Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp, I went to the track today and made 2 runs. I couldn't stay long cause me and my girl had alot of stuff to do before it got too late.

Welp, being my first time to the track to run, I had no freakin clue what I was doing and felt like a complete retard. After circling 2 times, I realized I had to go to these 2 guys standing on the side to allow them to do an inspection and get my car's tracking #. After that I got in line and was up to the line in like 2 minutes with no idea what to do. I pull up and the guy next to the start line was like "Dude, you don't got slicks on, you can't drive through the water like that", so I said sorry and figured it was no big deal. Damn was I wrong! I did a mad burn out through 1st and 2nd gear tires all lit up before I even realized I was like not even moving and ended up with a 17.something run. I was so embaressed!!! Second time up, I knew now not to go through the water and had a chance to let the car down for about 20 minutes.

Since I promised my girl we'd leave after this run, I was really hoping for a decent run and not another major screw-up like the first (which I don't count). :D I pull up and bring the revs to 2500 RPM. At soon as I see the green, I drop the hammer! I think I did great for my first real run! The car is completely stock and I still even had the spare and tools in the trunk. However, the suspension or axle I'm guessing has a major problem were it pulls to the right and has a bad jerking, even after getting a full alignment today before the track. The temperature was right around low to mid 70 degrees on both runs.

My times are as follows :

Reaction : 0.743
I1 : 2.474
I2 : 6.271
I3 : 9.424
I3 (MPH) : 78.527
I4 : 0.0 (What is this?, the other guy had a time, but I didn't)

E.T. : 14.363
MPH : 100.103

What are those I1, I2, I3, and I4 times? I'm guessing I3 is 1/8th time, right?

I was racing a Honda Del-Sol, the guy was hella kewl. But he got smoked with a clock time of 16.702 @ 81.529.

So did I do good? I'm sure I can do much better with practice though. I wanna really run again, but first I need to get this damn steering shaking problem fixed. :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
i dont have those on my slips but guessing i think I1 is 60 foot time and I3 is your 1/8 mile

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Not bad at all for a first run. You can definately get that 60' (I1) time down by a good bit.. keep practicing! :)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
You honestly should be hitting 13.5-13.6s in your '97...

You need to launch at 4500+rpms. :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Very nice for a first run. And I'm no expert, but with a little practice, and after you feel a little more comfortable with everything, you'll be in the 13's.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
Yes, like ruiner said, definately mid 13's. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Welcome to track addicts annonymous. My name is Shawn and I'm addicted to the tree!! Great run for your first time. You'll get better and be in the 13's in no time.

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
brainfood said:
Looks good.... wish I would have seen you... and could have helped you out a little.... that pulling is it only under acceleration in 1st? it sounds like torque steer to me.
Do you really get much torque steer in your VR4? I alwys assumed they never had much for torque steer...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Ditto.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the steering pull is not torque steer, I know all about torque steer from my previous car :)

The steering problem is coming from something in the axle or suspension on the front driver's side area. It causes the steering wheel to jerk and pull to the right even when going 10 MPH. It's not an alignment problem though, had the alignment done yesterday and they had it really straight, it helped to get rid of a little of the shaking, but the problem is definetely still there. I was hopezing to see brainfood and let him drive the car so he could give me his opinion.

Brainfood (BTW, what is your name? Mine is Ed :) ) would you be willing to let me take the car over sometime and you check it out for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
That might be ball joints on the lower control arms. Check those out. Mine was doing that too before I replaced the arms/ball joints.

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JeffWVR4 said:
That might be ball joints on the lower control arms. Check those out. Mine was doing that too before I replaced the arms/ball joints.
JeffWVR4, I heard that from another member with a non-VR4, so I was kinda hoping that wasn't the problem. How much did it cost to repair? Thanks!

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brainfood said:
Hey ed I am Bryan... anytime you want I will check it out... I work tommorow through monday and get off every day at 6.... just tell me when...
Thanks Bryan! I work Friday through Tuesday every week from 3PM till 11:30PM, so would Wednesday or Thursday be good for you? Thanks man, really appreciatte it!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My very first run i ran 15.5 :(

Second got my 60' down from 2.988 to 2.1 and i ran 14.4, then the last time i had 2.0 60' time and i ran 14.1

I still need practice and to get my car fixed. Like they said just keep practicing :)

·
Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fastrnyou said:
I still need practice and to get my car fixed. Like they said just keep practicing :)
I'm with you on both. I need to get a suspension problem fixed and get some more practice in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts