Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about making some videos of street races, rally races, canyons runs, that kind of stuff. I am interested in getting a camera set-up for my car. I would want a laptop, that can handle up to 4 video feeds. I am thinking of having a headrest mount, front air dam mount, and camera mounts behind one or both wheel wells, all facing forward. I realize these will need to be durable, in case as rocks hitting them.

Does anyone have any ideas what type of laptop would work for this, what cameras would work best, or what software would be best? As well as a price estimate?

And advice would help...

Thanx.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
i would guess you would have to get one of those boxes that combine 4 inputs into one and then get a pcmcia capture card or usb/firewire video capture device

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
but you'd only be able to capture one feed at a time...

It's going to cost you... my idea...

Best quality.. DV camera for each angle....find a notebook with like 2 firewire ports built in then add a PC card with another or 2 ports.

Or you could go much cheaper by doing analog video to a small computer system with multiple capture cards...

Or you could settle for one feed at a time.

Whats it gonna be?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i thought i was computer literate, until right now. i, kinda, have no idea what you just said. Sorry, what's DV camera? who makes them? and I would like to stick with digital, as opposed to analog.

Any ideas of who makes a good notebook that would support this? Mac, HP, Dell, etc...

·
mmm.. caffeine
3,868 Posts
DV = Digital Video :)

Some older Sony notebooks probably have multiple firewire ports.

Also maybe some Macs. One of the G4 powerbooks or something.

Or any new system should have at least 1 port.

Wonder if they make firewire hubs? That would solve your problem.

Your gonna have some money in the cameras though.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm fine with spending the cash, as long as it's worth it. I guess my biggest question is would i be able to find little cameras, that would be durable, that I could mount on the body of my car without having to screw, or damage the panels. i thinking like strong suction or something like that. Any ideas?

·
The Blank Man
1,161 Posts
i would go to a speciality shop to get a true estimate

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Why has no one picked up on this?

Just get 4 digital cameras that have the capeability of recording on DV tape and record the races, THEN pump them one by one into and computer that has a Firewire port (any relatively new sony or Mac) and edit them together... You can splace and cut and paste clips wherever you want. There's no need to have 4 inputs on a computer for you to get all the footage. Just do it one at a time.
I have some INCREDIBLE video editing software if you need some down the road, good luck.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so i can use 4 separate camera, download the video onto my computer and finalize it there. But any idea where I can find cameras that would do the trick? I guess I would need on where the lens is outside the car, attached to the panel, and the recording device is inside the car, for safety purposes.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol... I thought he was wanting to view the video live from the car for some reason.

I was, are you saying that isn't safe? no, i'm kidding. I was thinking laptop in the car, to save the videos. but if i can get a camera where I can put the lens outsite and have the recorder inside, that would be perfect. i would need 3 of those and then any regular DV camera for the headrest mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.