Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It breaks my heart, but the time has come to part with my first performance car, a fully loaded single owner '93 3000 VR-4 with only 14,800 miles on the odometer. It has always been garage-kept under a car cover and has never been exposed to any kind of weather. Strictly a weekend good weather toy. Never been tracked or even driven hard - tachometer has never seen > 4500 rpm. Always had a nose bra on the front and sheepskin seat covers on the driver & passenger side front seats. So no stone chips, scuffs, blemishes or marks on the exterior paint and no wear on the leather seats. Color is Morocco Red Pearl outside and beige/cream color interior. Everything still works. New B.F. Goodrich all weather tires with < 300 miles on them. Really is in near-showroom condition. Only mod is an electronic boost controller (EBC) I bought from BlackStealth on this forum. With an EBC you can convert the Gen 1 engine to Gen 2 320 hp power just by turning a small dial where the console ashtray used to be. Also performs diagnostics with many more features. The EBC is not a permanent mod - can be easily removed and reverted to stock.
Clean Carfax report.

I realize most of the members of this forum look for high mileage discount 3000s that need work, and this one is in pristine condition because it's been treated like a baby since I bought it in '93. But maybe you know someone who's looking for a low mileage Gen 1 VR-4.
Auction will end on Nov. 11.

Anyone interested in checking this low mileage '93 VR-4 out can see the preview here:

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It breaks my heart, but the time has come to part with my first performance car, a fully loaded single owner '93 3000 VR-4 with only 14,800 miles on the odometer. It has always been garage-kept under a car cover and has never been exposed to any kind of weather. Strictly a weekend good weather toy. Never been tracked or even driven hard - tachometer has never seen > 4500 rpm. Always had a nose bra on the front and sheepskin seat covers on the driver & passenger side front seats. So no stone chips, scuffs, blemishes or marks on the exterior paint and no wear on the leather seats. Color is Morocco Red Pearl outside and beige/cream color interior. Everything still works. New B.F. Goodrich all weather tires with < 300 miles on them. Really is in near-showroom condition. Only mod is an electronic boost controller (EBC) I bought from BlackStealth on this forum. With an EBC you can convert the Gen 1 engine to Gen 2 320 hp power just by turning a small dial where the console ashtray used to be. Also performs diagnostics with many more features. The EBC is not a permanent mod - can be easily removed and reverted to stock.
Clean Carfax report.

I realize most of the members of this forum look for high mileage discount 3000s that need work, and this one is in pristine condition because it's been treated like a baby since I bought it in '93. But maybe you know someone who's looking for a low mileage Gen 1 VR-4.
Auction will end on Nov. 11.

Anyone interested in checking this low mileage '93 VR-4 out can see the preview here:
Slight correction. Auction will begin on Friday, Nov. 4 and end on Friday, Nov. 11.

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
Nice car! I would try to detail it better if you want top dollar. It's pretty dirty/dusty under the hood, behind the fuel filler door, etc. I'm curious why you chose that auction site vs BAT or C&B since many more 3000GT's have been sold there? I didn't realize they auctioned a 1999 VR4 w/168 miles for $100K, wow!

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips BeeGee. Yes, you got it! I chose Bonhams over BAT or C&B since they are a more high-end auction house with a lot of well-to-do clientele. And they are determined to outperform BAT & C&B so they do a lot more pre-sale marketing to prospective buyers of vintage autos. I am forced to sell to help offset the costs of renovations on my home, so fingers crossed ...

Earlier this year Bonhams broke the record for a VR-4 sale at just over 100K, on a car that had been sitting in storage for 20 some years with only 168 miles on the odometer:

And yet that '99 still had some stone chips in the paint (mine does not because I always kept a nose bra on it until the photo shoot). The later year VR-4s actually gave up some of the innovative 3000 technology such as ECS, active aero and active exhaust features of the 1st gen VR-4s. Not to mention the factory-tuned equalizer AM/FM cassette player. Bonham's has a sound video of a cold startup of my '93 that they will put up for the auction so buyers can hear the active exhaust tones.

· en**un**lightened
1,811 Posts
If I were able to choose precisely which 3S I could own, a '93 VR4 would be top-o-the-list...😉

· Science, bitch!
1992 VR4
965 Posts
If I were able to choose precisely which 3S I could own, a '93 VR4 would be top-o-the-list...
Agreed. I like my 92.5, it has everything but the 4 bolt mains. I have a forged crank 2 bolt now though, so that’s plenty strong for my needs. A clean ‘93 VR4 with 4 bolt mains is the perfect 3S IMO. Good luck with the auction!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Auction has gone live. Ends at 4 PM (might be west coast time) on Nov. 11, a week from today. Bonham's increased the expected price range to $40-$50K, probably based on their experience with the '99 VR-4 that sold for $100K. They had initially estimated to would sell in the $15-25K range. Must have been one very surprised owner ..... :ROFLMAO:

· en**un**lightened
1,811 Posts
Luck! :)

· Registered
95 VR-4 Spyder
383 Posts
I was keeping an eye on this, sadly it didn't bring what was hoped, but closer to what was estimated originally. Sadly outside of the 99's, these things just don't sell for much, such a shame, even with the great condition and low mileage this thing had.

· Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
18,384 Posts
He should have put an Acura sticker on it and painted NSX on the side, would have gotten close to 100K.
Unfortunately, as much as we want our cars to gain exponentially in value, it never really happens.
I sold my "spotless" 95 Spyder VR4 (with ~115K miles) for $26K (and that included a LOT of extras....top diagnostic tools, engine diagnostic tools, cover....blah, blah, blah...)
#3 off the production line, should have gotten 3x what I received. Knew it was never going to happen.

Pretty sure that the problem is that the "parts train" went around the track.
Some extremely normal stuff is getting harder and harder to find. Forget the Spyder unique stuff.

I never wanted to sell my Spyder (or 92TT), but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't buy them back again....sorry.

Bob.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts