Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting ready to do a batch of manual racks

Price is $400.00 Shipped plus your core. There is no minium or maxium number of people needed.

I need your rack in my hands by 3/1 to begin the conversion. If everyone makes this deadline, racks will be returned shipped by 3/15 (two weeks to complete the conversion on all racks).

Payment is due on 3/1 however I can have some flexiblity. With no exceptions full payment is due by 3/15, when the racks ship out to you the customer.

This is a true manual rack conversion. The rack is disassembled, cleaned, converted to a manual rack painted. New tie-rod ends are installed and included in the price.

This mod is for anyone who wants the improved steering feel of a manual rack without the slowness of the factory manual rack. It also gives you the benefit of never getting ahead of the power steering during hard driving. As an additional benefit, this will get rid of a fair bit of weight off the front of the car and free up a lot of space in the engine compartment. Finally, in my view, the absolute best part of this is that it’ll help you improve on the weakest part of your car’s performance, the driver.

Of course all these things take secondary consideration when installing a manual rack on a street car. Very low speed turning (as in a parking lots) will be compromised the most. My personal opinion daily driving will have slightly more effort but still manageable for daily use. Around 20 to 30 MPH and up the steering effort is close to an assisted rack, however feedback through the steering wheel is very much improved.

Experiments were done with a disconnecting power steering pulley, then looped lines. The real manual conversion far and away had better feel and less force required. What I mean by real is that this is a full conversion to a manual steering system, not just a power steering pump by-pass. AND MAKE NO MISTAKE, they are totally different in feel and mechanics. Don't think by bypassing your pump or removing the ps belt that you can try the FEEL of no ps and see if you like it, ITS NOT THE SAME FEEL as having a manual rack. Do some searches on other platforms, I am not saying anything new here, just reiterating it so that you understand that what I did was the full manual conversion...not the pump bypass mod.

Certainly, converting to a full manual rack is not for everyone. But for those who wish to convert I personally believe this is the best option. From 0-5 mph it really sucks to try to turn, especially with massive 10 inch wide sticky R componund track slicks on :) but from 20mph to 160 mph, it is just awesome.

Clint F (Struggy) was my un-biased test bed (You guys know I love my rack). Here is what he had to say after his first road race with the manual rack conversion:
As for the car, it did pretty well I thought. All concerns I had about the manual rack and 275s are gone. The thing is wonderful on track, in my opinion. My arms are a touch sore, but at no point did I struggle, find it vague, or wish for power steering.
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=373647

Full Review:
http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=370865

paypal: [email protected]

Ship core to:
Black Flag Racing
3080 Brittany Circle
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411
Thanks for looking,

Jon

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Before the conversion

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the conversion:

The After (this is the same rack pictured above, just converted to be full manual):

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power and manual racks side by side

Another view

The rack installed

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I updated paypal and the adress to ship the core to in the first post. FWD rack is at the same price.

·
Car is wrong wheel drive
2,764 Posts
How much are the racks not during a group buy?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not decided yet. Currently only two exist: mine, and Struggly's.

Struggly rack since he was my tester he's was at my cost to produce. This is the first time I have attempted to sell these really.

*If I sell these past this group buy I would guess the price to be closer to $450 shipped.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Jon - was hoping to check this out on your car this summer, but may decide to jump in on this GB. What is the turn around time on this? Are you sending the whole batch at one time to your vendor, or turning them around as people send them to you?

Oskar

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oskar, to anwer your questions:

1. 3 weeks is the normal turn around time to complete a rack.
2. I am will be converting the whole group of racks at the same time to keep the cost down. This will involve some co-ordination to make sure everyone gets there rack to me in a sane time frame.

If this is for your stripped track car, I would do it. There really is no good way to describe how different the road feel is. You can literally feel everything the wheels are doing since it is a direct mechanical linkage. I was a bit skeptical myself when I did this mod (mostly out of curiousity, as some of the NASA guys are running no pwr steering). However, in the end I was really impressed with the end results and how managable it really is. In the in end it is a drivablity trade-off however that each person must decide on their own. I'm hoping as more people experience no-pwr steering it will become a more hardcore modification.

To bad it's the dead of winter. I let you take the blue car out for a spin to see how it feels. Of course spring is right around the corner....

·
og
4,293 Posts
i hate the loss of power steering i experience through chicanes. however, i put a new rack in my car less than a year ago :(

mebbe i can get a cheap core somewheres and get in on this, at least have one around for when the new one starts to leak, as they always seem to do :rolleyes:

btw, great group buy, thanks mang :beer:

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW most 3/S part out's sell a used rack for around $75 shipped.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Lethal, how much would it cost to ship a rack to the UK? I'm thinking that a US breaker rack sent directly to you, converted, then shipped to the UK would work out cheaper than me sending a rack to you, as UK international shipping prices are crazy! If you can get some prices then I'm probably in!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lethal, how much would it cost to ship a rack to the UK? I'm thinking that a US breaker rack sent directly to you, converted, then shipped to the UK would work out cheaper than me sending a rack to you, as UK international shipping prices are crazy! If you can get some prices then I'm probably in!
Steve,

I believe buying a used rack in the U.S.A. would probably equal your shipping charges. PM you address and I can look into shipping charges.

·
Row faster!
662 Posts
Should we send payment/rack on the 4th or is whenever we can get them out good? Because I don't need my rack for a couple months yet, so I don't mind waiting a little longer.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify: This might be the one and only group buy on these racks, depending on how sucessfull this one is.

I'll need full payment by the time everyone's rack's arrive here in Iowa, which I have not set a deadline for.. but will probably be 3/1/2007 to allow people time to pull the racks. That way I can support a completed ship out date to the customers of 3/15/2007.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
damn this started a litle sooner than i thought.. hopefuly i start the new job this week and can take advantage of this.. course its kinda cold in NE to pull a rack right now..

·
Car is wrong wheel drive
2,764 Posts
so the money and the rack will be do on march 1st?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts