Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , need info on lowering my 1991 GTO AWD Japan market model JDM , can I use lowering coilovers for a 3000GT base , pointers and info welcome , thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
No, the rear mounting are different from the AWD to FWD. From what I've gathered and read since owning one, the bottom strut piece is different on the rears. Now USDM vs JDM, am not sure about that; hopefully someone can chime in on that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The GTO was only available as AWD. I bought D2 coilovers for my GTO that were meant for a 3000GT AWD. They fit perfectly, so I'd assume there are no differences between an AWD GTO and an AWD 3000GT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The coilovers or struts are made for FWD cars or AWD cars. They dont care if its TT or AWS or Auto. The rear subframe stays almost exactly the same across all the awd cars with the only difference being an oem aws delete kit (some other minor differences as well if you try to put a AWS rack on a non AWS rear subframe, but still very easily done)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The coilovers or struts are made for FWD cars or AWD cars. They dont care if its TT or AWS or Auto. The rear subframe stays almost exactly the same across all the awd cars with the only difference being an oem aws delete kit (some other minor differences as well if you try to put a AWS rack on a non AWS rear subframe, but still very easily done)
Thanks for the info , ordering a set of coilovers for a base 3000GT for my JDM red GTO , it will no longer look like a 4x4 car

·
Registered
31 Posts
My JDM NA GTO has no all wheel steering , any guru here knows if the rear strut is similar to a base FWD .
Can I go this route to lower my car with the stock struts > https://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGAN-Lowering-Lower-Springs-Spring-Drop-F-2-25-R-2-5-for-3000GT-91-99-AWD/231915787962?fits=Model:3000GT|Submodel:VR-4|Make:Mitsubishi&epid=24017005423&hash=item35ff4216ba:g:djkAAOSwYeRaMuIA
N/A AWD GTO has the same rear subframe as a AWD VR4 (Turbo). FWD cars have a different rear sub-frame and suspension.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts