Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
UK 98 3000GT TT
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Man 9b turbos suck! or should i say smoke!

There was me driving fast, like I should ;) when i start to see smock coming from my car!

I manage to get the car home, get out and the smocking has stopped and the car is running ok.

Put my foot on the gas and ******-blue smock comes out!

I was thinking Noooooooooooo!!
I must of messed up one of the pistons!

I then start to take off the piping off around the turbos and notes that there is oil all around the inside of the piping for the back turbo!!

So now the cars parked up and needs a new back turbo and I have no car :/

Time for bigger turbos I think!

It sucks because I always run the car for 2 mins before I shut it off to cool the turbos, guess that didn’t help

V

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car man.But hey,look at the bright side:
You will have a VR-4 with bigger turbos in it.Nice huh...?You made
me jealous now....:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
the rear turbo.

Hi M PRO ,it seams that you are not the only one that need a rear turbo.
i needed one too from the moment that i buy the car,it seams that since the rear turbo do not take as mutch cooling air as the front one and thats wy they blow first.good thing that i had order the 13G's from Matt at DYnamic Racing and i have just change them .
Is it easy to get spare parts from the U.K.?
By the way your car looks good.
Yiannis Ioannou,CYPRUS.

·
UK 98 3000GT TT
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it may off started when I had my car overheat about 4 days ago, :(
Man thermostats also suck ;)

·
perpetual college student
3,903 Posts
smock LMAO

on my car, it was the rear turbo that went out too :(

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Mine the front was much worse than the rear - but both were bad - Rear 3/8" lateral movement of turbine wheel, Rear 1/4" :eek: (putting your finger on the center of the turbine wheel and seeing how much side-to-side up-and-down movement the turbine wheel has)

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Are you sure your problem is the rear turbo? Where exactly did you see oil? Perhaps you are getting excessive blowby from failed piston/rings and your blowing oil into the rear turbo intake hose (between filter and rear turbo). If the oil is only found downstream the turbo than your diagnosis is likely correct.

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
that sucks man, at least you can get new ones now :)

I do believe that turbo timers are a fad and do not extend turbo life. I NEVER let my old turbos cool down. When I sold them they had 163k miles on them with no play in the shaft.

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
"I never let my old turbos cool down" --- and then you <i>SOLD</i> them with 163k miles on them? What idiot bought them???

Cooldown time does not affect the turbos directly. It affects the oil. Conventional oil will cake on the turbos and WILL cause their demise (I can provide pics of exactly what happens and where). Synthetic oils turn to ash instead of sludge so they won't hurt anything - that may be how yours have been ok.

I still can't imagine any sane person wanting a pair of 163k-mile-old turbos for free, much less <i>paying</i> for the privledge of their ownership.

·
UK 98 3000GT TT
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Joe G. said:
Are you sure your problem is the rear turbo? Where exactly did you see oil? Perhaps you are getting excessive blowby from failed piston/rings and your blowing oil into the rear turbo intake hose (between filter and rear turbo). If the oil is only found downstream the turbo than your diagnosis is likely correct.

About 2 weeks ago I did a compression check on the car and she had 155psi on each cylinder.

As for oil it was all over the back turbo, in the intercooler pipes and in the air intake pipes for the back turbo. The front turbo was clean.

After getting home I checked the oil level in the car, and there was no oil in her!
She was empty! Good job I was only down the road from home or I would be after a new engine now.

I’m assuming that if all the oil goes that quickly then its got to be the back turbo as I cant see a failed piston rings letting that much oil out that quickly?

And when I got home the car was running great, apart from the smoke ;)
There was no noses at all, not even a lifter tick.

I’m a right in thinking that it’s the back turbo? The piston rings can’t of gone that quickly?

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
There was nothing wrong with my turbos and I sold them for a good price to a member on this board! All my personal experiences have led me to believe a turbo timer is a waste of $$. If I want to cool down my turbo I will drive slow for 3 minutes before I get to my destination. Also, I think its a bad idea to let our cars idle with the low oil pressure.

Thats just my take on it, someone who has blown 2 engines from low pressure but have never blown a turbo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts