Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Have any of you guys ever had a chance to race a honda s2000? I personally dont like rice but, i just wanted to know how they would compare to a TT.
Anyways a friend off mine just got a white z28 a few months ago. It is basically stock beside a chip that he claimes it has.It is the auto version but is still incredibly fast. Not to long ago he was up on the freeway when a decked out s2000 pulled up next to him. He really didnt know what it was at first, but knew that this was going to be his first real race. before he knew it the honda was on it , just as he punched his from around 65. they went up to about 95-100mph where he probaly had a half car on the s2000. he looked over at the guy, who was fumbling around with something by he strearing wheel. Before he knew it he heard the guys tires break lose for a second and the guy was gone....Wtf?? He thinks it was nos since after a while he caught back up with him. He eiether ran out off the Nos or just slowed down. Anyways they both slow down to 90 (speed trap) and before you knew it the honda missed his exit and cut my buddy off, making him lock his wheels and slam into the right wall then left wall. he compleatly totaled his car because of some stupid ricer , who cut him off!!! The good part is the honda guy was arrested for hit and run, and speeding. the cop saw ever thing that hapened!
My buddy now is waiting to get his insurance money and wants to get a s2000
:mad: or a TT. He wants to know which is faster stock vs. stock, and what is eaisier to modd? I need your help fast before he get this honda!

:eek:

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Stock for stock, the LS1 will blow away an S2000. Not even in the same league. Once you mod, things go out the window...

·
Member 0564
1,915 Posts
NOOOO

Hey man, that is really dumb what that S2000 did. But its good that your friend is alright. And about him wanting to get an S2000 or a TT. Well i don't particularly respect hondas, but the S2000 does have 240 horses and for a 2.0 I4 thats pretty damn good! Anyway, if he has the money to buy a 35,000 dollar honda, tell him to buy a 3rd gen VR4 and have 10 or so thousand left over for mods. I think the choice is easy....TT!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
honda s2000 0-60 5.1-5.3 (stock)

car-stats.com

I like that car especially the fact it comes convertable standard and 6 speed manuel and it will beat the vr4 stock vs stock.

·
Registered
281 Posts
what

Beat the VR4 stock for stock!!???!! Are you insane. The S2000 is ass. It doesnt get power until like 6500rpms...what good is that. S2000 vs VR4.......VR4 no doubt.

V

·
0 Posts
nyc228 said:
honda s2000 0-60 5.1-5.3 (stock)

car-stats.com

I like that car especially the fact it comes convertable standard and 6 speed manuel and it will beat the vr4 stock vs stock.
Honda S2000 won't beat a stock VR4.I think those numbers are
way off.Honda itself claimed that S2000 does 0-60 in 5.8 sec.
Stock VR4 will do 0-60 in 5.1-5.3 for the first gen,and 4.7-5.0
on the second gen.
From a roll,I would think the VR4'd still win.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
No Question

A 2G VR4 will kill an S2000. Note there really is no 3G [97-99], they are all 2G [94-99]. But I'd get a 97 or newer if I could afford it, lower miles, slight new styling, newer car, etc. lash adjusters that doesn't TICK!!! :D

At any rate, the S2000 might seem impressive, 240 hp, but consider that it comes at 8300 RPM, and the torque is a pathetic, 153 ftlbs @ 7500 RPM! :eek: Not only will it be slower than HELL at the bottom of every gear, it will NEVER feel the grunt pin you in the seat acceleration of a VR4 or of course LS1. Many of the guys I've talked to that went VR4 to 1st gen NSX, said even that is unsatisfying in that it is far inferior to the VR4 in low-end grunt. I don't think I could ever give away those high-G accelerations.

As for being faster, haha :D NO grrr... :mad:. An S2000 will run low 5s to sixty, even the 1st gen runs 5.1, the 2nd gen runs 4.7. And in the quarter, any 2nd gen will easily push mid 13s [13.4-5s], easily a half second ahead of the S2000 which still [even after an extra half second] traps under 100 mph. Sorry buddy, the 2G VR4 is as much ahead of the S2000 as it is behind the C5; and in this case, WE still get the launch. No competition, no grunt, power at 8300 rpms, torque at 7500 - think of it as a supercharged Miata with weaker low-end.

No question here, the 2G VR4 is easily faster. Tell him to get a 1997 or newer VR4, or if he wants, a still slightly faster than an S2000, Spyder VR4 ~ [13.6-7s]. As long as he doesn't bog the launch like Road & Track did every single time :rolleyes:, he'll still eat 2000s.

As for mods, hihi, haha, hoho, hehe - yes; :D everyone knows you can hit 12s with $500, 11s with $3000 in a 2g VR4. As for the S2000, to even break past the mid-13s, you'd probably need to drop a few grand on a Jackson Racing supercharger , after it comes out that is [not available yet!]. No question again, this is like comparing a 2002 Mustang GT to an Integra Type-R.

It must be a fast & fun little vert sportscar [awesome for what it does], but the only fast drag S2000 I know off was featured in the Fast & the Furious – [and all it did was take a Jetta… :D].

Of course, he could also just get a Supra and kill z06s with $2000... or another LS1 and do the same for $4000.

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Haha

hitemup21 said:
i can't believe someone posted that an s2k would beat a vr4! take that crap to a honda site!
That's good - welcome to 3Si buddy.

·
aint scared of no snake
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks alot for the responses, it seems over all a TT would be faster regardless if its a 1st or 2nd gen.
Speaking of supra....I forgot to mention, This friend off mine must now be hooked on the "Fast and the furious" he said the supra might be on his list also, but i quickly told him the insurance would be way to high, let alone for someone under 25! :rolleyes: Is this true? I belive there is someone on this board that owns both a 3/S TT and a supra turbo; which one is more expensive on the insurance?

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
Fumbling something near the steering wheel? Tires breaking loose at interstate speed? I think someone's been watching The Fast and the Furious.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
368 Posts
lol relax .. I didnt mean it that way . All I said is honda is a nice car ... and for a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder .. getting close to a vr4 is good. Plus don't forget that it has no turbo ... that means it competes with the base model. What if you put a twin turbo in a s2000 what would happen then??

anyway .. point is .. vr4 and s2000 both nice cars ... :)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
It'd be hard to put a twin turbo on the S2000 engine because it has such high compression ( a number of people have commented on how tuned the engine is ).. you could run one, but at low PSI. It'd cost a lot to make one of those really fast, which is true for most Hondas anyway :)

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
Hehe

nyc228 said:
Plus don't forget that it has no turbo ... that means it competes with the base model. What if you put a twin turbo in a s2000 what would happen then??
BBOOOMMM! :D

Shoot, someone beat me too it :(. Yes it is a nice car, but if you care about serious acceleration, you'll need a twin turbo or V8.

As for Supra, the guy goes by TwinTurboMan [I think]. Also, I doubt the Supra turbo costs any more at all than a VR4 insurance wise. Come on, if I took my Twin turbo and upgraded it to a Viper GTS ~ it would raise the insurance by about $30 a month - wow [I wanted to see how much depended on the cost of the car, not performance, seems any 13 sec car is expensive as hell period]. And VR4 - Supra are practically identical in price and stock abilities, not like a VIPER. Still expect probably $2000 a year for insurance. :MAD:

·
VT Hokie Fan
2,371 Posts
blkstealth

Hey nice sig pic - can I have a copy without the editing? I was considering removing my banana spoiler ~ wondered what it would look like [also Black]. Looks sweet.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
DAMN Telionis...I luv the way you emphasise your points with color changes. LOL

But NONETHELESS the point is simple A TT WILL RIPP THE SHIT OUT OF A S2000. AND FROM A STOP DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT...I WONT BOTHER COMMENTING ON THAT.....THE BOARD KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN IN THAT SITUATION. :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
i'd like to anyone brave enough to put a twin turbo on a honduh!!
why not just drive around with a couple grenades under your hood?? while you're twin turbo-ing this mythical beast, why not throw a 200 shot of nitrous in there for fun also? better get a rice boy carbon fiber hood to keep your pistons in your engine bay when they bust through the head.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Telionis: check out <a href="http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=50503">this thread</a> of mine, has pictures of my conversion :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I raced an S2000 a couple of months ago. Im in a 99 with an intake and exhaust with another passenger and a sound system, with a guy by himself in his s2000. We stopped at a green light, I thought we were gonna wait for a red and go on green, but he decideds to dart off and takes an immediate 2-3 car lead, and since I didn't get to take advantage of my AWD, It took me until I was at 90 to pass him...but I was quite a ferocious pass. Nice cars...matter of fact I wanted one at one point...but as far as mod-ability and dollars-to-speed ratio, VR4 wins. Just my input.

·
I Want Twin Turbos Too!
1,600 Posts
The S2000 are neat cars. But for them to perform like they can, you have to beat the crap out of them. They run about even with a new Mustang GT. 0-60 in the upper to mid fives, and 1/4 around 14.0 seconds. That is assuming you are willing to wind it out to it's 8,900-rpm redline. :eek: And there are almost no mods you can do to it to make it faster save for forced induction (which is not cheap (unless you do Nitrous). Even one of the Magazines tested one that had a whole crap load of mods (about $20-grand of mods I think) and it was a sliver faster than the stock S2000. I would think the build quality would be better than a F-body, but then again they don't have 375-foot pounds of torque to twist the chassis into a pretzel like we do. He should get the Supra TT and go BPU and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts