complicated man. Just a flap door before the rear turbo and a small diameter pipe to mate both front and rear turbos. Turbo spool should be similar to a 16g vr4.
That's the reason I'm not going the same direction as everyone else. Why deal with fixing constantly when you can make it more reliable. I think if I get 2-3 years out of the engine I'm happy with my goals. I won't go full power all the time. Most of the time will be in 700s.

#27 ·
I think it is great that you are trying new things, but Eric is right......I think the best idea for what you really want may be a full car upgrade to something with more displacement. It may sound too easy, but the enjoyment you get from actually being able to drive is well worth it. sorry if this doesn't help much, but it is very much the truth.

#29 ·
Why 12-1300? Just a random number you came up with or needed for a different goal? Regardless, smaller turbos will hit that. ;)

Build has been going so long I can’t remember the crank, If stock based, 2-3 years at even 700 is a stretch if it’s going to be driven hard. Billet crank is pretty much a necessity for what you are talking about for power. Unfortunately, Oil mods don’t fix a wet noodle with tq and/or rpm.

Am curious to see your single to twin setup. Rather see it in some good 58-60mm which would still hit the goal if you have good heads cam and intake.

#30 ·
I have a billet crank. Goal is to put 3s on the map like how Brian is doing. I used to have a bike so I am used to fast acceleration vehicles. It's not like I have never been on a fast vehicle before. I think the fastest 3s was Bill's vr4 in St Louis which he was making around 600 to 700 hp. I just don't want a fast car. That can be done by going to domestic or other proven platforms. I want a fast 3s and unlike others who go different route, I've tried to find solutions for the problems like other platform have already done before. Just imagine if people didn't have sleeving for their aluminum blocks. Can you imagine how many platform would be out of the game? Now people even do Billet Blocks.

#31 ·
Well with billet crank, smaller better turbos, your sequential style deal AND spray it. All the transmission/tcase breaking, big-block, tq that you seek. Seriously though,,,,nitrous. One hit and you are hooked. It’s a disease. Not a choice.

#34 ·