Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve got this 1991 3k and I’m not that familiar with the car.
The problem I’ve been having is that it only runs on 4 or 5 cylinders even after I replaced the coils and wires. I’m 98% sure I plugged the wires in correctly but I even went ahead and got an obd1 tester, error code 53 (ignition coils 3 & 6 at fault). I’ve had someone tell me it seems to be the condenser or transistor before but I’m just not really sure how these cars work

·
Registered
1991 VR4
902 Posts

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts
Word of caution: DO NOT buy a cheap PTU off Ebay.
Numerous members have had them arrive not working or fail shortly after install.
New ARE expensive, but if do a little hunting in the Parts For Sale (like guys doing part outs), a good used one is 5x better then an EGAY one.

Just my .02

Bob.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,728 Posts

BUT, I re-itterate, try to find a used one in the Parts for sale section. Most guys will let them go fairly cheaply.

This seller (name is Patrick) has worked with me on lots of parts, always fair and always FAST 91 stealth RT TT part out!!! 100k miles

This seller (name is James) has also helped me out. Great to work with.. Aftermarket and OEM parts... Some rare parts in here...

Just post up in both of those threads, I guarantee they will reply, whether they have the part or not...

Bob.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
902 Posts

This look about right?
Also would you happen to know if there is any way i would be able to test if this is really the problem before i go ahead and drop 250$?
Yes, you can bench test it. Its fairly easy to remove and test. Check stealth316 as i am pretty sure the instructions are there. You just need a multimeter IIRC. Note you need to remove it when the problem is there and CEL is on to get a accurate test. The PTU can fail intermittently, and if you pull it when its working fine, it will bench test fine.

·
Registered
1991 VR4
902 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts