Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
The dark shall be with us
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a very long time since I have been talking about my build but no news or anything out of it. The reason is because I didn't want to go with off the shelf parts and had to do many customer parts that took a long time to get done. It's still not 100% done but it's mostly there besides piping and putting the engine together. I have been thinking how I can get rid of turbo lag on big turbos cars like ours specially with 5 speed. I have been thinking to add a supercharger with a clutch that would only works at lower rpms and I bought a 10 inch pulley that had a difficult time making it fit. Couldn't fit on over the damper since it would hit the frame so I had to test fit and machine it many time to make it fit on the inside to replace the ps pulley. The supercharger was going to be where ac compressor used to be, but that plan will be scrap and will go with a quick spool valve that I saw on Bugatti Chiron. I also was tired of crappy intake manifold so I did many different mods to have a short ram intake while making injectors fit. Brian's idea on fuel rail is the most convenient setup but I wanted to have the injectors to spray in to the intake ports. A Cosworth 370z fuel rail fixed that. I even bought 370z fuel rails and machine them to fit under the tank but I decided to scrap that too since I was not sure on their fuel flow capability. Shit ton of money was wasted. I wish I could do fabrication and machining. It would have saved me thousands of dollars. Now for a few pictures.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Marshall Taylor
1,112 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask the completion date of the massive boy build..:D
Only DMC can answer that question, however, if your first name isn't Eric most likely it's going to take too long.

Marshall

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,304 Posts
Have you heard of nitrous? ;) Its the answer you seek.

·
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That doesn't solve the drivability. I want to have a good throttle response. Short ram intake, big turbos and 5 speed and heavy car all together means sluggishness when off boost.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,304 Posts
Then like, many 3S owners, you actually seek a big cube v8. your quick spool valve isn't going to be dramatic and also does nothing off boost.

I'll probably have an electric motor in my car before you finish;)...actually there you go. instant tq. motor swap

·
Premium Member
17,963 Posts
Lag is seriously overrated. Get that out of your head. If your moving then boost happens pretty quick, even with big turbos. Don’t spent so much time and money trying to make something happen that really isn’t gonna.

But yeah nitrous is the key you need if you wanna fix the issue real life.

Coop

·
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lag is a big problem with two 6465 turbos. Full boost at 6k rpm according to the vr4 from PR. Mine could be better since runners are shorter but how much better is unknown. My idea is simple. Just have to modify the manifolds.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,304 Posts
but it doesn't change off boost tq AT ALL....you still have a small displacement, cammed and short runner intake car. And the spool valves only changes the boost threshold modestly. You will be disappointed if you are expecting magic.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Lag is a big problem with two 6465 turbos. Full boost at 6k rpm according to the vr4 from PR. Mine could be better since runners are shorter but how much better is unknown. My idea is simple. Just have to modify the manifolds.

What hotside a/r? Anything less than .82 with turbos that size and you should run a smaller turbo. I’ve seen numerous 68/62mm gt35r turbine setups make 650-700 through a .63 housing.

·
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
but it doesn't change off boost tq AT ALL....you still have a small displacement, cammed and short runner intake car. And the spool valves only changes the boost threshold modestly. You will be disappointed if you are expecting magic.
The engine will run on one turbo only till 7-10 psi then it'll be twins.

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,304 Posts
The engine will run on one turbo only till 7-10 psi then it'll be twins.

That’ll help, is interesting and fits the complexity of your build. but a good 64mm turbo (6466) is still a 8-900awhp turbo. Still not going to light the world on fire with single and still doesn’t change your off Boost power which you specifically mentioned. ;). That’s only done with cam, intake and displacement. (But I’ll drop it.)

Are you planning on 1600+ awhp? If not, I’d get smaller turbos.

And back to the “good 64mm”... 6465 sounds like Comp, if so, I’d get different turbos if you want performance. Other than a very few outliers, Comp doesn’t even come close to PTE for spool and power. If they are Comp, you could go smaller PTE or garrett, spool better and make more power.

·
7,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6465 spool sooner than 6466. Don't know about power. Maybe pt improved but back then the difference was not much. The pr guy made a bit under 1200 with his running well over 40 psi. It seems one turbo is more efficient than 2.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts