Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone lowered their boost below stock levels. I would like to change the wastegate spring or control arm to drop my boost far below the stock leve to lets say 4 psi or 0 if possible, and then be able to control it with my boost ctr. Has anyone done ths before?

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Its going to feel awfully sluggish if you lower it to 0 psi. I use my Blitz DSBC to lower it to 6 psi. Just turn the unit off and it will run off the wastegates boost level plus or minus a psi as the springs in the wastegates get old. If you want the 0 psi though changing wastegates would be the thing to do, though I've never heard of anyone running 0psi.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It will be horrid...

MBC's allow you to run low PSI...a friend of mine and me turned his down as low as it would go on his 2003 Impreza WRX...and man did it suck...i think a damn mini-van would have pulled on it...i guess b/c the way his turbo's are set to spool...he has no low-end torque or so it seems 0k-3k rpms...Well as far as a VR-4 goes...prolly runnin 0psi will be like an N/A or a lil worse...

·
2,243 Posts
I run mine at 6 PSI for normal driving.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have an HKS EVC EZ and when i turn it off it boosts at 5. SO i do that all day long until i want to race.

·
Registered
331 Posts
right now i am only running 7psi because one of my wastegate actuators are messed up and man does it suck. i couldn't imagine running it at 0 psi. but i guess its just me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think its fun having it boost at 5 sometimes. I'll race some of the riced out civics in town and barely beat them. Then ill hear for the next week about this guy bragging that my 6 cylinder, twin turbo, all wheel drive car barely beat his civic. It's great- i had one guy driving and Infinity come wanting to bet money on a race based on info he receieved from one of these guys i raced while only boosting 5. So i said ok- then turned it too 14. Man was he suprised- and i was 20 dollars richer. Its fun

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Re: It will be horrid...

1sexy3kGT said:
prolly runnin 0psi will be like an N/A or a lil worse...
a SOHC n/a...a DOHC n/a would be faster than a TT minus boost.

DOHC engine runs 10:1 compression. The TT and SOHC are both under 9:1 compression (can't remember exact numbers). Come to mention it, a TT without boost still weighs 400+ lbs more than a SOHC, so any n/a should be faster than a TT @ 0psi ;)

~matt

·
Registered
944 Posts
I don't get it, you buy a VR4 or TT and then want to run 0 psi?? Even better is running 6 psi then barely pulling a freaking civic, no wonder there's so much BS flying around that VR4s are overweight and slow!!

My advice keep it cranked at 12psi and manage boost with your left foot. Keeps you ready for the ever serious challenge of a civic.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't need to boost 12 at every car that comes next to me. I know what my car can do and its all in fun when i race a civic while boosting 5. It makes it more fun for me. I know damn well ill kill most the civics that come up next to me- so why not just play around with them. Plus too tell u the truth- i want to treat this car as good as possible, which means i baby it around as much as i can. I don't race it up and down the street like many people. I'll race it when the time is right.

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
So why not just keep it set at 12 or 15 and not go WOT - regulate it by only going partial throttle. :confused:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass or anything, just wondering what your reasoning is for not doing that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well ... isn't the minimum boost around 6 psi? I thought that when the wastegate was fully oppened you'd still get some boost.

Oh and BTW you can manage not to make any boost... just by not pressing the right pedal :) can't you :D

ZB

·
It's like that
2,759 Posts
Yep, the wastegages are open at 6 PSI. If you go easy on the throttle you won't ever hit boost. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Whatever floats your boat then, but as was stated earlier, if you don't wanna hit high boost why not just keep from flooring the gas. I also don't see the point of leaving the boost at 5-6psi. I also rarely race, only if I come across a known fast car. I have nothing to gain and everything to loose by racing a civic, it's lots more fun racing the V8's, stangs, camaro's, etc. 95% of my racing is done at the drag strip, I think I've had like 4-5 street races since owning my VR4.

·
Native
3,894 Posts
lowest I can go is 6psi, cause that's when the stock dump valves are activated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I want to drop off the boost when i am on the freeway in 6th gear. If i even touch the gas pedal when i am cruising on the freeway, i start to boost. Once your ECU ready any positive vac pressure, a longer duration is givin to your injectors using up a lot more fuel. I find when I try to say out of boost I more than double my gas milage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I also do not want to boost on cold mornings when I do not have time to warm up the engine before driving.

I need some technical info...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts