Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know, our automatic trannies do not put alot of power to the wheels, therefore, I have been looking into ways on doing that. I was wondering if anybody has any experiences with the Limited Slip Differential or torque convertor w/ shift kit on their automatic tranny? I am debating on getting either the LSD or torque convertor or getting both?? On a limited budget, I would only get one, so which one would produce the most power to the wheels for the money??

·
Retired
12,235 Posts
yeah, I have experience with my torque converter. It gave me hell trying to mount my tranny back to the block after my rebuild. I hate those things.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Buy and switch to a manual tranny. There's a reason they call `em slush boxes. :D

LSD sounds good, but it's not going to put anymore power to the ground if your auto is still in-efficent and robs better then 15% of the engine hp. It will only give you better traction.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. Is there anyone else who hasd any experiences with the LSD or torque convertor? I understand that the best performance mod I can add is a manual tranny, which should shave a full second on the 1/4 mile. I would like to keep the auto tranny and beef that up a bit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
the cheapest and easy one would first be the shift kit. After that I would to a tq converter because ours only go up to like 2800 rpm if you had a higher one you could do a breakstand launch at 3500 to 4000 rpm and get much better take offs.

·
Registered
248 Posts
whats and LSD ?
when you guys are launching in the auto do you mean putting one foot on the brake then putting foot on accelerator till
you get to a certain rpm?
if thats the case whats this stall device do ?
oh yeah whats a torque convertor?

any help would help.:D

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ILanda said:
whats and LSD ?
when you guys are launching in the auto do you mean putting one foot on the brake then putting foot on accelerator till
you get to a certain rpm?
if thats the case whats this stall device do ?
oh yeah whats a torque convertor?

any help would help.:D
When launching in an auto, w/ one foot smashed on the brake and the other on the accelerator our torque convertor allows us to get up to around 2000 - 2500 rpms. With the upgrade, we should be able to get up to higher rpms before launch.

·
Registered
248 Posts
really ? 2k rpm - ive done the same method and have launched at 5k+
if our cars auto box is limited to 2k rpm what happens if you try and exceed that does it stall ? or the auto box shits itself?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i still have my old tranny less than 15k under full rebuild by gtpro. tranny has all the goodies shift kit, high stall TC and clutch end. i'm selling it 1000.00.

there is not problem with the tranny. i just converted my car to 95 5spd that's y im selling it.

let me know

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You cannot hold your foot on the break and press the gas and get 5K rpm's. We have a lock stall converter and it locks at like 2800 rpms (/me thinks is is that high) You can do a neutral launch at 5K and fuck the shit out of your tranny though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
if you say it locks at 3k rpms does show up on the tachometer?
I done this again last night and I launched at 5k so I dont know?
It could be the previous owner could have done work to my car as I could have a TC my car is a GTO. so it could be an issue with the 3000gt/stealths there in america :confused:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
It could be on ours only since they also gave us FWD.. grr..
Anyway here when you hold in the brake even if you floor the gas it only goes up to about 2800RPM or so... that's why when I went to the track I would push the gas up until I got to about that point... then when the light turned green I let off the brake and floored it since I had plenty of room to go. Perhaps that's why my time is 1/2-1 sec faster than it should be. ;)

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The t.c. mod makes the t.c. "freespin" to about 3000 r.p.m.Eventhough the stock t.c. will powerbrake to about 2500 r.p.m.it feels as if it has an extreme load on it.My problem has been the fact that I either get too much wheel spin at 3k or if I launch at about 2k I get better times but the car needs more power to get on top of the gearing.If i could get about 25 more h.p.the car would really launch great.The shift kit is the single best mod I think you can do for the auto tranny.It is easy to install and fairly cheap.The gear shifts are crisp and firm and the downshifts are instant.

·
Cops Love Me
1,395 Posts
Mikes95RT said:
The t.c. mod makes the t.c. "freespin" to about 3000 r.p.m.Eventhough the stock t.c. will powerbrake to about 2500 r.p.m.it feels as if it has an extreme load on it.My problem has been the fact that I either get too much wheel spin at 3k or if I launch at about 2k I get better times but the car needs more power to get on top of the gearing.If i could get about 25 more h.p.the car would really launch great.The shift kit is the single best mod I think you can do for the auto tranny.It is easy to install and fairly cheap.The gear shifts are crisp and firm and the downshifts are instant.
easy to install? as in what do you need to do? I emailed GT-Pro and they told me you definatly need a professional to install it..

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mutilator

Mutilator; do you recall what your 1/8 mile time and mph were by any chance? thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
excellent, i would much appreciate that. do you by any chance remember what time of the year you ran?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
The shift kit was easy.Remove the tranny pan& filter,remove all the bolts that hold the valve body in,disconnect the senoids and remove the valve body.Take it inside and lay it out on a towel.Sepaerate the upper valve body from the lower valve body.Lay out the stuff in the order it came apart make notes if need be.Clean everything in warm soapy water and install everything using the springs in the kit.You will need to buy a set of machinest bits to drill a few holes in the seperater plates.Its really way easier than it sounds.The instructions in the Translab kit are very clear and the pics are good.The T.C. is a royal P.I.T.A.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts