Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the price at Walmart you cannot complain. But are they safe(manual bleeder valve) and how can I regulate the psi so I do not cook my engine? Or is it safer and easier to go with the Blitz DSBC for $419. Just would rather spend the $ if the manual bleeder valve is not that safe. But always like saving $, just not at my engines expense. Thanks for your input!!!!!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I wouldn't trust it. They are not precision enough. You can get good manual boost controllers for about $100 I believe. I've read posts that said they had good luck with them. I tried the old wal-mart valve, not very consistent, constantly tinkering with it. I now have an HKS EVC IV, but not connected now.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have the hks evc ez...I am selling it for $300 including shipping...e-mail me at [email protected] if you are interested...Good spool up but must sell cuz need the hks evc 4 with the learn mode...cuz of 13G upgrade very soon!

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
From other posts I have read, and my personal experience I would say go with a Hallman Manual boost controller, or an EBC. The bleeder valve will have many problems (and not just because it is made out of cheap brass and could leak). My biggest beef about a MBC (I have the XBC right now) is that they are dependent on external variables (ie. barometric pressure, elevation, air temp, humidity, etc). Basically what this means is that if you tune in the MBC one day, you will get different results the next day. Depending on how drastic the change is in the external variables this could be very drastic and damaging to your engine. An example, I tuned the XBC in to 15psi, it took me about 5 runs to do. The next day I went to WOT and saw my boost guage hit 20psi and poof .. off with the y-pipe.

In short, my suggestion is, you get what you pay for. I am replacing my XBC with the Apexi S-AVC-R. After trying to tune the XBC it was an easy decision to make.

Mark
'93 RT TT

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been running with the bleeder valve setup boosting at 15psi since September this year. So far boost has remained the same and have not experienced any kind of failures.

Of course this is just me... I do boost my car from time to time.

This is what you should do...buy the bleeder valve, set it at around 13/14psi and run it for awhile.. just make sure you boost it low...if all goes well adjust higher later... Make sure you keep your eyes on the boost gauge to see any sporadic changes. It's only a $2.00 setup!

If it doesn't work for you then get the more expensive setup. Go to my site I have the bleeder valve setup there...

Good luck!
http://www.msu.edu/user/nguyenn

Phil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts