Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know alot of people that I speak to always wishes for one of these manifolds to be made...
If any one is interested, state your interest and if you will purchase one...

Chris I sent you a PM on this subject and can provide you with some pics or one that I had made but was not successful when I tried installing it...
Also Chris if you can get one made for me I can install it and go to Ray P. for dyno results so we can get some proven #'s....
As some people know my car made 631AWHP....

Thanks everybody...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
hey man. i pmed you.

as for the plenum we are working on a completely new intake. it will have a better surge tank and offer shorter runners for easy access to the rear spark plugs. it should be done in a couple weeks. ill be sure to post up info when its all good and done.

and if anyone is interested in our original plenum please let me know. i still have one left sitting on the shelf. ill let it go for a nice price of $550 shipped.

thanks a lot,
chris

·
DFW Clutch Hydraulic Prof
2,032 Posts
What I'm looking for is more or less just a large "bubble" that will sit atop the lower intake manifold. I believe it was AAM that made something like it years ago. Since I don't have any pictures, just imagine a large oval shape, flanged to match the lower intake manifold, large enough to hold a good amount of air, but not so obtrusive as to block you from getting the lower manifold nuts (as I believe the two were welded together ultimately).

Something like that should be pretty cheap as its not very complex. Offer a variety of vacuum ports for different costs, and those of us (me) that want a driver's throttle body could just flip it the other direction and weld it in place. BAM.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
yeah actually i remember that plenum. i saw it in person a few years back at a national gathering. (they were running my strut bars on the track cars) :D

while ares wont be like that one per say, it will be sorta similar. that plenum if i remember right, required a hole in the hood for clearance.

·
2,032 Posts
Well the hard part about building one that will allow access to the rear plugs, is that either: a) it will hit the rear valve cover, or b) you will have to cut the hood for clearance.

That's why I suggested the "bubble," as I'm sure it could be designed in such a way that hood cutting wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the hard part about building one that will allow access to the rear plugs, is that either: a) it will hit the rear valve cover, or b) you will have to cut the hood for clearance.

That's why I suggested the "bubble," as I'm sure it could be designed in such a way that hood cutting wasn't necessary.
Thats not true...
Matt M. has a nice one that he sent me pics and its just like a stock manifold with shorter runners, with a round surge tank and has access to the rear plugs...The only thing that he did was modify the IC pipe going to the TB....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Definitely interested in this. Will wait for info and pricing. Hell, I could even pick one up in person. Plan on using the stock throttle body or require a different one?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
we arent looking to cut the hood in any and our plenum will be using the stock TB just due to fact that its what most people use. however for anyone that wants one. it can be tailored for a larger TB.

also keep in mind that with a custom short plenum like this, everything intake or intercooler pipe related will need to be modified to fit. your stock stuff will not work anymore.

·
Registered
626 Posts
i am VERY VERY interested in a drivers side throttle body plenum with runners that are a ton shorter. pretty much a surge tank on top of the lower intake mani with a driver throttle body would be my dream!

·
Wheels In Hand...
2,661 Posts
How far out is something like this?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
well weve already worked up the design that we want. and we just got the tubes and everything in the other day. so we will start making the first working plenum pretty soon. id say probably 2-3 weeks or so.

·
Thermal Design Engineer
1,860 Posts
Make sure you dyno the plenum, before and after, I think more people will jump on it then.
This is PIVITAL. I've seen "rear plug access" plenums bite the dust before because people were too lazy to dyno them. :(

·
2,032 Posts
Make sure you dyno the plenum, before and after, I think more people will jump on it then.
Quoted for truth. GTPro's manifold is notorious for this. Looked great. Costed like $1k, but absolutely no one bought it because it was never proven!

-Brian

·
Registered
626 Posts
either that or work up an agreement with someone to dyno it for yah especially the driver side throttle body plenum *cough* *cough*

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
im up for a dyno session as well in case leonel or anyone else cant do it. im still using a completly stock longblock, but im sure youd still get some results to tell the effects.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im up for a dyno session as well in case leonel or anyone else cant do it. im still using a completly stock longblock, but im sure youd still get some results to tell the effects.
Servidjo your deff. a good candidate for this test, especially Ray tunning the car. I just spun a bearing two nights ago preping my car for a steet race, to make sure everything was OK ( guess it wasnt, after two years of beating on it at 35 PSI almost all the time , it was time to GO)...

Im still very interested in one, for my new project....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
when we get the plenum done we will work out how to get it dynoed. might offer a program of $50 off for anyone that produces dyno numbers or something like that.

but we will figure it out when everythign gets done.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Servidjo your deff. a good candidate for this test, especially Ray tunning the car. I just spun a bearing two nights ago preping my car for a steet race, to make sure everything was OK ( guess it wasnt, after two years of beating on it at 35 PSI almost all the time , it was time to GO)...

Im still very interested in one, for my new project....
bummer man.. sorry to hear about the car. youre right, 2 years @ 35psi probably finally caught up to it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bummer man.. sorry to hear about the car. youre right, 2 years @ 35psi probably finally caught up to it.
Only made me happy, time for improvement...

BTW: Rays dyno is in Hillside NJ, Shawn Ivy bought it...He does Evos and STIs

1 - 20 of 206 Posts