Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

MAFT + SAFC2 settings to start car and begin tuning

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  TurboSinceBirth 
#1 ·
First off I'd like to thank the members of this board for all the help I've received so far. Over the winter I've taken a VR4 and added a new set of billet DR650 turbos, 550cc injectors, full exhaust, FMIC, Aeromotive Stealth fuel pump and hotwire, boost control, MAFT, 3.75" MAF, SAFC2, vac reduction, wideband, datalogger, block off plates and I'm sure a few other little things I'm forgetting. With out the help and guidance of the board I never would have gotten it together.

Well now that it's together I'd like some direction in getting it running :D I've searched a number of threads but can't seem to find a solid answer. Am I supposed to be running the MAFT zero'd out and then using the SAFC2 to handle all the tuning or tune what I can with the maft then use the SAFC2 for fine tuning? Assuming option 1 I currently have the MAFT DIP switches set to OFF-ON-OFF-OFF and everything else at zero. Do I also need to set the BASE and AUX knobs to BASE-6 AUX-9 for my injectors? Or leave that alone and let the SAFC2 do all the work.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks again guys.

#6 ·
this. works great.

#3 ·
i had mine 0'd out and used just the safc2...

for 550's you should pull 35% fuel across the board to make the computer "see" stock injectors. the forumla is: 1 - (360/your injector size) = percent of fuel to pull.

start with that and tune from there. you want to be lean rather than rich on your initial start. cylinder wash is not a good thing.

i dont remember all the dip switch combos off the top of my head, but look for the settings and set it all for your maf and injector size, and just leave it zero'd out otherwise and use the safc2

#4 ·
From Ray when I asked:
just set the injector size from the chart. leave the other settings at 0 and use the sfc to tune
PM US FOR DEALS ON PRECISION TURBO!
WE SPECIALIZE IN FAST STREET CARS!
NO JOB TOO LARGE OR TOO SMALL
FIND US ON FB!

#5 ·
thanks guys! I'll give it a shot.

#7 ·
So far I have it running good through the first 3000rpm staying on the lo setting. Haven't yet been in the high throttle position. I'm having an issue when I'm in a gear but off the throttle I go way lean. This also happens when I shift gears. Any thoughts?

#8 ·
When you let off the throttle the injectors stop firing so that is normal.

#9 ·
The BOV recirculating will go lean during shifts also like it was mentioned the injectors stop firing. If you had an open atmosphere you would see rich shifts since metered air gets expelled before it goes into the engine. Just watch your AFR when the car is under load.

#10 ·
Under load so far so good. Tomorrow I'll try and turn up the boost andover some stuff!

#11 · (Edited)
I could create another thread but figured I would try my luck with this one first.

Can anyone please provide some pictures of where the harnesses go and where you placed your MAFT? I just got my package from Pampena and the MAFT does have instructions but I am more photo orientated. I will read the instructions thoroughly once I get off work.

I have:

SAFC II
MAFT 2.02
3" GMAS.
6' Extension Harness.

Should I wait till I get my wideband?

Thanks!

#12 ·
Personally I wouldn't mess with tuning until you have a wideband.

#14 ·
the maft is fine under the hood. tune with the SAFC. google the SAFCii instructions and set it to the injectors you have. then leave the SAFCzeroed out untill you get a wide band. keep the boost LOW untill.. again you have a wide band to tune with.

#15 ·
Okay sound good! I will be ordering a Innovate DB WB today so that should be coming soon. Thanks Mas!

Also, I don't have enough money at the time to get the dejon pre-turbo piping. I was thinking of just using my K&N FIPK with the stock MAF (unplugged) with the stock rubber pre-turbo tubes for the mean time. Do you think the honeycomb in the stock MAF would disrupt anything? If so, I can just buy some sort of adapter.

Thanks.

#16 ·
i used a 3 to 4 inch PCV pipe convertor from lowes. stuck one end in the bubble and bolted the K&N to the other. Good luck

#18 ·
is that true? please explain more

I also have a similiar setup tho my dr650's r the old style and im using meth.

so i just switch them? I feel like id be throwing the safc tuning manuel out the window or do i just tune accordingly.

whats the advantage of having engine load vs rpm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.